What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Engine Oil prices - Avantra
I have always done my own oil+filter change on my 96 Almera every 5000 miles and the engine is sweet. I am using the recommended 10W/40 type from Halfords. 4 litres cost £18 in the last 2 years.
Yesterday I came across the 10W/40 from Tesco at £5.97 for the same amount. I am thinking to switch to Tesco's but is there any different between the brands? The viscosity is the same, just thought it might save me few bobs as I am changing oil 3 times a year. Anyone used Tesco?s own brand?
Engine Oil prices - Rishab C
It is perfactly possible to make and sell an excellent oil for £6, the fact that most charge 3 times that does not mean this will be rubbish, your best guide will be the service/performance specifications by ACEA or API. Check these on the containers, and then look on API and ACEAs website for what they mean, or consult the vehicle's owner's manual.
Engine Oil prices - Doc
See also Oil Specification & viscosity Info above.

Engine Oil prices - Avantra
The specifications on both containers are the same and the car manual only talk about 10W/40 as the best choice (no specific brand). So I guess if there is no different I can give Tesco a try. This will make the basic oil change cost 5.97 for oil and £3.2 for the filter = £9.2
Now I need to think what to do with the change. May be put it towards a new tyre:)
Engine Oil prices - storme
if your going to do the oil 3 times a year,,then i can see no reason for it to be bad for the car at all..

--
www.storme.co.uk
Engine Oil prices - steveo3002
ive asked that question before and never got much of an answer...im thinking tesco/cheapy shop oil could be just the same as £20 stuff but without the fancy silver can

im happy to spend £x for quality oil , but i dont like paying extra for a fancy can or brand name
Engine Oil prices - greatspirit
agree with others if API or ACEA specs ok then use it; inexpensive oil is available from screwfix; consider buying oil in larger containers from a motor factor
Engine Oil prices - Stuartli
It will be most likely recycled oil - nothing wrong with that as it never loses its viscosity - which will have been cleaned and had new additives.

You really need to be sure that the additives are good enough, but if the oil meets the necessary specifications than you might as well save money.

I used this type of recycled oil in my older cars in the past; it used to be either £2.99 or £3.99 a can then...:-)

However, to be frank, I now use National and its £15 oil and semi-synthetic Duckhams oil service for my Bora. I can't buy the oil and filter even from the motor factors for that price and would still have to do the messy side myself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Engine Oil prices - GrahamF1
I believe there's a 2 for 1 at Halfords at the moment - on the (£18.99 for 5 litres) own-brand fully synthetic.
Engine Oil prices - TrevL
Avantra, No problems if my experience is anything to go by. I used the Tetrasyl 15W/50 (£5.99 for 5litres, Morrison supermarket) for oil changes every 5k on my VW diesel; recently sold on but has 180,000 on the clock now and is still running smoothly.
Engine Oil prices - quizman
The cheapest oil that you can buy is the best, and this is the most expensive.

Decent oil is much cheaper than a new engine.
Engine Oil prices - Rishab C
You're confusing price and quality. The two don't neccessarily correlate...
e.g.
If you were to buy a 1Kg M&S trifle for £3.99, it would be identical to a Sansbury's Basics one for £1.99, made on the same production line, just packaged for a different market and social group, but the quality is the same.
Engine Oil prices - oilman
Put bluntly, you get what you pay for.

An oil is not an oil is an oil, basestock and addative quality varies. It's like everything in life, it's cheap for a reason!

Cheers
Simon
Engine Oil prices - spikeyhead {p}
There's a significant difference between price and cost.

Of the ACEA ratings are the same and its getting regular changes in an engine that's not a high performance one then cheap oil is fine.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Engine Oil prices - mreerie
ive seen the oil on screwfix is that anygood?
were is the api spec website .what will this tell me
will it be anyworse than halfords own oil..