Peugeot 306 - Comfort? - TimW
Just been looking at 306's ('93 - '01 model).

There's SEATS's about at the moment, and I quite like the 306's.

So, what are they like? I'm just over 6ft, and I've heard the driving position is a bit dodgy and the pedals are at funny position...can anyone advise?

Actually, if anyone has any info on these cars at all I'd be grateful - I've never really thought of getting one until now.

Peugeot 306 - Comfort? - blue_haddock
Which model are you looking at as the seats differ depending on model - the sportier models (XSi, DTurbo, S16 and GTi6) all have bucket style seats that i find comfy as they hold you well. The less sporty models have a normal type seat and i'm personally not keen on them as they don't hold you as much as the buckets. However if your not such an enthuisiastic driver they're probably OK.

I know a lot of people who drive 306's and i've driven them quite a bit and I'm not aware of a problem with the pedal position. I once had an AX GT that had a slightly offset pedal box and that did give my knees some stick.

As for the size you'll have no problem, one of my mates is 6"7, 18 stone and has size 15 feet - he drives a 306 DTurbo without a problem.
Thanks BH, that's great.

What's the pedal position actually like then? I find my Fiesta alright, as good as a basic little hatch is going to be. Are they literally set to one side?

Sorry for all the questions, I think a test drive is the best idea but just want to get an idea before hand.
Peugeot 306 - Comfort? - blue_haddock
In my opinion the pedal position is fine , there is a decent gap between each pedal so if you have got big feet your not going to catch them.

If you want more info on 306's why not come over to www.psooc.com and have a chat on the forum there - we're a nice friendly bunch and there are loads of 306 experts who can answer any queries.
If you want more info on 306's why not come over
to www.psooc.com and have a chat on the forum there -
we're a nice friendly bunch and there are loads of 306
experts who can answer any queries.

Signed up :^D
Peugeot 306 - Comfort? - AN Other
I'm running a 94 very basic model 306 non-turbo diesel at the mo. Sounds awful, doesn't it? It's actually not. Pretty comfortable driving position and seats, fairly refined for what it is, and not bad for the occasional m way journey. Even my gf, who normally drives an Audi A2, thought it was actually "quite nice to drive" after she borrowed it for a day last weekend.

I'd want power steering if I had another, but the other electrical toys are just more things to go wrong and irritate you on an ageing Pug, so don't be too put off by the more basic models.
Peugeot 306 - Comfort? - SjB {P}
SWMBO has a 33k mile 1995 306 1.8 SR Sedan. Interior fit is only a couple of levels up from an Airfix kit, with a chunky approach to everything, although it must be said there isn't a single squeak or rattle. Clattery-at-idle XU7 engine is quite torquey and purrs nicely in a 60-80 MPH cruise, though starts to boom above that and certainly doesn't like exploring the rev limiter. MPG averages 35. The car has a timeless quality to the body shape too, still looking pert and fresh 10 years on, and with not a spot of rust.

The best bit though, of relevance to this post, is the comfort; truly the best riding car I have ever driven, Jags at the height of their game included. It doesn't go to pot when laden, either. Pretty basic seats are no match for our 2003 Volvo V70 in any department, but they are comfortable enough for several hours at the wheel. My only complaint is front seat headroom, restricted by the sun roof.

Somehow, Peugeot have managed to combine such a compliant magic carpet ride with spot-on, taught, damping over sharp crests, pin sharp handling, and terrific steering feel. Yes, this is also the easiest front wheel drive car I have ever driven to push to the absolute limit of grip, know exactly what's going on twixt road and tyre, and clip apexes with millimetric accuracy. It really hangs on too, with the limit of grip being way above what 175/65x14 high profile tyres might imply.

In contrast, the heavy 307s I have driven all rode and handled with the relative subtlety of a drunken elephant.

We purchased the car nearly three years ago as a cheap (£2601, with the £1 securing it in a sealed bids auction!), genuine low mileage, known entity (from the estate of the deceased owner) as my wife's first car. If it got dented or damaged out and about (she's a community midwife, often parking where I'd rather not), then so be it. Since then it has proven to be an honest and 100% reliable car costing buttons to run, and to possess all the attributes described above. I would never previously have touched a French car, but am now so pleased we didn't go for the obvious competition.
Wow - good posts guys, thankyou!

I'm pleased I've 'found' these cars, they seem ideal.

And there's more of them about than Leons!
Peugeot 306 - Comfort? - smokescreen
I can so vouch for the reply above this. Couldnt have put it better myself. I drive a 306 DTurbo which has the even nicer bucket seats.

I learned how to drive in a Ford Focus, and the 306 compares incredibly well to the focus in terms of ride quality and handling.

It really is something special, even when I do my regular 420mile weekend roundtrip I dont get a bit of backache and at 70mph~ its very smooth and economical (50+ MPG easily).

Go try one, dturbo model is well worth considering - if you can find one!