What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - arnold2
Hi,
Noticed in one of HJ's responses in the Telegraph a recommendation that 4x4's were a good idea with today's poorly-repaired roads and traffic 'calming' measures.

What I am wondering is this - is a stiffly-sprung 'sports' suspension set-up, or a softly-sprung 'exec' type set-up, on a normal car, better or worse with regards potential damage ?
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Ex-Moderator
>>4x4's were a good idea with today's poorly-repaired roads and traffic 'calming' measures

Complete and utter nonsense. What difference does four wheel drive make to bumps and holes ? None, unless you're worried about getting stuck in them.

e.g. a Fiat Panda 4x4 - that will solve which problem with poorly repaired roads ??

Equally, what problem needs to be solved ? If you hit a speed ramp at any speed in something like a Landcruiser then you're going to be concussed by the roof, have your knees smashed by the dash and your false teeth shaken out by the bouncing.

This sort of thinking shows exactly why people should not be allowed out on their own in large, truck based vehicles without additional tuition. If you want to blast over speed bumps, then get a Citroen. All cars such as the Landcruiser have is more ground clearance.

As for stiff versus soft suspension; I'd guess that soft will be more comfortable, but neither will protect your vehicle from damage if you do it too fast.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Rishab C
Hmmm, I cross over 16,000 humps a year, and was also thinking about a 4x4 (as in offroader) next as I am sick to death of them, but I also remember how bouncy my parent's Range Rover was, it would sort of overshoot the bump. Do the 4x4s (exclusing Pandas and Subaru Justys) straddle wedge-shaped 'cushions'? they seem to be making these bigger so that they will try and split a large car in half as well as a small one. Next time I change cars, I will be measuring the track between the insides of the tyres, and try and get a wider one if possible. I don't much like French cars due to the electronic demons.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - local yokel
SUVs can have some pretty heavy tyre/wheel combinations, and it's the weight that causes the suspension some problems when going over speed humps or through road depressions, at speed. Making the wheel rim from alloy reduces unsprung weight, which is good, but then putting a low profile tyre onto it a) makes it look like it's owned by a drug dealer and b) makes it prone to damage from bad roads.

The best car for the problem would be a 2CV, but that would be unacceptable for other reasons.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Terry W

Agree totally with 2CV or Dyane (very similar underneath the tin foil bodywork).

Had one 30+ years ago - could take speed humps at 30mph and you didn't even feel a slight jolt. Design spec included ploughed field and egg so totally fit for purpose.

SUV with stiff suspension simply transmits any road inadequacies to vehicle structure.

Soft compliant suspension reduces shock loads on the structure - the price paid is usually body roll. Softly sprung seats absorb and shock load on the driver and passengers.

Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Dalglish
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Adam {P}
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - No Do$h

Not a reposte, but a breakdown of Mark's comments based on my own experience.

Complete and utter nonsense. What difference does four wheel drive make to bumps and holes ? None, unless you're worried about getting stuck in them.
holes ?

Valid point. Even driving around trails strewn with rocks varying from fist to skull sized, it's rare that we need to engage 4wd in the L200. Ditto the X-trail I borrowed for 24 hours and tested somewhat more extensively than I let on to the salesman....

e.g. a Fiat Panda 4x4 - that will solve which problem with poorly repaired roads ??

Greater road clearance may prevent the rare instances of over-height speed ramps (this from someone who is about to fork out for a new sump and attempt to reclaim from a local authority once I've been out with a spirit level and a tape measure) but it hardly counts as a compelling reason to get a 4x4 when many cars have greater ground clearance than my 156.

Equally, what problem needs to be solved ? If you hit a speed ramp at any speed in something like a Landcruiser then you're going to be concussed by the roof, have your knees smashed by the dash and your false teeth shaken out by the bouncing.

Again, agree 100%. The L200 gets airborne over speed bumps at anything over 10mph. The X-trail faired better, but again, 4x4s aren't usually designed to tackle what is essentially an off-road impact at on-road speeds.

This sort of thinking shows exactly why people should not be allowed out on their own in large, truck based vehicles without additional tuition. If you want to blast over speed bumps, then get a Citroen. All cars such as the Landcruiser have is more ground clearance.

Anyone see anything wrong with this statement? No? Next.....

As for stiff versus soft suspension; I'd guess that soft will be more comfortable, but neither will protect your vehicle from damage if you do it too fast.

Again, nothing controversial here.

Seriously Dalglish, I don't see anything wrong here. Mark has probably done more offroad hours in threshold survival situations than many of us have had hot dinners. My wife and I also have to off-road for business purposes and I've had more than my fair share of recreational offroading, including some pretty memorable stuff on Salisbury plain a few years back. We both support the choice to buy a 4x4 but both advocate extra care and tuition before people are let loose in these things. Note that's tuition to get people in, not taxation to get people out.

Either way, a wider understanding of the abilities of your average 4x4 would perhaps make some people switch to an estate or mpv, whilst others may be drawn towards them once their abilities and limitations are known. But to advocate their purchase on the above grounds doesn't tally with my experience.

If the cost of repairs, real or imagined, is a serious reason for not wanting a "normal" car then what about the significantly higher running costs associated with by far the majority of 4x4s? I have to replace the sump on my car, the first in 18 years of driving,and two alloys on a previous car(due to the previous Mrs ND entering a flood when she shouldn't have and encountering debris hidden in the water). Compare the cost (est. £250 for sump and £300 for alloys, so £36 per year) to the extra cost of running a 4x4 in the 300,000 miles I've driven in that time.

I'd welcome any and all comments, both for or against the above. Let the debate roll.
As always, Al comes along and diffuses the situation with some good old common sense.

Ever thought of becoming a mediator Al?
--
Adam
Ever thought of becoming a mediator Al?

LOL. I guess I am, of sorts (although as my all too frequent outbursts of caffeine-fuelled flaming on here will show, I can be as bad or worse than the next contributor).

I have a reasonable amount of experience of management, handling everying from a complaint handling team to a multi £m project and all that entails, however it doesn't always show in here.

In a nutshell, most of us Backroomer pop in here when we can grab some time, be it 5 minutes mid morning when a meeting starts late or an hour on the train on the way home between the ES crossword and the Sudoku. As a result there are usually constraints on our time and we may not allow as much effort in observing the niceties of life when composing our posts as we would perhaps allow in our professional or personal lives. As such we need to make allowances for each other, recognising when a post is out of character, perhaps a little tetchy or just downright grumpy.

None of this is worth angry words or ill feeling (something I need reminding all too frequently). After all, it's ::hushed tones:: just an internet forum; we can turn the pc off if it gets too much......
Exactly Al. Just when I get really angry, I unplug my computer and calm down.

It's worked so far...
--
Adam
Seriously Dalglish, I don't see anything wrong here.

>>

i believe that the car better able to handle potholed/speedbumped roads is an off-roader rather than your average 2 wheel drive family saloon. the question of whether most drivers would know how to drive a 4x4 in such road conditions is an altogether different matter.

although i have never owned a 4x4, i have actually driven and been driven in real off-roaders in unpaved areas of the welsh and scottish hills/mountains. although maybe not as many miles as mark(rlbs).

and been driven in real off-roaders in unpaved areas of the welsh and scottish hills/mountains. although maybe not as many miles as mark(rlbs).

I rather think that you're forgetting where I've driven them. I've been one or two other places, but Chile is perhaps the easiest example.

I worked in the Andes. Not in a town in the Andes, actually in the Andes. About 100 miles from the nearest piece of tarmac, and about 50 miles from the nearest track. And up there we used everything from Hi-Lux to 10-wheel-drive trucks.

One of the most awesome and beautiful places I've ever been, but a place where one is careful or pays the consequences. Even the roads used to get to that area make the worst english track look like an american freeway.

Now, whilst you needed the most capable AWD you could find to get up there, the "roads" to arrive in the area, which were full of potholes, were bad and damaging whatever vehile you were in. The one Citroen we had, which was a knackered old GS Club, did better and more comfortably across those roads than anything else we had.

4WD is useful when its slippery - be that from water or the type of surface that one is on. When else ? mmmmm.... no, can't think of anything.

...Unpaved areas of welsh and scottish hills [snort] !
I rather think that you're forgetting where I've driven them.

>>

not likely with your photo on display at groups.msn.com/honestjohn/people.msnw
and i did acknowledge that you had more experience of driving 4x4s than i could ever claim.

citing the citroen example is akin to stating " dogs have four legs. moggy is a cat. moggy has four legs. and therefore moggy must be a dog. "

and you or one of your colleagues has snipped the rest of my valid points regarding my main point. [yes. And I've done it again, now let it go. Mark].

but that is your privilege, and i accept that.

and you or one of your colleagues has snipped the rest
of my valid points

Don't look at me.

No really, don't. I'm so far from being pleasing to the eye that the NHS are thinking of making it compulsory for me to wear a paper bag at all times.
NHS ? I thought it was the HSE.
NHS ? I thought it was the HSE.

Well lets put it this way; when the car was serviced last they questioned why the seat was mishapen and I'd had the horn removed and replaced with a dirty great bell. Then they saw me......

I should call my car Esmeralda.

(wait for it)

It has a weakness for humps.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - P3t3r
4x4 (SUV's/off-roaders) will just make the roads surface worse due to the weight. These tractor type vehicles are totally inappropriate in my opinion. Having said that these humps are a real nightmare. The issues with 4x4's are too much of a problem though, and I'd be very embarassed to even sit in one.
I'd be very embarassed to even sit in one.

How shallow. Do you always judge what you do by what everybody else may think ? Or is that just in choice of car ?
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Rishab C
LMFAO embarressed to sit in a 4x4?
LOL, they generally don't weigh any more than a large executive saloon, and being higher up and cuboid, you are far more aware of what's going on around you and where each corner is (you can see all corners in a 4x4 (except Fiat Panda and Subaru Justy))

Also, if you made a mistake crossing the road, would you rather go under a tall 4x4 or a car with just a 7" gap under it?
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - cub

I would rather be seen and not hit by any vehicle. As a road user, pedestrian and car driver, I would rather that pedestrians can be seen - big 4WD's bonnet heights hide children and roof heights hide adults; they make pulling out of parking spaces for other drivers difficult. It is known that a pedestrian will receive greater injuries if hit by a 4x4 than a car. They weigh a lot more than a similar sized vehicle. They are more than twice as likely to roll over in an incident. And did I mention they are pointless for most owners? Rishab C is like most 4x4 users - badly informed.

Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Engineer Andy

I would rather be seen and not hit by any vehicle. As a road user, pedestrian and car driver, I would rather that pedestrians can be seen - big 4WD's bonnet heights hide children and roof heights hide adults; they make pulling out of parking spaces for other drivers difficult. It is known that a pedestrian will receive greater injuries if hit by a 4x4 than a car. They weigh a lot more than a similar sized vehicle. They are more than twice as likely to roll over in an incident. And did I mention they are pointless for most owners? Rishab C is like most 4x4 users - badly informed.

I somehow doubt if Rishab cares one way of the other, as I don't recall this person posting anything on the forum in the last few years, given you just replied to a post that was 15+ years old.

The issues with 4x4's are too much of a
problem though, and I'd be very embarassed to even sit in
one.

[tic]Oooh, good point. I'd better get Mrs ND a paper bag so she can hide her shame when driving the 4x4.

Then again, I could always trade the 4x4 in for something "sensible" and we'll see how she gets on at lugging plants around a field in that. [/tic]

Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - doctorchris
I find that a 4x4 is less likely to sustain damage from potholes and speed bumps due to high ground clearance and higher profile tyres but is certainly no more comfortable. French cars are the best for comfort, our old-shape Megane was superb on rough road surfaces.
Now, about all this slagging off of the Panda 4x4. You do sit fairly high up and it takes uneven surfaces and speed bumps on-road a lot better than my Terrano, which incidentally is to be replaced by a Panda 4x4 when Fiat pull their finger out and deliver it.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Garethj
Perhaps the higher profile tyres on some 4x4s would help a bit? Not the case for some of the newer ones with drug-dealer wheels though.

Slowing down might be the cheapest option of course ;-)
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Happy Blue!
USP of Citroens I would have thought?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
I agree about spray on tyres on huge steam-engine wheels. Hit a pothole hard and you will get a burst tyre and a bent alloy.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - barchettaman
, which incidentally
is to be replaced by a Panda 4x4 when Fiat pull
their finger out and deliver it.

DrChris, Are you sure about this? I had one on hire a few months ago and it was *by far* the slowest thing I´ve ever driven. I was beaten away at the lights by cyclists. The 2wd is fantastic, but the 4x4 is, well, not good IMHO.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Big Bad Dave
It looked pretty good on last night?s Fifth Gear when it was embarrassing a new Range Rover
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - barchettaman
Didn´t see it. I only get the BBC out here in Germany.
The one I tried was petrol. Maybe the diesel would be better, as the pettie version gave a whole new meaning to ´underpowered´.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Big Bad Dave
They timed the two of them around an off-road circuit and the Panda was leading until it was caught out by the final incline. Basically, it?s so dainty, it doesn?t break the surface tension of the mud. But you?re right, I wouldn?t want to use one daily on tarmac.
Well almost all of my motoring is around Sunderland at 30mph and when it snows I have a very steep hill up to my house to negotiate. If we go any distance we take the wife's Jazz. So speed does not bother me one bit.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - v0n
In my experience 4x4's are better when it comes to forcing your way through a humpy borrows. But it's not about speed. I approach London humpfields in Toyota Hilux Surf with delicate freight strapped in the back, switch suspension to "soft" and then softly and delicately make my way over the traffic calming measures. Vehicle height and type of suspension means there are no hard hits and punches on neither begining nor end of hump mounting procedure, wheels don't knock on wheel arches with very heavy cargo and unlike van, 4x4 doesn't wobble like a scooner full of fish in storm with payload bouncing from wall to wall. Driving through humps is not enjoyable in any vehicle, doesn't matter if it's aircushioned Xantia, robust Landcruiser or handcrafted Maybach. But if I was to be driven to hospital with bursting appendix through mine fields of Chelsea I'd rather someone took me there in all terrain Toyota than regular ambulance.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - v8man
4X4s do offer more than just ground clearance. They have suspension components built like brick out houses and are far stronger and more resilient to the appalling road surfaces we pay so hansomly for. I agree that 4 wheel drive doesn't assist with speed humps but that is not the point is it? I don't know of any cars with suspension as strong as the average 4X4.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Dalglish,

Your repetitive and pointless stirring has been removed.

Get over it. Start it, or something similar, again and you'll be giving me an excuse to do something I have wanted to do for a long time.

Mark.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Chad.R
Imagine an experiment, where you take a "normal" car, lets say a Mondeo and a 4X4, lets say a Discovery. Then drive them at a constant speed (quite low, say 10-15mph) over a "street circuit" which has, lets say 1000 speed bumps. At the end of 100 laps and 100,000 bumps, measure wear and tear to suspension
components on both. I'd bet that the Mondeo would lose by showing more wear than the Disco's.

If you were to increase the speed, the wear and tear on both would be greater but I'd reckon the difference would remain.

Now, conduct the same experiment but measure ride comfort instead, I'd guess, certainly at lower speeds, that the "normal" car would win due to the more compliant suspension. At higher speeds, both would probably be just as uncomfortable as each other, with perhaps the car marginally better off.

What's my point? If you negotiate speed bumps at lowish speeds (as they are intended to be) then most medium/large cars will be more comfortable than a 4X4. However the wear and tear would be greater to the car. At higher speeds neither is going to be particularly comfortable ........

We currently have 3 cars in the household; A Landcruiser, an Omega and a Yaris and I conducted my own little mini-experiment. At reasonble speeds, the Omega gives the best ride over speed bumps, with the 'Cruiser a close second and the Yaris third. Increase the speed and interestingly, though the Omega still wins, the Yaris pushes the 'Cruiser out to third place.

Make out of that what you will.....

Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Altea Ego
On some cars, Regular road cars, the optimum comfortable speed over traffic calming measures (humps to you and me) is actually faster than the prevailing speed limit.

I have a bit of 4x4 experience off road, and a bit of 4x4 experience on road, but quite a bit in a Bushi L200. It was HATEFULL over humps. It straddles cushions well, but the agricultural springing of the L200 (and most 4x4's are similar)
did not cope comfortably with humps at the same speed as cars.

My experience? A modern family saloon with well sorted suspension (and lets face it - thats most of them these days) is preferable. Dont forget humps have been around a while, and modern car suspension is designed to cope with them. Most 4x4's are not - but a compromise.

NOt driven cayenne/toerag - X5/3 - or XC90 New RR/Disco so cant include them in my summary.

Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - nortones2
Guess work, but I suspect the many bushes in the suspension are the most vulnerable to damage. No doubt LRs and other real off-road vehicles are designed for repeated thumps, but boutique 4x4s?
Funny you should say that RF. On the cushion type things in my Dad's car, driving at 40 over them pretty much irons them out but in mine makes it a lot worse.

Oh well.
--
Adam
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Ivor E Tower
What is the "recommended" speed for tackling these square speed bumps anyway? Both my car and my wifes are not happy at 20mph over the ones in our local road (30 mph area) and I tend to go over them at about 15mph (and get overtaken frequently as a result - idiots, it's because you drive like that that the bumps were put in) but as an experiment one night when the road was deserted I went over at 40, and they were almost undetectable (but I suspect that the suspension wasn't too happy at being worked so hard).
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Altea Ego
Yes found exactly the same thing Mr Tower. On some humps 10-15 miles an hour over the prevailing speed limit irons them out niceley.
I've noticed that. In a car the speed bumps seem easier at speed. Ditto a rough farm lane.

However, in the Landcruiser hitting a speed ramp at speed is horrendous and the first/last time I did it I was fairly sure that I must have caused significant damage.
as an experiment one night when the road was deserted I
went over at 40, and they were almost undetectable (but I
suspect that the suspension wasn't too happy at being worked >> so hard).

IIRC (and it's long time since I did Applied Maths) the g-forces exerted on the suspension from a ramp/bump will increase exponentially(?) with speed. So by doubling the speed over the bump you'll probably increasing the load on the suspension by a much higher factor.

* Not sure whether it's exponential or not but it's certainly not linear from what I remember
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Number_Cruncher
Limiting discussion to a simplified hump without any discontinuities, e.g. a raised cosine;

y=h*(0.5*[1+cos(theta)])

with h giving the height of the bump, and
theta being taken between -pi and +pi radians

increasing the speed that you go over the hump is equivalent to increasing the frequency with which you drive the input displacement at the tyre.

If unsprung mass is ignored,

At very low speeds, the car body follows the hump profile. i.e., the suspension does nothing!

At very high speeds, the car body remains in place, and the tyre only follows the hump. The maximum spring force occurs at the top of the hump, and is independent of speed. The maximum damper force occurs when the velocity is maximum, i.e. at -pi/2 and +pi/2 radians. This damper force is linear with frequency, hence, linear with speed.

If the unsprung mass is considered, the precedding is modified significantly. Owing to inertia forces on unsprung mass, the wheel can now overshoot at the top of the hump, and produce impact forces when it lands again.

Above, I talked about low and high speed - this is with reference to the natural frequencies of the car body. Predominantly those relating to bounce and pitch. This is the speed regime where most of find ourselves in when traversing these monstrous hinderances. If you go over a hump such that a) the frequency of the hump matches the bounce frequency of the car, or b) the time lag between the front wheels and the rear wheels going over the bump means that constructive forcing of the pitch mode occurs, then you get very large motion of the body. These are the types of (possibly amplified) motion that going faster over speed humps helps reduce.

Including discontinuities makes the whole discussion much more complex.

number_cruncher

Chad.R - I'm not sure if we are thinking about the same type of mathematical model for the suspension; but I can't think of anything exponential going on in the simple mass / spring / damper type representation that I am currently picturing. It is possible that you are also considering more non-linearities in the suspension components themselves?
I think I'm getting a headache.
N_C,

I'm not sure what would impress me more. The fact you knew all that off the top of your head, or the fact you spent hours researching it!
--
Adam
Please accept my apologies for being a bit too nerdy and geeky!

number_cruncher

Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Harmattan
Don't apologise since no one is forced to read the posts. Thanks for the info, however, since I was discussing this very subject with a scientific colleague yesterday as our kidneys were getting their twice-daily bashing on the unmade roads hereabouts. The issue was why do corrugations form so readily once rain hits the sand roads and how fast should we go on the corrugations. While I don't follow your explanation fully, it goes some way to explaining why the corrugations form and why they vary in size when the majority of traffic is small bouncy motorcycles!

How fast do you go? We decided it depends on who is paying for repairs to the vehicle.
Wow. I can't remember where I read the non-linear theory but I'll bow to your (obviously) much greater knowledge on the subject.

I wonder if progressive spings had something to do with it?
One bit I missed from my post was that the inertia force of accelerating the unsprung mass is proportional to speed squared (via double differentiation w.r.t. time of the displacement input). I think this mainly affects the propensity of the unsprung mass to overshoot, because, as an inertia force, spread over the entire unsprung mass, it may not cause much actual stress - except in the spring as it compresses more during overshoot.

My suspension and dynamics knowledge is, technically, very limited - old hat, or strictly undergraduate, perhaps. My post discusses linear theory, which is, however, a very good starting point. Most dynamics papers of the last 10 years or so have moved on to consider non-linear aspects of suspension design, and, of course, active control of suspensions.

Discontinuities, for example, a triangular hump are difficult to deal with - but I'll have a go!

Via a theory which we owe to a Frenchman!, one can build up any shape (subject to some restrictions) by adding together a weighted sum of different sine, or cosine waves of differing frequencies. So, as you pass over a triangular hump, it is like traversing a whole set of cosine humps - all at different speeds! All adding together!

This is why triangular humps are, for their size, so nasty! There isn't a good (reasonable) speed to go over them, because you will always be hitting some of the many equivalent cosine humps at the worst possible speed.

number_cruncher
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - Sofa Spud
Many off-roaders have non-independent suspension at both ends, which means they have a high unsprung weight. That means the wheels don't follow the undulations at speed as well as on an ordinary car, due to the inertia of the heavy axles in the vertical plane. So the bumps can get transmitted to the whole vehicle more.

When doing off-road trials in my late, lamented Land Rover 90, the rule of thumb was to always take it slowly and gently to avoid breaking anything or bouncing too much.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
That reminds me. Managed to snap a leafspring on a Sportrak I had a few years back. Absolute hack of a car, used as a pick-up and towing vehicle that I could also sling muddy mountain bikes into and damp canoes onto.

Still didn't like speed humps though.
Poor road surfaces - 4x4 Best ? - v8man
My Range Rover has electronic air suspension which gives a very comfortable smooth ride. However, as per Mark, I too have hit a speed bump a bit too fast and the bounce was incredible. It felt like the rear wheels came off the ground and I wasn't travelling that fast.
The track of the car does allow me to straddle the square humps though which is useful.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"