Wheel Camber re-alignment Ford Mondeo - Monster
I hit a road kerb recently, mainly to blame on my confidence with my heavy and robustly built car being invincible to road kerbs. Hit it at a bend at about 50km/h, not very fast but was fast enough to affect my camber, carrying 3 passengers behind.

The wheel that was hit was the left rear wheel (behind my front passenger seat). It is pretty obvious and the driving is different now especially when I approach a bend forcing me to turn to the right (the camber problem is at left). If you can imagine, the problem wheel has its top half tilted inwards to the car while the bottom half tilted outwards from the wheelbase. Been to several tyre shops and here's the results of my findings:

1. 3 Workshops - Not going to do unless Ford Agent can promise there's wheel bearings in stock. The camber correcting job requires hydraulic jack to push back the wheel as the absorber and possibly the arms holding the two rear wheels apart may have bent slightly). This jacking may push against the wheel bearing and damage it. No 100% confidence with Continental cars (one downside of continental)

2. 4th workshop - Can do it. Requires no jacking and cheaply corrected by screwing something back *raising eyebrows*. Not quite understand the Miri guy's explanation.

3. Last workshop - Not confident with Continentals. Camber Guru on leave, not back.

My verdict? 4th w/s sounds a little dodgy.

Learning pt? Don't ignore small kerbs and be over-confident.
Queries? What do you think guys? Any advice to share? Experiences with camber problem? My camber is 1 degree something off from wheel specs.
Wheel Camber re-alignment Ford Mondeo - Monster
No one has any experience to share??
Wheel Camber re-alignment Ford Mondeo - 659FBE
A logical first step would be to get the geometry checked and see how far off specification it is. If it's a mile off, then something is probably bent and there will also be safety implications.

If you are anywhere near central southern UK, the Michelin place at Micheldever station does a good job with impartial advice (cheap for decent tyres too). Avoid Ford dealers and "unskilled" tyre shops - they either don't know how to use the alignment gear, or else they drove over it the day before.

Wheel Camber re-alignment Ford Mondeo - Altea Ego
2 & 4 have no idea what they are doing.

1 - 3 workshops suspect something is bent. SO do I. There is NO way you have hit a kerb with a loaded car at 50kmh without bending something.

This is a Ford or good workshop job, NOT a backstreet tyre job.

Wheel Camber re-alignment Ford Mondeo - Keith S
Hiya,

Amazing how many garages give different advice. At their rates you would expect a more professional and consistent diagnosis.

You need a full 4 wheel alignment check. Camber isnt adjustable on a mondeo but rear toe is.

There is a fairly flimsy looking rod that has a bolt with eccentric washer arrangement at the inboard end, used to adjust the toe. Maybe this has bent?

I've had plenty of cars 4 wheel aligned and never been happy with the job - ever. These people spend £50k on a machine then let the young lad with 3 months experience use it for you. They charge fifty quid and the job is never right in my experience.

I've never seen or driven a BMW or VW with crooked steering wheel or pulling to one side. Maybe these places have better alignment equipment?