astra to be kept to age 10 plus - catsdad
My wife has a T reg (1999) 1.6 eight valve Astra estate which we have had since it was six months old. Its only done 26,000 miles but we ensure it gets a good run once a week or so to avoid too many short journey problems. We've had the cambelt changed, do six month oil changes and it has a basic service once a year. Aircon is left on all year with occasional hot and cold runs as recommended by HJ to avoid problems. Checking the itemised service bills however I see that its never had a coolant or brake fluid change - despite the annual services being done by a main dealer. I intend to arrange the coolant and fluid soon. I was wondering though if there was anything else worth having done or if its a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"(gearbox oil? power steering fluid?). We intend to keep the car until its at least ten years old. Its never given problems so I hope to keep it that way- although as it ages there are no guarantees. Any advice on the worthwhile extent of preventative maintenance gratefully received.
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - madf
As rust is often a killer, ensure you hose regularly under the wheelarches to remove salt and mud.

And once a year (May- Aug when warm)- go underneath with a rust prevenattive wax (I use Waxoyl and a brush or Dinitrol) and touch up or rusting bits/ brake unions to prevent rust getting a hold.
SWMBO had a Mini estate for 10 years and has a 12 year old Peugeot 106 - both had this treatment. (the Mini was a continuous battle against rust :-(

madf

astra to be kept to age 10 plus - MW
I would strongly advise brake fluid change and gearbox oil change every two years. The cost is low compared to replacements.
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - Victorbox
I'm always amazed that despite Vauxhall stating brake fluid change are needed every two years & providing a stamp area in the service book, my local Vauxhall dealer only does it when asked. My 1989 Cavalier had main dealer servicing (every 9,000 miles) for the first 4 years and local small garage servicing after that and I do an oil & filter change mid - service each 4,500 miles . I've never changed the gearbox oil but I am thinking about it now. At 16 & a bit years and 180,000 miles it is still going strong although it is not my main car now. Vauxhall stated that anti-freeze is "filled for life" but I never let it go more than 4 years without a flush & change. As your Astra is fully galvanised rust shouldn't be a problem for a good long time, if ever. Washing out the wheel arches particularly the rear arch lips is always a good idea though.
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - John F
I disagree with regular fluid changes. Six years is plenty if you are not in the habit of tearing down Alpine passes. It takes a lot of water absorption and heat to make brake fluid boil.

And once the oxygen in the coolant is used up, no more corrosion can happen. You could reasonably argue that regular coolant changes cause more corrosion.

My 25yr old TR7 - [one of the most reliable cars I've had, though 66k isn't far] - had its coolant changed about 10yrs ago when a stone pierced the rad. Filtered and used again when I replaced water pump last year [slight bearing incontinence, not O ring failure]
Brake fluid changed 5 yrs ago when rear cyl/piston seal leaked. Replaced seal, all else remains original.

If it works, don't mend it - and remember a lot of well-meaning advice on this site comes from those with a vested interest in garage work creation - it is impossible to tell which!
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - bimmer-driver
Don't these Astra have electric PAS? If so thats 1 less thing to mess around with.
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - Dynamic Dave
Don't these Astra have electric PAS? If so thats 1 less
thing to mess around with.

The only thing different is that instead of the PAS pump being driven by a belt from the engine, the pump is powered by the car's battery instead. I would imagine the PAS fluid would still need changing / topping up at some point in it's life.
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - catsdad
Thanks for advice to all who have commented. I will have the coolant and brake fluid changed for certain as it seems once every six years is the balance of the advice. I will also check the price on a gear oil change and probably have it done. Incidentally my handbook suggests coolant should be changed - no mention of sealed for life - and its still puzzling to me that the main dealer never tries to sell it, or brake fluid change, to me as part of the service.
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - Cliff Pope
If the cooling system has any aluminium in it (eg cylinder head) then I would strongly advise changing the antifreeze every 2 years after a thorough back flush. It is a good point about corrosion stopping after all the oxygen has been used up, but I'd rather inhibit the corrosion from the start with an antifreeze with corrosion inhibitor.
Head gaskets and aluminium heads are vulnerable to corrosion and failure, and any circulating corrosion products will tend to block radiator passages. Lots of engines (subjective judgement) fail from the consequences of local or general overheating, but it is very cheap and easy to prevent it.
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - Number_Cruncher
The point about corrosion and oxygen might be valid if the cooling system were sealed.

number_cruncher
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - mfarrow
I suspect most of the oxygen is taken out of the water the first time you heat it up.

If you're really worried, use some deionised water like sold for car batteries. Oxygen free (I think!).

--------------
Mike Farrow
astra to be kept to age 10 plus - mfarrow
Oxygen free (I think!).

Right, I've decided to step in here before the pedants do :-)

I mean oxygen as in O2, not what's already in the water in the H2O.