What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Free car - but no keys / V5 ??? - Wee Willie Winkie
Afternoon All,

Some of you may know that I like the old VW Beetle (I?m not asking for comments on how rubbish they are, before you all start furiously tapping away on your keyboards?!)

I have been offered a 1972 Beetle for free, on the understanding that I collect it. It?s been laid up for over 5 years and is pretty rotten. Anyway, the downside is there are no keys (it is unlocked) and no V5.

I will be given a letter from the current owner (a local radio station) to confirm they have the legal right to give it away, but are there any other problems anyone can think of?

I was either going to a) break it to sell individual parts and then scrap what is left, or b) sell it on whole to a fellow V-dubber to do exactly the same, or if they are very brave, restore.

What do you all reckon?

Cheers,

DB
Free car - but no keys / V5 ??? - Dwight Van Driver
Whats the position re SORN?. Have they renewed every year.
Whoever takes it on and tries to relicense/ advise scrapping could be in for a load of grief......

DVD
As far as I know, it hasn't been taxed for years, probably since before SORN was introduced.

As there is no V5, I wasn't planning on declaring myself as a keeper - just stripping it down to its bare bones and scrapping the floorpan and the rusty bits of bodywork at a select scrap metal merchant. There wouldn't be any fluids or rubber to worry about, so I think they might just take it as metal. Whoever's name is on the mislaid V5 (which isn't even the people who have got the car now) would remain the owner of a non-existent car....
Free car - but no keys / V5 ??? - stokie
I guess you could phone DVLA for some advice, they've an annoying call queuing option system but I did find my way through it to a person once who was very helpful.
I'd be tempted to do the scrapping and not worry about the registration side, sounds like the radio station won't be informing Swansea, so in effect no one can trace the car to you?
Free car - but no keys / V5 ??? - Dwight Van Driver
>>>>>so in effect no one can trace the car to you?<<<<<

Biy since I looked at it but as a scrappie he will have to be registered under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and as such will have to keep records of what and from whom he purchases.

Used to be on general police duty/CID to inspect said registers.

Seem to think as well there is something else that tightens up the Act.

......so he can be traced ?

DVD

Free car - but no keys / V5 ??? - sierraman
Generally you need to supply the scrappy with the V5 or they will not take the car.
Free car - but no keys / V5 ??? - Cliff Pope
I've scrapped several cars, one last year, and they have never asked for any identification.
Free car - but no keys / V5 ??? - Thommo
Guildford BC do free collection of unwanted cars through Aldersot Car Spares. Excellent fuss free service but you MUST have the V5 otherwise no go.

May be different if you go to the scappy direct.

Free car - but no keys / V5 ??? - Mapmaker
Southwark council also will collect for free if you have the V5. But, as they'll also remove unwanted burnt up cars from the street even without a V5, I don't see the problem!
Ah well - that was a load of fuss for nothing. Had a phone call to say they'd been offered £400 for it, so I couldn't have it.

Somebody must have been really daft to pay that for what is essentially an assortment of spare parts fixed to a terminally rusty floorpan....

It takes all sorts....