What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Essex CC info on speed cameras - Andrew Hamilton
Saw item on Anglia news regarding published sites of Essex speed cameras. Could not find it but found police views - example below.
Those wishing to express their views about the issue of cameras visibility can do so by visiting www.essexsafetycameras.co.uk and submitting an email.

Notes to editors:
The Essex Partnership comprises Essex Police, The Essex Magistrates? Courts Committee, Essex County Council, Thurrock Council and Southend on Sea Borough Council. Since April 2000, the number of fixed camera sites in Essex has increased from 44 to 100 and the number of areas for mobile cameras has risen from 24 to 78.
Research shows that safety cameras are effective in reducing speed and red light related crashes. Previous experience in Essex indicates that cameras can reduce speed-related crashes by up to 50%, and all types of road crashes by around 25%, at sites where cameras are in use.
This research is backed up by figures compiled during the first year of the pilot scheme that show:

? an estimated 105 casualties were saved in year one (exceeding initial expectations)
? a 44% reduction in speed-related accidents at fixed camera locations
? a 50% reduction in fatal and serious accidents at mobile camera locations

In addition, the number of vehicles exceeding the speed limit at fixed camera locations reduced by 81% and currently less than 1 in 100 of the motorists passing a camera are getting prosecuted.

Media Contacts:
Rosemary Welch, Essex County Council 01245 437095
Re: Essex CC info on speed cameras - Ben Chapman
Does anyone know how the police decide what is a "speed-related" accident?
Re: Essex CC info on speed cameras - Carl
Sorry to be sceptical, but I live in Essex and the siting of speed cameras has nothing to do with road safety, it's all about the easiest way of making money, since the police have been able to keep the fines, the number of cameras have seriously multiplied.

Having lived in Essex all my life (34 years), I have NEVER seen a serious road accident in any of the fixed or mobile camera locations.

Brentwood was featured in the Sun some months ago, there are numerous unsolved crimes, yet the police are too busy catching speeding motorists. Indeed, there was a violent assault in the same town that the police could not respond to, but ONE street away, they were busy with their hidden camera.

Essex County Council wanted to make the whole Brentwood area (and I suspect many other towns) a 30mph zone, but the Police have complained that they do not have the resources to enforce it.

Finally, some common sense has prevailed, and I cannot wait until all the cameras are painted highly visible colours where they can be seen.

The best advice I can give to anyone coming to Essex, is to buy a good radar detector before you get here
Re: Essex CC info on speed cameras - Alwyn
Ben

Have a look at www.ringroad.org.uk/

See under "The one Third lie". Let me know if you have a problem with it.

Cheers
Re: Essex CC info on speed cameras - Andy
Notice how they carefully refer to 'reduce accidents at camera sites'.
No mention of the accidents being displaced to other roads where there are no cameras. This is a perfect illustration of not only 'spin' in action, but the need for cameras only at known accident hotspots, rather than all over the place.
Might be worth asking why RTA fatalities in Essex have increased by 29% in the last year. Also, during the "successful pilot scheme", 3 of the 8 areas trialled saw increases in fatalities of up to 18%. Never mentioned by those with power to abuse.

The Essex figure did fall from 106 fatalities to 86 during the trial but this was merely a reversion to the average of the previous 7 years levels. The 1999 figure was unusually high.

1993-82
1994-86
1995-84
1996-84
1997-89
1998-76
1999-106
2000-86

Successful?
Re: Essex CC info on speed cameras - Brian
The Essex 2001 figure is in excess of 114.
Conclusion ?
Form your own!
Re: Essex CC info on speed cameras - Richard Hall
I got flashed by a speed camera in Colchester last week. It was painted black and hidden behind a tree. Points are no doubt in the post.
Actual Essex figure for 2001 was 123
Brian

123. Was this published anywhere? Can you tell me where please?

Thanks
Re: Essex CC info on speed cameras - Mark (Brazil)
Alwyn,

It doesn't support the figure directly, but I think you'll find this link of interest.

www2.newsquest.co.uk/essex/archive/2001/11/16/news56.D_16_11_01_rn_94_h_EssexRoad_death_toll_worst_in_a_decadZM.html

cut and paste etc. etc.

hth

Mark.
Thanks Mark,

Which search engine do you use? Google double plus?

Regards

Alwyn
Alwyn
It was on the BBC Anglia News earlier this week, if I remember correctly.
Alternatively the Essex Chronicle is usually pretty well on the ball.
Re: Essex CC info on speed cameras - Richard Hall
Alwyn

From the London Evening Standard:

Deaths leap in speed-camera county

by David Williams Motoring Editor
Road deaths leaped by 30 per cent last year in Essex - a county renowned for its tough speed-camera campaign. A total of 123 people died in crashes in the county - 37 more than in 2000, a police report reveals today. The toll rose despite police erecting nearly 60 new cameras on roads with a speed problem.

Today transport experts said the figures placed serious doubt over the effectiveness of the county's camera campaign, especially as Essex had scaled down the number of officers dedicated to policing the roads.

However, the Essex Police report shows the number of crash injuries overall fell, and the force claims its fixed speed and red-light cameras, which now total 102, plus 15 mobile cameras make an "important contribution to saving life and limb".

Essex is one of an increasing number of police forces keeping revenue from speed cameras to spend on road safety work, as part of new government attempts at reducing accidents.

Last year, the force revealed Britain's most feared speed camera after the device caught a record 2,000 drivers in one day. Even on "quiet" days the camera on the M11 at Woodford catches up to 1,000 drivers travelling at more than 50mph.

But Edmund King, executive director of the RAC Foundation, said: "Speed cameras are very good at getting people who go above 50mph in a specific location but, unlike trained officers, they do not spot dangerous driving, tailgating, drug-driving, drink-driving and general bad driving that can lead to deaths."

Essex Police, however, say there has been only a "slight" decline in traffic patrols.
Thanks Richard. That's very useful for us living under the shadow of "Gatso King" Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom.

The reason why the M11 Woodford (which I use daily) camera catches up to 1,000 drivers a day is because it is on a stretch where there is no particular hazard.
Those in the know slow for the camera and then go back to 60 or 65.
Only strangers get caught as a rule.
Re: Essex CC info on speed cameras - Cockle
Confirmation in local press tonight, (Evening Echo), 123 fatalities in 113 accidents, highest figure for ten years. Biggest leap was in fatal motorcycle accidents, deaths were 31 against 18 last year.

Unfortunately Carl was quite right earlier in the thread, as someone who has lived in the County for over 40 years I too have seen very few accidents where a lot of the cameras are sited. In fact one is sited 300yds inside a 40 limit on a dual carriageway 400yds before a set of lights where the last fatality to my knowledge was over five years ago. Strangely, five fatalities have occured this year within the half mile before the 40 limit where two vehicles left a dead straight piece of dual carriageway and hit poles at the roadside, about 50yds and a fortnight apart. Both accidents involved Fiestas, both late at night so banning Fiestas from driving down this stretch after dark would probably have had more impact on the accident figures this year.

Also I wonder whether the fact that Essex Police disbanded their motorcycle section has had an impact on the motocyle figures. Certainly when I was a lot younger, and sillier, the warnings to us young motorcyclists from a motorcycle cop were listened to far more than anything from a copper in a car as you knew they were speaking from experience, and they tended to be 'friendly' warnings rather than a ticket.