What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Life before MPVs and SUVs - Sofa Spud
In an idle moment at work, I was musing on the fact there seem to be fewer 'caravanettes' - campervan or dormobile type van conversions with elevating roofs, about now than there did 20 years ago.

Most motor caravans one does see are larger coachbuilt ones on van chassis/cowls.

I seem to remember it wasn't unusual for VW campervans and Dormobiles based on Bedford CFs or Ford Transits etc. to be used for everyday motoring. Maybe these provided a 'getting away from it all' lifestyle statement in the same way that owning a 4x4 does for some people today.

Cheers, Sofa Spud

Life before MPVs and SUVs - frostbite
I'm sure you're right there, but I wonder also how much of that is due to the huge prices charged for the new custom-built jobs as opposed to the many diy variety of campers we used to see.
Life before MPVs and SUVs - commerdriver
The market has demanded more and more comfort and space from motor caravans so the van conversions( like my Commer) which could seat 7 and sleep 6 have been replaced by slightly larger luxury van conversions sleeping 2 and coachbuilts for people who wanted to seat or sleep a larger number, bit oversimplified but that's the general picture.

People also want more luxury in these things, the Commer and its contemporaries have character by the bucketload but could not in any way be called comfortable.

There are still a few about but nothing like the numbers there were.
Life before MPVs and SUVs - Aprilia
Who these days wants to troll round a wet corner of Cornwall in a Commer? Cheaper and better to get on a jet and have a week in the south of France or Spain.
Life before MPVs and SUVs - blue_haddock
You can get a camper van conversion for the Toyota Hiace - can't remember the exact details but for what it was it did seem pretty damn pricey.

I'm with Aprilia on this one
Life before MPVs and SUVs - frazerjp
>You can get a camper van conversion for the Toyota Hiace - can't remember the exact details but for what it was it did seem pretty damn pricey.

Who wants one of them anyway? Ive heard the insurance on these imports cost a bomb let alone buying one!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Life before MPVs and SUVs - blue_haddock
>You can get a camper van conversion for the Toyota Hiace
- can't remember the exact details but for what it was
it did seem pretty damn pricey.
Who wants one of them anyway? Ive heard the insurance
on these imports cost a bomb let alone buying one!

The Hiace Camper is a UK vehicle that is purchased through Toyota dealers - it is not an import and is done to a high standard by Devon on a brand new vehicle.
Life before MPVs and SUVs - commerdriver
Nice sunny weekend on the south coast is still a cheap bit of fun (though the kids don't all tag along any more)
When the kids weres a lot younger and we used to use it for family holidays it was a lot cheaper & better to go away for a couple of weeks in the Commer than jetting off to the south of France.
You pasys your money (as much as you want or have available) and you takes your choice.
Life before MPVs and SUVs - No Do$h
Personally I'd love to get a VW type2 split-screen (21 screen would be nice, 23 would be lovely!) with sound bodywork and a 2.1 flat-four in the back.

Trouble is, they are daft money these days, especially after the mullet-haired, halibut-lipped Mockney Mr Oliver turned them into celebrity wagons.