What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
How can I sell my car? - stuartB
OK, that sounds like a stupid question, but bare with me!

Ideally I'd just hand it back to a dealer and get a car from then, but I have seen a car I rather like being sold privately.

Whilst I am prepared to do the legwork for that, inspections etc I don't really want the hassle of selling my car privately.

Mores to the point I simply don't have a clue what it's worth either :-(

Would any garage take it off my hands do you reckon?

Oh - you'll be wanting to know what it is, well (now don't laugh) it's a:

Mk IV Golf, 1.4 S, S Reg - Jan 99. 2 Registered owners inc me. Full Service History, but 105K miles and it's been keyed :-(

Will I even get a fiver for it? :-(

Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. Also on the buying privately front, I have read the Buying and Selling Guide, but if there are any other hints you would give me then please do!

thanks!
How can I sell my car? - blue_haddock
I'd say your car is worth around £1500 as a private sale but i think you may have some trouble selling it due to the high miles, poor condition and due to it not being an in demand model.

As a PX you'd be lucky to get a grand for it - one option is to stick it through an auction although what it would fetch is a bit of a lottery. I doubt any dealer would want to buy the car off you, any offer that they make would be very low.
Thanks, yes that's what I expect.

FYI I took it to 2 dealers last year (Nov) for a part ex valuation and i got 2450 and 2250 as offers on it. It only had 95K on the clock then, but the damage was all there.

It's a real shame it got keyed, because it's in really good condition otherwise :(
How can I sell my car? - frostbite
Put it on eBay with a sensible starting price and an honest description and you will soon find what it's worth.
How can I sell my car? - Clouddz
Stu there will always be demand for VW Golfs(as a 1st car etc) so you should get a good price especially if you take the time to advertise it privately but if you cant be bothered then you'll loose ££££ its your call....

Clouddz
How can I sell my car? - v0n
You car is now worth £2100 as part exchange, that takes scratch damage into account. Anything above that is your clean profit.
How can I sell my car? - expat
Regardless of how you decide to sell it you should give it a really good wash, polish and interior clean up first. If you can't be bothered then pay some one else to do it. It sounds obvious but it is amazing how many people don't. That costs them money and makes it harder to sell. Changing the oil and coolant is another good idea. People check them and nice clean oil and bright green coolant impresses them.

You should also drive round with a for sale sign on the back windows. Put down all the good points of the car, price and your phone number. It is amazing how often that sells a car.
"You should also drive round with a for sale sign on the back windows"

oh no, we're not allowed to do that where we live, the council have made a by-law to make it an offence!

thanks for the advice though :)