60's VW Camper sounds - martint123
Only just motoring content, but I'm running out of ideas. (sorry mods)

Little brother has just bought a '60s VW camper imported from California in reasonably good nick. He (and I) were growing up in the 60's and I was going to make up a CD compilation for him when he and his mrs go off camping in the beast. Suggestions and additions most welcome.

Beach Boys - California dreaming.
Cliff & Shadows - Summer holiday.
Yeah, ok spot deliberate mistake nr 1
60's VW Camper sounds - blue_haddock
hasn't got a CD player?
60's VW Camper sounds - THe Growler
Mommas & Poppas (they did California Dreaming, not the BB's)
Scott Fitzgerald
Walker Brothers
Manfred Mann
Peter & Gordon
Gary Puckett and the Union Gap
Billy J. Kramer & The Dakotas
The Searchers
The Monkees
Dusty Springfield
Ike & Tina Turner
Anything Tamla Motown: Start with the Shangri-la's, Martha & The Vandellas, Four Tops.
The Skyliners (actually late 50's but for my money one of the finest harmony groups of all time, Norah's soaring vocals still send shivers down my spine.
The Ronettes
Frankie Valli

...a pretty eclectic lot but representative of the era. Should get you started.

But pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze, no not ever never on no account that ghastly Cliff Richard thing. Leave that for kindergarten camping trips

60's VW Camper sounds - Wee Willie Winkie
Can't help you on the music, but I am interested in the Camper? What age is it - a Splitty or a Bay?

If your brother's any near North Wales there's a VW event on 14/15 May at Bodelwyddan Castle, called All-Types. (www.alltypesvw.co.uk)

Cheers,

DB
Thanks for your input Growler, the CR 'item' was only included as a 'singalong' that everyone knew the words to.
I shall peruse the net and see if I'v enough to fill the CD. And yes, it does have a CD player as well as the ancient 8 track box.

DB - Not sure what you mean by splitty/Bay - windscreen?? If so it's a split screen jobbie. And afraid he's on the East coast so a long trip to Wales. They've only had it a couple of weeks, so still getting the hang of it. Unsure of age - letterless plate, imported 2002.

Martin

60's VW Camper sounds - tack
Whilst on the subject of VW Campers, do those travelling Kiwi/Aus' folks still sell their campers from the street in the Strand? Used to see loads of them for sale (Mainly to other Kiwi/Aus folks) after they had done their tour of Europe. Always fascinated me.
60's VW Camper sounds - Bromptonaut
Wow tack that dredged up a forgotten memory of lines of Combis outside Australia house circa 1979. Think they were moved on shortly afterwards, to Camden or Earls Court?.
60's VW Camper sounds - THe Growler
Visit Darwin. Plenty for sale whose owners have reached The Top End and are looking for the money for Timor or Bali or somewhere.
60's VW Camper sounds - BazzaBear {P}
I'm not sure of the exact release date, bu it's got the right 'feel' - whatever else you put on it, you've just GOT to end the compilation with Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World