Scotland trip. - Shaz {p}
Hi all.

Need a bit of help here. I am planning on taking a trip to Scotland in the next month or so. Will be going to see a few sites - some of the glens, also be visiting Falkirk Canal/ bridge.

I am having some trouble in finding accomodation. I was after a cabin in particular - for 5-6 people maybe up to a max of 10.
Would like to have electricity! and hot water. Will be going for 4-6 days.

Any idea where to look - I've tried websites - all seem to cater for b&b's and hotels.

Look close to west side of Scotland - perhaps furthur North.

Also any must see sites / great roads - let me know.
Scotland trip. - John24
For accommodatin try www.discoverscotland.co.uk
Scotland trip. - John24
Sorry. Should read www.discoverscotland.net . Or try Google.
Scotland trip. - BobbyG
Or

www.visitscotland.com/

Scotland trip. - johnny
Forestry Commission cabins :
www.forestholidays.co.uk/cabins/index.asp

Watch for the mozzies though...
Scotland trip. - Frankoids
Not sure how far NW in Scotland you are going, but there is a route that starts from the A835 a short way North of Ullapool which, on a good day is absolutely stunning.

Leave Ullapool heading North up the A835, turn left onto an unclassified road just past Drumrunie Lodge. When just past Lochinver turn left onto the B869, the yellow one and carry on till you eventually reach the A894. This does not look a long drive, but it will take some time, as with a lot of Scotland journeys seem to take a lot longer than anticipated and look out for the chilled out sheep!

I did this on a fine October day about 5 years ago, pick a good day and it is a drive you'll never forget. The roads are challenging, but you don't need a 4X4 I did it in a Micra!

I'm going back to that area some time this year to climb Suilven and or Stac Pollaidh which you get a good view of on that route.

Hope you get a good day,that is quite important, the area is hard to describe, but has a moon like quality, I promise you the trip is well worth it.

Thanks for your help people.
The frestholidays site is very helpful, ditto the discoverscotland site. Some reasonable prices there too.

Will definatley try to hit that area Frankoids.

Any more must see sites keep them coming in!

Scotland trip. - Stuartli
Virtually anywhere in Scotland is superb...:-)

For accommodation try private bed and breakfast establishments - not only usually very reasonably priced but also top class food and friendly owners.

There was a similar query last year but can't find it.

B and B outlets:

www.scotland-bed-and-breakfast.co.uk/

www.scotlandaccom.co.uk/

www.bedandbreakfasts.co.uk/

Some other Scottish websites:

www.scotland.org.uk/Web_Links+index-req-viewlink-c...l

www.cali.co.uk/HIGHEXP/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Scotland trip. - Davy_S {P}
Hi

Here's another link :-

www.milford.co.uk/scotland/denny.html

Central Scotland, near to Falkirk & Stirling (about 7 miles)

--
Davy S.

Oops, where did that screw go!!
Scotland trip. - Armitage Shanks {p}
The www.laterooms.com site also does "Late Lets" if you want somewhere for a week and if you like cruises thay also do "Late Cabins" although I realise that this isn't what you want for Scotland (just for Info!)
Scotland trip. - Welliesorter
Have a look at www.scottish-hostel.com .

Although this is a hostel, the standard of the accommodation is so high you'd never know. I've been in far worse hotels.

If there's a group of you, you could have a room to yourselves. No need to share a dormitory with strangers.

It's surrounded by spectacular scenery, but not a squillion miles from Falkirk. Some of the roads pass through such beautiful scenery that you'll want to keep driving along them just for the view.

For what it's worth, there's not a lot to see in Falkirk apart from the Wheel.
Scotland trip. - livefortheday
"the area is hard to describe, but has a moon like quality"

.....It has no atmosphere? Boom, boom.

Scotland is lovely, watch out for speed cameras (mobile and fixed) though.
Scotland trip. - M.M
Shaz,

We've self-catered in Scotland more years than not over the past 20yrs. Never been disapointed.

We have found some very individual places and the Internet has really helped in the last few years. Just using Google with a search "cottage log scotland falkirk" should do you for starters. Swap the words about and remove/change as required to bias the search and you should find stuff that will interest.

We always want to be by the coast so include "coast sea beach access" in our searches.

Some of the best places, and best value, come up with the ever increasing amount of folks who have their own small websites and do not use the big agencies.

There are loads of "cabins" in Scotland, planning seems to have been kind to folks wanting to build groups of them. It's all about what you want but we rarely look at cabins as they tend to be built in groups or near to an existing property..... we hate being overlooked by other families. However it seems you may be going as a two family party so that may not worry you.

You have left it a bit late to book, however a vacancy in June is far easier to find than the July-Sept school hols period. Most of the best/value places were booked up by Jan for this popular period. Many of the *very* best are re-booked immediately for the following year.

As well as the sites mentioned in previous posts try these from my favourites...

www.assc.co.uk/
www.countrycottagesinscotland.co.uk/ccs_homepage.h...l
www.dales-holiday-cottages.com/
www.gmthomson.co.uk/frames.htm
www.obanholidaycottages.co.uk/
www.highlandhideaways.co.uk/default.asp
www.mackays-self-catering.co.uk/
www.unique-cottages.com/home
www.holidays-argyll.co.uk/holiday_homes.html

Here are two places we looked at for this year but were booked when we wanted them... there are some stunning locations in Scotland!

www.littleholidayhouses.com/cottage/21.asp
www.heimdall-scot.co.uk/laide/rocklea.htm

That Rocklea is a cabin in a stunning West Coat location right by the water.

One of the best websites to look at an area you are thinking of visiting is...

www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/index.html

Driving is great once the, often busy, Saturday am run up there is over. Don't worry that much about speed cameras because we never see them once on the rural routes surrounding the places we like to visit.

Hope you enjoy it.

M.M

Thanks for all your help - I obviosuly need to work on my search tecniques. Thats has been very helpful - some great looking places here.

I was going with a group of friends. Got to work out logistics and stuff!!

Probably bee about 5-6 people - up to max of 10 - a bit vague - as some people may not be able to make it. All know each other - well enough - so not a problem in that respect.

Have to plan what sites to see, cater for different tastes (within reason!). Got to get time off work - book accomodation - work out routes etc - things to do whilst there!

Anyway - thanks again for your help. Will keep you guys posted!
Scotland trip. - Falkirk Bairn

I live some 6 miles from the Falkirk Wheel & 2 miles from the Kelpies.

I would not plan anything in the foreseeable future - the Chief Medical Officer sacked on Monday for driving 40 miles to her posh cottage in Fife.

The current & medium outlook is stay away until it is deemed safe.

The Falkirk Wheel is clever & the Kelpies are 2 x 100feet (30m) horses heads.

Lots to see, great days out but not until it is safe.

Scotland trip. - FP

You must have time on your hands, FB - trawling through old threads!

For a moment I thought your post might be from some desperate spammer. :-)

Scotland trip. - nellyjak

LOL..after 15 years my guess would be that the trip has been done.!!!

Scotland trip. - Random

FB and FP, so close, yet so far away.

Scotland trip. - Avant

It was a spammer who resurrected the thread, trying to sell holiday cottages. Deleted, so anyone replying to it is up the loch without a paddle.