What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
94. Fiesta start problem - ukjohnny
Hi Lads
Wife has 94 Fiesta 1.1 Goes a treat, but, she has problems on first start in mornings, fires up straight away with a little throttle, but will not idle until warmed up a bit, this of course is causing her to stall it on several occassions. Took it to a local Ford garage, they worked on it for a couple of hours, and suggested it was due to a dodgey CFI unit, and requested to work on it for a few more hours to investigate FDS. The costs quickly rising, the wife declined.
Can anybody tell us what a CFI unit is? And what is a FDS?
And can one do the job ones self??
Regards
Johnny.
94. Fiesta start problem - madf
It could be the HT unit/distributor gets damp. It's mounted at the rear of the engine near the exhaust manifold and gets covered in crud. Son's one was like that: started ok in am when in garage . Would not start pm at work.
Cleaned leads and top of ht unit and sprayed with Plus Gas. Been fine since. Worth trying first as it's simple and cheap.
Check HT leads are not cracked.. damp .
Check plugs are ok.

If all above fail, then look next at other items...

madf

94. Fiesta start problem - mfarrow
CFI is Central Fuel Injection, basically the guts containing the injectors etc. I could imagine this being extremely expensive. FDS as a guess is Ford Diagnostic System???

Have a look at this thread

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=8953

which describes cold start problems and a possible fix. One solution which has cropped up here before is to clean out the oil filler cap and the pipe-work running to it. It fixed one chaps woes some time ago IIRC. Failing that, as previously mentioned, look at the HT leads going to the back of the engine, under the inlet manifold. You won't find any Dizzy there but it's worth a shot cleaning up as posted. Overall it sounds like the 47k resistor trick may work, it's your cheapest option if it doesn't!

--------------
Mike Farrow
94. Fiesta start problem - Aprilia
If it is starting OK, reving OK and pulling OK under load then I would not suspect the ignition system. More likely it is the idle control valve (on the throttle body) or possibly the coolant or air temperature sensor.

FDS is a reference to Ford's FDS2000 system which is basically a laptop computer with their proprietry diagnostic software.
94. Fiesta start problem - ukjohnny
Thanks lads for all the info and threads, i now have a better idea of whats going on. looks like i have a busy weekend ahead.
Oh for the simple cars of yesteryear! and i thought Fiesta's would have been simple!.
regards
johnny