Which Rover 75? - mscott
Don't laugh, but I've decided to buy a (used) Rover 75 and would like advice about which engine to get. The 1.8 would suit me and there's lots of them about, but obviously I'm wary about the head gasket problem. In HJ's CBCB he says that the coolant level dropping is the first sign of a problem, but does this mean that the gasket has already gone, or does it mean it will go if the coolant level isn't topped up? Also, I have read that if the car has a special green coloured gasket fitted then it'll be okay. Any help gratefully received, or I'll have to buy the diesel.
Which Rover 75? - SjB {P}
I don't laugh.
Along with the ZT and ZT-T, these are terrific cars.

I don't know your budget, but I think either the 2.0 V6 or preferrably 2.5 V6 engines best suit the nature of the car. Creamy, creamy smooth, and with wonderfully cultured tones when extended.

These cars depreciate like a stone from new, so if your annual mileage isn't intergalactic, then running a second hand version of either shouldn't be suicidal.

Colleagues of mine have variously driven every engine variant over the years, and it has been the V6 models that have proven the most reliable and which are spoken about in the most glowing praise. A number of colleagues replaced their 75s with another, and we have a completely 'free choice' company car scheme within the constraint of having to have 4 or 5 doors.
Which Rover 75? - SjB {P}
I should have also pointed you in the direction of the car by car breakdown, which you can access from the menu on the upper left hand side of this page.

I don't (if they had six cylinders, it would likely be another story given that aural attributes are important to me with this type of car), but HJ likes the diesels.