What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Granada Wobble - fordfreak
Does anyone out there have any ideas why my 1994 granada wobbles / judders when i steer to the left at high speeds. It seems anything over ~50mph does it. Turning right is fine, however steering left feels as though something is going to break and i'll end up in the hard-shoulder. The car does pull to the left ( always has done). I've jacked it up; all bushes seems okay and there's no play in any of the wheels etc. Oh and it seems to fly through MOT's. 'Mechanics'have looked at it and some reckon wheel allignment but i'd rather be sure before paying for allignment only to have it redone after the real suspension fault is found. I know i seem like I'm a real skin-flint don't i?
Ford Granada Wobble - Civic8
whats your tyre wear like between fronts?.Ie one wears faster than the other..Or both about the same?
--
Steve
reply to the tyre wear question...

Both are the same - i was getting ready to rotate them but they seem fine.
Ford Granada Wobble - frostbite
Probably a silly question, but have you checked for blister/seperation on the side wall of your front tyres?
As frostbite said..
--
Steve
how i wish it was a blister...!
Looks like i'm going to have to bite the bullet and send it off to Kwik Fit or someone, maybe after they've replaced most of the front suspension components by elimination i might get a a result. Actually i've heard that the 'compliance' bushes go on Granada's. Does anyone know what or where these are ?

Thanks to everyone for their contributions. Oh and if anyone can think of anything else....
Ford Granada Wobble - frostbite
You could try posting your problem in here....

www.granada-and-scorpio-online.com/forums/
I have heard of front dampers causing this.But at a lower speed.My mates was replaced and didnt have a problem afterwards.But even an MOT wont show up bad dampers..Not saying that is the problem.Just a thought.And without actually looking at it. it is hard to know..
--
Steve
Ford Granada Wobble - none
As has been suggested, check the tyres first.
As for compliance bushes, they are just rubber bushes with built in 'play'. Something like a solid rubber bush with holes in it to allow controlled movement of the related component. The idea was / is to alter various suspension and steering angles to suit the prevailing conditions. Under cruising conditions the bush will be neutral, under braking or acceleration the bush will deform enough to alter the relevant angles, thus improving roadholding.
Some 70 - 80's Fords had them fitted on the rear axle and they were forever wearing out. A well known 'mod' in those days was to fit a solid, non compliant bush, nobody noticed the difference in roadholding, and the solid bushes wore out just as quickly anyway.