What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rust on my '98 Ford Ka - AndrewMarc
i am abit of a novice but have some rust below the centre pillar below the door and have heard old wife tales about remedies. I would appreciate some tips or somebody telling me to go to halfords
RUST - mjm
Can we have some more details, please. Make, model and age, any accident damage, surface rust, holes appearing etc.
RUST - AndrewMarc
ford ka 98s and it is just surface rust no holes just looks shoddy

{added to subject header. DD}
RUST - mjm
Will it T cut off? you say it is under the door, it may be rust stains dripping from the door from rust starting inside it. It may be rustproof material dripping from the door.

You may find that using T cut over the affected area will show one or two chips in the paint. If so, a rust treatment and a touch up paint should sort it out.
Keep us informed.
RUST - AndrewMarc
the texture of it feels like rust but ill try. The door doesnt seem to have any rust on it though
RUST - mjm
Have a good look in daylight, weekend coming up.
Good luck.
RUST - mountainkat
If the rust is where the A pillar meets the sill I'm afraid it's a common fault - happened on both the KA & also some Puma's, caused by stonechippings getting to the particular area.

I know that a clear plastic "film" was fitted to later KA's in this area to prevent this happening & can be bought from Ford dealers - unfortunately it wasn't made for the Puma so I had to resort to the old "rustkiller" & touch-up brush which wasn't really an ideal solution
RUST - frazerjp
I recently brought a tin of hammerite because ive read on a previous page that ka's suffer from rust damage will be applying it soon after i can be bothered to wash it first!
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Rust on my '98 Ford Ka - jamesflint

I also own a Ford Ka with rust problems - in particular around the fuel filler cap and rear wiper.

Don't despair though - I found some "Rust Screening Rings" on Ebay specifically designed for these problem areas - bought both and they have really transformed my Ka and are really easy to fit.

Try the following link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130432799232&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

You won't be dissapointed!

Rust on my '98 Ford Ka - Talking Hoarse

Even as a "casual observer", I notice lots of Ka's with rusty sills and particularly with rust breaking out on the side around the fuel filler and sometimes also on the other rear side panel. I have seen this on Ka's as late as 55 registration.

I think cars in general corrode more quickly in this part of UK (NE coast), and maybe Ka's were not best rustproofed. In general I certainly notice that older cars are very much better preserved inland & in South of UK, maybe where roads get less salt.

Rust on my '98 Ford Ka - SteveLee
Don't just cover the rust with paint like hammerite, rub down until there's sound metal round the surface rust and then apply an anti-rust treatment, hammerite's kurust (available in Halfords) will do the job, it converts rust into sound metal. then prime and paint to protect.
Rust on my '98 Ford Ka - craneboy

What is it about 1990's Fords and tinworm?...all dreadful.

Rust on my '98 Ford Ka - Collos25

Ka's wer not zinc coated or rust proofed in anyway they are throughaway cars infact some of the engines you cannot even remove the sump.Once rust atacks a car you are fighting a loosing battle a twelve year old model is doing well most Ka's that age are now baked bean cans.