What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 Mondeo 2.5 V6 exhaust - Imagos
Well after 68000 miles and 7 years the exhaust on my '98 2.5 v6 mondeo has finally bit the dust. Sounds like no exhaust connected and it's blowing badly somewhere near the front of car.

Anyone got idea of prices? Will i need new catastrophic conveter? or could i get away with just a front pipe(s)?

Believe it or no first time an exhaust gone on me for over 10 years. So no experience replacing one with a catalyst.
thanks guys! :-(
1998 Mondeo 2.5 V6 exhaust - GrahamF1
I suppose it depends if the cat itself is still serviceable.

If it is, then welding new exhaust sections to it will be cheaper than a whole new system & cat.

You really need to find out what's leaking and what's still good! Replace what's leaking and keep what's good.
1998 Mondeo 2.5 V6 exhaust - Aprilia
The cat is a separate unit which bolts into the system via flanges. If it is still intact and funtional then it can be reused.
As to the rest of the system - well, its difficult to comment without having the car to hand.
If it's bolt on then it's even easier, you could almost certainly do it yourself (depending of course, on which sections you'll have to replace).
1998 Mondeo 2.5 V6 exhaust - Aprilia
I can do them because I've got a pit, angle grinder and oxy-acet to free off the rusted and siezed bolts. Unless you have the kit its better to go to an exhaust centre and let them sort it out.
And I've got a brand new combine-harvester.

;-)
Got it sorted today at a independant, Pipe had split in two on center so it's a new middle section inc silencer. £109 inc the vodka. Whether this is cheap or no i've no idea. Just glad it's done.