What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Writing to Honda - Robbie
I'm very dissatisfied with the fuel consumption of my Accord diesel and I'm inclined to write to Honda saying this. Would other Accord diesel owners do the same thing, so that if Honda were to receive a shoal of such missives they may be inclined to take action?

Any comments?
Writing to Honda - Altea Ego
And what action do you want?
And what action do you want?

I thought that was obvious. Honda should get to work to improve the performance of the diesel engine. Their literature states: 37.7 mpg urban; 58.9 mpg extra urban; 48.7 mpg combined.

I filled mine up today and it worked out at 36.67mpg combimed. There must be something wrong if this is all one can achieve.
Writing to Honda - Altea Ego
Ok so they improve the engine, and it gets fitted in 18 months time, where does that leave you?
Writing to Honda - RichardP
How new is the engine? It can take a few thousand miles for it to bed in. Also we are on winter diesel at the moment which can lead to slightly higher fuel consumption due to additives to stop the fuel waxing in cold temperatures.
Writing to Honda - cjehuk
My winter diesel consumption is well down on my Audi A3. I'm around 5-6mpg below my usual 44-48mpg. I drive hard, and probably harder than most, so I'm not too unhappy with that overall though it's a shame to be below 40mpg sometimes. All high performance diesels will take 9000+ miles to give their best consumption though yours sounds very low.

What's your driving style like? Lower revs are the order of the day with the diesel, and I find to get the best economy keeping the revs under 2250 is the way to go.

Regards

Chris
Writing to Honda - Dynamic Dave
Their literature states: 37.7 mpg urban; 58.9 mpg extra urban; 48.7 mpg combined.

Remember, those figures that Honda (or any other manufacturer come to that) are quoted optimum values most probably done under lab conditions.
Writing to Honda - cheddar
I would certainly be writing to Honda if I was only getting 36mpg after the first few 000 miles, also while it is claimed that winter diesel can be a factor I have never noticed a great difference, my Mondeo is averaging 46-47 lately driven quite enthusiastically, only one 250 mile motorway round trip in the last two months.
On a recent journey to Lincoln my fuel consumption was no better than my V6 Omega. You think that's reasonable?
Writing to Honda - tyro
Their literature states: 37.7 mpg urban; 58.9 mpg extra urban;
48.7 mpg combined.
Remember, those figures that Honda (or any other manufacturer come to
that) are quoted optimum values most probably done under lab conditions.

I run 2 cars - a Ford and a Citroen. Both give me roughly the quoted "combined" mpg, if not marginally more. If my cars can do that in the real world, why can't Honda Accords?
Writing to Honda - jdc
Robbie

I'm averaging 30mpg in my Subaru Outback 2.5 SE ! Petrol, all-wheel drive, fully loaded - should drink like a fish but thankfully it's just about alright.

This tallies fairly accurately with what Subaru state in their literature.

Sounds like you defintely have bought a pup ........ surely you should be getting at least 40-45mpg from this sort of modern diesel .....

jdc

Writing to Honda - NowWheels
I can't read this thread without remembering those smug ads for the Honda diesel.

Wonderful hubris ...
Writing to Honda - L'escargot
<< On a recent journey to Lincoln my fuel consumption was no better than my V6 Omega. You think that's reasonable?

A fuel consumption calculation based on a single journey is not valid, even for that journey. For a start, you just can't measure accurately enough the amount of fuel consumed. To get a reasonably valid average you need to use a time period of, say, a month minimum. That way (provided that the tank is reasonably full at the start and end of the calculation period) any inaccuracy in the measurement of the amount of fuel consumed will be relatively small.

I record the amount of fuel I buy and the odometer reading every time I fill up, and then I calculate the fuel consumption monthly. It's interesting to see how the fuel consumption varies with the car's total mileage, and how it varies with the season of the year. The easiest way to see this is to plot graphs.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
I check my fuel consumption every time I fill up. I use the same pump at my local Tesco, and fill up as far as the pump will allow. When it cuts out I leave it a while and then top up. I do this a second time and then regard the tank as full. The consumption varies between 38 and 36 mpg. Yesterday, I filled up, even though the tank registered slightly over half full, as I had used the car on long runs. I had covered 273 miles and it took 33.67 litres to fill the tank. That equates to 36.842 mpg. Not at all good in my book. My previous car, an Omega V6, and not regarded as particularly frugal, did as well as this on long journeys.
Writing to Honda - Dalglish
I filled mine up today and it worked out at 36.67mpg
combimed. There must be something wrong if this is all one
can achieve

>>

simple - you think there must be something wrong, then take it back to the supplying dealer and tell them. they may find what is wrong with your particular car or they may tell you that "all honda diesels do this".

if the former, problem solved.
if the latter, write to honda. ask for your money back or wahtever it is that you want in compensation for allegedly being misled in to buying a car which is costing you £xxxx extra in running costs. (have you worked out how much this extra amounts to on a weelky/monthly/annual basis for the miles you travel ? how much does that come to ? please tell us so we can judge how much extra it is actually costing you. )

(have you worked out how much this extra amounts to on a
weelky/monthly/annual basis for the miles
you travel ? how much does that come to ?

Where have I mentioned it is costing me "extra pounds" in running costs?

It's quite simple really: Honda quote figures that, to me, appear to be unattainable. Should they be allowed to get away with this?

Any other Accord iCTDi owners out there who can agree some form of action plan?
Writing to Honda - Happy Blue!
Robbie, I can see why you are disappointed but you must remember that the consumption figures are prepared under strict EU guidelines and are independent. The company is not allowed to use any other figures to demonstrate how economical the car is, but equally cannot guarantee any particular level of economy as people drive in completely different ways. The cars will also be partly designed to produce the best mpg figures for the EU test and this is not necessarily the best for everyday use.

I get about 21mpg from my Subaru. Yes I am disappointed, but then the regular urban runs I do mean I rarely get about 50mph for more than a few seconds. I am more often in traffic jams.

I would suggest that you complain to the supplying dealer (they are the ones you have a contract with - NOT Honda UK). If you car has done over 10,000 miles then ask the dealer for a demonstrator or other spare identical car to yours for a week or so and see if you can replicate your consumption or not. If you do replicate, then it's your driving i'm afraid; if you can't and you are clearly doing 10pmg better then ask for a replacement engine.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Writing to Honda - Dalglish
Where have I mentioned it is costing me "extra pounds" in
running costs?
It's quite simple really: Honda quote figures that, to me, appear
to be unattainable. Should they be allowed to get away
with this?
Any other Accord iCTDi owners out there who can agree some
form of action plan?

sorry, if i misunderstood. you asked in your first post "any comments" and i gave you my comments.

as renault family said in his first reply, "And what action do you want?"

you now make it clear are not bothered about the costs.

you are bothered only about the alleged misadvertising.
you are "inclined" to write to honda. you want to know if others will do the same. and you want any comments. in the meantime, you are convinced that on the basis of your sole experience, honda are quoting unattainable figures.

in which case, you have to prove your case based on your one solitary example. the relevant bodies are those that certify the process for measuring offical fuel consumption figures, the advertising standards authority, etc.

good luck.

Writing to Honda - PW
Robbie,

After comments on this forum I have stopped using supermarket fuel and converted to BP- with significant improvement in MPG.

Using Sainsburys never got more than 41 mpg out of the Mondeo. With BP is not below 43- and maximum has been 47.

Will use Ultimate- but only every 3rd / 4th tankful.
Writing to Honda - Bill Payer
Robbie: if you always use the same pump at the same Tesco then to disciunt crap fuel or even pump errors (most unlikley) then you really ought to buy a couple of tankfull's elsewhere.

Fuel consumption isn't measured in the government tests, it's done by calcuation from emissions - so presumeably your cars emissions would be way too high. Don't know if this can be tested??

FleetNewsNet's Accord on long term test is apparently doing 48MPG so it is possible.
Writing to Honda - PR {P}
Sorry if this sounds daft, but have you checked your tyre pressures? If they are all down a bit, this can badly effect consumption.
If they are ok and you get no joy from your dealer, you could always give them it for a week and see what consumption figures they can attain?
Writing to Honda - nortones2
Not intended to teach grandmothers to suck egg etc, but have the dealer check out the runnng gear, e.g. brakes, handbrake, routine stuff to eliminate simple things first?
Writing to Honda - IanJohnson
Sound like there is something wrong, mine is back up to 50mpg after its aberation when Honda were driving it.

Are you on the 17" wheels (wider tyres) or the standard 16s?
Writing to Honda - Greg R
Basically, I would be dissapointed. My fathers 1.8 toyota camry from 1984 with 275000 miles averages 40-45 mpg regardless of driving in town or not. This is an old car with heavy body and is poor for todays standard.

When our carina 2.0 petrol was averaging 30-35 mpg, the cost increase was very noticable and we converted to LPG. If a 2.00 petrol does 30 mpg in town traffic (london for example) then the accord should be doing at least 40 mpg.
Not intended to teach grandmothers to suck egg etc, but have
the dealer check out the runnng gear, e.g. brakes, handbrake, routine
stuff to eliminate simple things first?

The tyre pressures are spot on. It has just had its first service by the Honda dealer and everything is perfect - according to them. I told them about the fuel consumption and they indicated that there is nothing wrong with the car.

The wheels are the standard 16" as supplied.

I used a variety of diesel when in France - mainly Shell - but also Total and Esso with no improvement.

Where are all the posters who complained on another thread about the poor fuel consumption of their Accords?
Writing to Honda - Malcolm_L
I'm still here - My Accord is coming up to 11k so I'll be booking the first service soon.

I'll mention the fuel consumption (which is about the same as yours) at that time.

If I don't get any satisfaction I'll take the matter further, I had a demonstrator for a week from Honda UK which returned well over 40mpg so I was well and truly misled.
I'm still here - My Accord is coming up to 11k
so I'll be booking the first service soon.
I'll mention the fuel consumption (which is about the same as
yours) at that time.
If I don't get any satisfaction I'll take the matter further,
I had a demonstrator for a week from Honda UK which
returned well over 40mpg so I was well and truly misled.

I'll be interested to see what your dealer says.

Although I like my Accord I'm miffed at the poor consumption. Beginning to think I should have hung on for the Vectra estate with the 150bhp 1.9i JTD engine. And the dealer is only four miles away instead of nearly twenty for the Honda.
Writing to Honda - JimG
I'm still here Robbie
I am getting the same sort of poor consumption figures as you have - approx 36mpg with my Accord Tourer.
I complained to my Honda dealer who then contacted Honda technical for their guidance. They requested that my car could be brought in for 2 days for the problem to be fixed & at the same time I got them to carry out the 12 month service. I was told that the fix was to reprogram the ECU - I don't know whether this is a standard or a modified version of the software.
Immediately after I filled the car brim full and after 120 miles (60 of which were motorway), refilled and got a consumption figure of 39.47mpg - an apparent small improvement.
After this last fill up I have been driving frugally to see if that makes any difference - but looking at the fuel gauge it looks no better than before.
If there is no improvement it is going back again.

This will be of interest to many I think...
When I was at the Honda dealer the service manager gave me a copy of Dealer Technical Support - Recommended Fuel Consumption Process.
Under the paragraph MPG Test - it states
The MPG result must be measured against the VCA "combined" figure. (VCA is Vehicle Certification Agency)
If the resulting figure falls outside the VCA "combined" figure by a 3-4 MPG margin then continue with the process below.
The process below has a number of checks to be done along with one of interest - Substitute a good known PCM - presumably this is Program Control Module or ECU.
Does that mean there are some bad ones out there ?

Therefore it seems that with average driving you should be getting 44-52 mpg (48 +/-4).
Anyone getting below this has cause for complaint.

Incidentally the service manager let slip that there have been a few complaints about the fuel consumption figures for the Honda CRV with the iCDTi engine !
Jim G,

That's very helpful. I'll get back to the dealer and se what is happening. I'll keep you informed.

Thanks
>>
>> Any other Accord iCTDi owners out there who can agree
some
>> form of action plan?
>>
sorry, if i misunderstood. you asked in your first post "any
comments" and i gave you my comments.

I see you have deleted the last sentence of my original post.

The penultimate sentence should give you a clue. Any other Accord iCTDi owners...........
Writing to Honda - BobbyG
Robbie, as per the other thread, I have every sympathy with you. My Scenic is not getting anywhere near the quoted consumption figures. However, other posters on this forum have got that consumption.
I have had my dealer check it out and they did a full emissions test and found nothing wrong.
For every argument for supermarket fuel, there is a counter argument. And vice versa.

I don't know if I just have a rogue engine, or whether it is miraculously going to "loosen" up at the 10K mark.

I do not suggest leaving your car with the dealer for them to drive for a week. They could probably get it to deliver whatever consumption they wanted, if you know what I mean.

It probably won't happen but the only thing I could suggest "scientifically" is getting an exact copy of your car, either from the dealer or by hiring it, another driver, and then go on a lengthy journey convoy style and see how the mpg measured up at the end of the journey between the two cars.

Unless you have the time and patience to call into your dealer a couple of times a week and slowly break them down until they get to the stage they will give in to any of your demands, just to get rid of you!

Keep us posted how you get on.

Why not ask the dealer to lend you a similar demo car for perhaps three days on the basis that either you will be able to prove that yours is less economical than it should be or they will prove that yours is normal. Then, even if the latter is the case, you still can argue that your car does not meet quoted figures.
Writing to Honda - Happy Blue!
Just what I said above!!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Writing to Honda - Civic8
Very much doubt Honda will do anything..Manufacturers do not give any guarantee that you will get the specified fuel consumption.It is a guide only.and wont account for real world driving.It usually says so in the handbook.Or words to that effect?.
--
Steve
Writing to Honda - trancer
On that basis they might as well say that the Accord will give 100 mpg. One of the biggest selling points with diesels is their improved fuel economy over petrol equivalents, if a diesel is not offering that then I suspect that many buyers won't consider it. I like diesels because of the performance aspects, but I wouldn't buy one that didn't also offer better fuel economy.
Too many variables for anyone to specify an exact fuel economy.And has always been the case.Robbie is more than welcome to complain to Honda`s. but doubt anything will come of it?.I would be interested to find out what Honda have to say.If they reply..?
--
Steve

First thing I would do is pop the air filter cover off and make sure the dealer actually changed it during the service.
If the car has not reached 10k, surely not due a scheduled service yet, so what did they do?
First thing I would do is pop the air filter cover
off and make sure the dealer actually changed it during the
service.

It is my car's first service and it was basically an oil and filter change. I don't think the air filter is changed until its third service.
It is my car's first service and it was basically an oil and filter change.
I don't think the air filter is changed until its third service.

If it were me, I'd still pop the cover off and make sure it's not clogged up.
Just to confirm the service check sheet shows it changed every second service (every 25000). Mine had its second service just before Christmas with no noticable change.
Just what I said above!!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need
a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?

I am pleased to be supporting your point! In addition I was trying to point out that he has nothing to lose.

"Then, even if the latter is the case, you still can argue that your car does not meet quoted figures".

Regards.
<< That equates to 36.842 mpg.

36.85945946 mpg according to my calculator! ;-)
--
Writing to Honda - Chris47
It might just be a stiff engine. My VW Passat diesel only did 32 mpg when it was new, but now after 60k I can get over 52 mpg!
Writing to Honda - ratty
Robbie,

If you have 5,000+ on the clock by now, have you had the engine reving up to the limiter a few times, and let it labour a bit at lower revs. I have found my tdci has loosened up a lot by doing this (I got it with 9,000 up).

It can feel counter-intuitive to rev it over 4000 as the power plummets, but seems to have helped lower rev smoothness and mpg.
I'm aware of the need for rev's without loading, but after 11k and no signs of the fuel consumption improving I'm pretty convinced that all is not as it should be.

As I mentioned earlier, I had a demo from Honda and that was returning well over 40mpg with only 7k on the clock.

Most of my mileage is motorway on cruise so rev's are pretty static, however the gears do get used on 'A' roads to balance it out, after 11k it's used less than 1/2 a litre of oil.

I'm tempted to take the thing out and thrash it to within an inch of it's (mechanical) life for a tank to see if this makes a difference.
The fact that a number of people are reporting a problem suggests an electrical or mechanical fault, or a problem with production tolerances, rather than anything to do with the way that the car is driven/run in.

My Mondeo averaged 48-50 mpg from new, mainly 80mph motorway runs, it used a bit of oil in the first 10k though does not use any now at 87k, average consumption is now slightly less however my mileage is mainly A and B roads.

I had a Cavalier 1.7TD (Izuzu engine) from new, '93 K plate, what ever I did to it, loaded or one up, all day in city traffic or 90 mph across Europe it always did 45mpg.

I had a demo from Honda and that was returning well over 40mpg with only 7k on the clock.

Demo cars are like pool/courtesy cars. Driven by all and sundry. Some treat them like their own car, some treat them like Nigel Mansell treated his F1 cars.

I imagine that although it had only done 7k, that engine was pretty well loosened up - hence why the better mpg.
Would it be (reasonably) obvious if the engine was tight?
My company used to run a lot of Peugeot diesels and it was really noticable that some had tremendous engine braking effect and others had absolutely none. It made it very awkward at first when swopping from one car to another.

I would have thought that if this problem can be raised with the right person (whoever that is) at Honda then it would get some attention. It's the kind of thing they'll dismiss until the UK MD appears on WatchDog and suddenly it gets fixed :-)
Jim G,

Your information was very helpful.

I spoke to the service manager at my dealers this morning and quoted from your posting about the technical data. He admitted that he's only achieving about 34mpg from a Tourer. There have been some issues also with diesel CRVs having poor fuel consumption. Anyway, the outcome is that he's getting on to Honda technical section on Monday and will 'phone me back.

Many thanks. I'll keep you informed about any progress, or otherwise.
Writing to Honda - JimG
Good to hear that Robbie

Hopefully the more people who get their dealers to report problems to Honda technical the better. Might avoid the need for a letter but then again could provide even more leverage to get Honda to say or do something positive.

If I get any more info I will keep you posted here

Jim
I have just come off the 'phone from the service manager. He failed to ring me, as promised, so I contacted him.
He told me that he spoke to Honda's technical bods who informed him that they don't have a problem with the diesel engine and fuel consumption. Whenever there has been a complaint it has been "due to driving style." They have suggested a back to back comparison. I leave my car with the dealer who brims the tank, and then drives 60 miles in my Accord, and does the same with another. I told him I'm not happy with that, particularly as he was only getting 34 mpg out of his Tourer. Result: consumption of mine could be better than his, so no problem.

If I could get 38mpg out of an Omega V6 petrol, on the same journey as my Accord, then it's not down to style.

I also raised the issue of oil consumption and oil used. Honda recommend a fully synthetic oil, sae 0w30, and they have used Shell Helix semi-synthetic 10w40 at my recent service. Is this reasonable?

I'm unsure how to proceed now. I'm off to France for three months on 5th April and can ill afford the time to mess around.
I think this is disgraceful behaviour from Honda, and not what you would expect of such an apparently honourable company.
I looked at the Accord as a company car opt out option, as many people must do, and getting mid 30's MPG instead of around 50MPG would have completely messed up my cost calculations.
Writing to Honda - GrahamF1
Doesn't seem like any of you guys are getting much sense out of Honda.

I'd just reject the car, stating that it isn't as described.
Writing to Honda - JimG
What seems particularily strange is that my Honda dealership along with Honda technical seem to agree that there is something not quite right - hence the reprogramming of the ECU in my Accord Tourer !
I am really surprised that your dealer's service manager hasn't complained bitterly about 34 mpg - that's a disaster !
I too have done a proportional comparison between what I got with my previous car (Volvo V70 170bhp)and my Accord Tourer - the consumption figure I should be getting was 43.5mpg, which I would be more than happy with.
I am still monitoring my fuel consumption - but doing it over more miles to try to eradicate any filling up errors. As I said before if it is still below 40mpg the car is going back to the dealer to be fixed.
JimG,

I have decided to write to Honda and complain. I'm not satisfied with what I deem to have been fobbed off.

Do you have an address? I've looked on their website but there are only 'phone numbers of customer contacts. When I owned Vauxhalls, on the very few occasions that I had a problem - the Calibra, I was able to speak to a technical person who gave excellent advice. I spoke to a woman at Honda, some months ago, who never got back to me and had absolutely no technical knowledge. I'm now beginning to regret changing to a Honda.

They're still in Betjeman country: Honda Customer Relations, Honda (UK), 470 London Road, Slough, SL3 8QY. Good luck.
Jim,
whatever the problem is, it's unlikely to be the programming of the ECU.
My car as remapped using a new chip - the map was downloaded from Upsolute's HO, this would make a faulty ECU most unlikely.

Writing to Honda - JimG
You do have a point there, Malcolm.
If that is the case and it is nothing to do with the ECU then Honda must be clutching at straws by reprogramming or replacing it !
Does this problem that we have now point to something as basic as a tight engine ? - so we wait until we've done 20k miles until we start to see a real improvement.
I just wish that Honda would say something officially.
Writing to Honda - BobbyG
Jim / Robbie
What you are saying here is basically the same advice I got on my Scenic diesel's poor consumption ie. wait till the engine loosens up.
However my complaint is that if this is the case, why do they not say the car does xmpg but don't expect to get it for the first 15ooo miles! My point was that this would make diesel vs petrol running cost comparisons very interesting!
Just to add fuel to the fire....

Mine was doing over 50 when new, now slightly below (winter running with more electrics on?) so it didn't need to loosen up with miles!
Writing to Honda - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My experience of diesels is that they do not get more economical with age. The oil consumption does tend to improve after 30k or so.
Good luck with your Honda complaint- I am similarly dissatisfied with my 100 hp Passats mpg. 43mpg overall ,on an A road commute, when I hoped to get nearer the combined figure of 53mpg IIRC.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Writing to Honda - patently
Maybe Honda assume that their cars will be driven in the style of a pensioner?

Maybe that's why so many are - the driver is trying to get the quoted mpg!
Maybe Honda assume that their cars will be driven in the
style of a pensioner?

Oi! I'm a pensioner.
--
I've decided to give driving like a pensioner (with apologies to L'escargot) a shot, to see if this makes a difference.
King's Lynn and back today on the A10 keeping rpm below 2500 has seen very little movement on the fuel gauge, so far so good.

I've also got a run to Pau coming up, 130kph is about 2500 rpm so again this may help, however the cost of continental diesel softens the pain somewhat.

Well, I've stopped driving like a pensioner because it hasn't worked. Also, following the comments on another thread, "Running in a Diesel," it recommends regularly upping the revs to 4,500. I tried this yesterday and in third gear I was doing over 80.

I'll be driving from Caen and then bombing down the A20/E9 three weeks today so I'll see how it fares.
Writing to Honda - quizman
You might find that with a fill of French diesel your car is more economical and pulls better. It's the 5% biodiesel you know that does it.
I hope you let us know the result when you get back.

My comments are opinion, not scientific facts, as in the Heisenberg theory thingemebob.
You might find that with a fill of French diesel your
car is more economical and pulls better. It's the 5% biodiesel
you know that does it.
I hope you let us know the result when you get
back.

I've been over to France twice with the Accord and using various brands; supermarket, Shell, Total and Esso, have made no difference to the consumption.

I'm away for three months, so I'll keep records and let you know the difference when I return in July.
Now if Honda had put in a trip computer, we could compare mpg against roadspeeds in various gears.

By changing up at 2000 rpm and trying hard not to exceed 2500, I got 522 miles out of 58.6 litres (which is marginally over 40mpg).

The fact that driving like this should be giving me mpg in the 50's is another matter.

Now if Honda had put in a trip computer, we could
compare mpg against roadspeeds in various gears.
By changing up at 2000 rpm and trying hard not to
exceed 2500, I got 522 miles out of 58.6 litres (which
is marginally over 40mpg).
The fact that driving like this should be giving me mpg
in the 50's is another matter.

I'm beginning to wonder if my engine might still be tight, so I'm going to razz it a bit whilst I'm away. I've driven mine carefully and changed gear as soon as possible, so perhaps it hasn't been run in yet. As I've mentioned previously, this style of driving produced excellent economy with my big Omega.
Writing to Honda - netlang
Just to add to your information. I have an Accord Diesel diesel 54 reg now done 3200 miles and I get 44 MPG driving around the local area and 48 on a run of 300 miles using cruise control on motorway this did also include some blasts up to 90MPH. It has never done less than 42MPG for me so far and I usually use standard Shell Diesel. Incidently this is very similar consumption to my old VW Golf PD150
I'm off to France on Tuesday so topped up today. Fuel consumption worked out at 32 mpg running around.

I'll sort it out with Honda when I return in July if the consumption hasn't improved.
I would be inclined as a lot of diesel drivers do.thrash it.you cannot damage the engine by doing so.governor/ecu wont allow it.ie the ecu/pump determines your max revs.even on new engines.Its always been known that "to run an engine at minimal revs" during driving revs.will cause new engines to stay slugish..and may take a long time to free up..Run in period driven harshly around 12 months or less.driven slowly around 50k.or several years+.Fuel economy gets better as time goes on being thrashed/or used.You cannot compare diesel with petrol engine
--
Steve
Writing to Honda - patently
Oi! I'm a pensioner.
--

Oh - present company excluded, naturally ;-)
Writing to Honda - Dave E
For what it is worth I would not bother. I have corresponded with Ford for the last five months on the matter of the poor fuel consumption on my Mondeo SCi. The upshot of it all is that there is nothing they can or will do as the Engine Management does not show any faults when plugged in to Diagnostics. They have the nerve to say that my comments will be passed on to the technical development department for future reference.

So there you have it, we the unsuspecting public are being fleeced twice. Once paying over the odds for a car in the first place and twice as guinea pigs, developing cars for manufacturers out of our own pockets.

Writing to Honda - Galaxy
Dave E,

I just happened to catch the nature of your post in connection with something else.

You might be interested to learn that I too complained to my local Ford Main Dealer about the poor fuel consumption of my Ford Mondeo, which was worse than the identical model I had actually hired from them the previous year. They, too, connected it to the Ford Diagnostic Computer, which showed that nothing was wrong. So I just gave up and convinced myself that I'd just have to live with it.

I didn't find out the true reason for the poor economy until I had to buy 2 new front tyres. The chap in the tyre shop checked the tracking, and found it to be 4 degrees out! That doesn't show up on the Ford Computer.

After having the tracking correctly adjusted the Fuel Consumption figure significantly improved.

It's just a thought, but it could possibly be worth getting your own tracking checked?!
Writing to Honda - tyre tread
I have a similar problem with my Primera - now got 9.5k on the clock and still struggling to reach over 40mpg.

I suspect the pump timing may be slightly out - get yours checked!
Writing to Honda - catsdad
I've had a new diesel saloon for about a month and so far have averaged 47mpg (based on petrol pump volume v miles travelled). I think this is excellent on a tight engine especially as most of my miles have been on hilly A roads and in town. My previous car (BMW 318 petrol returned 36-37mpg over same tyoe of use. I would say however that as I am bedding the Honda in (as per HJ FAQ advice) I've been pretty gentle. A couple of observations (apologies if they've been made before, its a lengthy thread!) Fleet News advises that the engine is set up for gentle use so I guess enthusiastic use of the ample power may well cause consumption to dip? Secondly the gauge moves well into red,and the low fuel light comes on, when there are over 2 gallons left. I realise that to anyone measuring properly that's irrelevant but it can give the impression that the consumption is poorer than it is. Finally, in only 750 miles its early days but the oil level has not dipped at all(oil consumption has been criticised elsewhere and the car is festooned with check the level daily stickers!).
Writing to Honda - Ivor E Tower
Cannot remember if it is Autocar or What Car magazine that has run an Accord diesel and was disappointed in the fuel consumption, also stating that several readers had written in also complaining that the fuel consumption was worse than they expected. So poor economy is not an isolated incident, not that Honda can (or will) do anything about it.
Writing to Honda - JimG
Well I had my Accord diesel supposedly fixed at my dealers ages ago with absolutely no improvement in the fuel consumption - all they did was re-map the ECU.

Now what do I find ?? - excessive wear on the outer edges of both front tyres, which indicates to me poor wheel alignment ! So maybe Galaxy has hit the nail of the head ! By the way .. I call nearly bald on the outer edges after 11500 miles excessive !

Any other diesel Accord owners finding that they have poor fuel consumption AND excessive front tyre wear ??

Oh and another thing .. I HAVE written to Honda because I'm pretty fed up with them not acknowledging that there IS a problem. I wonder what they'll say ?
Writing to Honda - Blue {P}
Have you had the wheel alignment professionally checked? I would get a 4 wheel laser job done and see what conclusion they come to about why the tyres have gone so soon.

And I wouldn't take it to the Honda garage for that either.

Blue
Writing to Honda - CM
I had covered 273 miles and it took 33.67 litres to
fill the tank. That equates to 36.842 mpg.

Not sure if this has been covered or not. I always find brimming to be quite inaccurate. How often have you been at a pump when you are near empty and the pump's cut off clicks in when you have only put 20-30 litres in? It happens quite often to me as a result of very frothy fuel. nless you wait for half an hour or so to let all the bubbles settle out then you can quite easily "loose" 4 or 5 litres worth of fuel if not more to air.

Say that there is 4 litres worth of air in your tank, then your 273 could quite easily actually have used 37.67 litres giving 32.95mpg. However if when you filled up previously there was 4 litres of air in the tank, the 273 miles would have used 29.67 litres which gives 41.83mpg.

There is too much variance to be quite so accurate. These examples might be quite extreme but I do think that it often explains 2-3mpg difference.
>>I always find brimming to be quite inaccurate

Yes it can be.What usualy happens is on full press of trigger (depending on pipe bends to tank)Fuel backs up to trigger switching it off.On this type of filler pipe its best to fill up slowly..As diesel tends to froth as you fill its a good idea to take it slow and easy
--
Steve
Writing to Honda - JimG
No I haven't had it checked yet.
I will take it to a 3rd party to have it checked out - that's for sure - as per your advice !

Thanks
Writing to Honda - Avant
Doesn't the Accord have a consumption readout as the Civic and Jazz do (press switch on speedometer to toggle between total mileage, trip mileage and consumption)? No guarantee of accuracy but probably no worse than brimmimg the tank, and you can see how it's doing as you go.

SWMBO's 2-litre Civic S (petrol) does about 32 mpg in town and 40 on a long run. I'd never have expected it to beat a diesel - my A4 2.5 TDI does 36 and 44 respectively.
Writing to Honda - JimG
Unfortunately Honda decided not to fit a trip computer !

Brimming the tank works well if you allow the froth to settle and slowly remove the nozzle while filling slowly till you see liquid - then it really has been filled.
Froth, what brand of diesel are you using?