Toyota Celica - zarqon
I am thinking about buying one of these. I think they still look good, the prices are very reasonable compared with the obvious competitors and there?s room in the back for occasional use by my 2 kids ? I?ll be retaining my trusty but nearly worthless Mondeo estate for trips to the tip and family holidays.

But one thing that I?m concerned about is model replacement ? the current Celica has been around since 2000 ? does any one know Toyota?s plans for a new model.

Cheers

MPZ
Toyota Celica - blue_haddock
I've just spoken to Toyota Product planning and at present there is no plans for a new model Celica in the near future.

The MR2 will be changed at some point next year and there will be a new Supra but the current Celica looks set to stay for the foreseeable.
Toyota Celica - mountainkat
Just looked at one of these too, in the end I chose the Hyundai Coupe instead for the following reasons:

price - for the same price I paid for a 2004 2.0se coupe I could only get a 2001 celica as a result the hyundai came with 4yrs remaining manufacturer warranty the celica would have none

looks - personally think the celica is looking a little dated & much preferred the hyundai, obviously this is a personal thing, we all have our preferences

driving - whilst the celica is quicker I didn't much like the "all or nothing" nature of the engine, bit too frantic for my taste

-- I think the plus points of the celica against the hyundai are probably

1. image - celica has more "pedigree" image wise, I'm not really too fussed about image considerations myself so this didn't bother me

2. road holding of the celica is slightly better, although only at the limits IMHO

3. depreciation - celica is slightly better although I think this may begin to change as the hyundai is now outselling both the celica & audi TT & is in quite high demand, particularly in 2.0SE spec.

reliability & build quality I think are almost the same so neither are really an issue.

Hope these comments are useful !!!
Toyota Celica - Dude - {P}
Blue Haddock , I don`t suppose you have heard on the grapevine when the new RAV4 with the 150bhp diesel engine is due for release.??
It should be in the Avensis later on this year, haven't heard anything about the Rav but i have a feeling that it may not feature in the current Rav4 which is due to be replaced next year.

--------

With regards to the Hyundai, having just checked with the price of a new 2.0SE with one of my brokers the price for a similar celica and there is about £300 in it. Most Toyota dealers give minimal discounts on celica but through a broker the price comes down a fair chunk, comparable

As for the all or nothing power delivery that is what i prefer - it is a sports car after all!
Toyota Celica - midlifecrisis
There's a comparison of these cars in this months Test Drive mag.
Toyota Celica - bartycrouch
But one thing that I?m concerned about is model replacement ?
the current Celica has been around since 2000 ? does any
one know Toyota?s plans for a new model.

I haven't heard of one in the near future, most news from Toyota seems to be around the replacement RAV4 at the moment.

I would not worry about a new model anyway, as many of the Celica versions have been pretty mediocre. The best being the 4th and current generation (7th).

My least favourite was the 5th. A bulbous lump where the top and bottom styling don't match.

If you get a current Celica be careful on the colours, otherwise it can look very bland. There are curves on the sides that only really show in some colours, red is good. If it had a bigger engine I might be tempted myself.
Toyota Celica - zarqon
Thanks for the replies.

I too wish it had a bigger engine but the mpg looks pretty good and depending where I'm working I sometimes do considerable mileages.

Colour - I fancy black and if I really go mad it will have red leather.

Hyundai Coupe - hadn't really thought about it, but the warranty appeals - I will have a look at one.

Cheers

MPZ
If you want a bigger engine for increased power why not go for the T-Sport? If you keep it below 6500rpm the fuel economy is still pretty good.

If you decide to stay with a normal celica the Celica Red special edition may be of interest to you.
Toyota Celica - Canon Fodder
Colour is also important for the Hyundai - try the bright metallic blue [ocean blue, like my own car], or maybe the red, but avoid the black [too dull] and the Silver [grey would be a better desciption]
"avoid the silver" Hyundai coupe

---------------------------------

this together with the Ocean Blue is by far the best colour, shows off the profile of the car perfectly, only have to look at most of the demos / motor show models & they are nearly always in Silver

- need to add though I am a bit biased as I've just bought a silver one, much preferred it over the other colurs although obviously we all have different opinions

obviously we all have different opinions

Good point MK - and beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course. I probably should have added IMHO after my colourful comments.

I bought 'Test Drive' for the bake-off between 'our' car, the Celica, and [bizarrely] the C4 'coupe' - the Hyundai won [yey!], being the best all round package.

Interestingly, the Celica was criticised for it's hard ride, significantly worse than the Hyundai, which means it must be a real bone shaker.

Key bull points for the Hyundai were looks [oh yes], driving position, and warranty - fair comment i'd say.

When i'm in north Wales [which is quite often] I'll give a flash if I see nice new silver Coupe...

C.F.
Toyota Celica - Martin Wall
Hi

I believe that Toyota plan to stop selling the current model in the US this year and they have no plans for a replacement - that doesn't mean they are to stop making the car though.

Best prices I have seen are at: www.autobytel.co.uk/

E.g. £14,890 for base model

Good luck!
Just read the article in TEST-DRIVE, why the Citroen was ever included is beyond me ???

All in all, having driven the two myself, think the article is pretty good. Celica does ride harder than Hyundai.

Read a few reviews that say Hyundai has a harsh ride but personally don't think it does - having changed from a Ford Puma I'd say the pumas ride is harder (but body-roll more pronounced. Perhaps the larger wheels on the V6 make the ride harsher, mine has the 16's.

As we said everyone has their our preference & if you want a good weekend blast about & don't do loads of miles I think the celica would be your choice, on the other hand if you use the car everday & do a fair few non-motorway miles I think the celica could become tiresome & you'd probably prefer the Hyundai

-- anyway best bet is to take them for a drive & see for yourself !!
Toyota Celica - Rob C
Blue Haddock, I don't suppose you would like to add further info about the new Supra release, would you? at all? if possible?
Not 100% sure at the mo but from what i've heard late 2006 is looking favourite for it..

Other news is that the 150bhp Diesel will be in the avensis from June 2005 and the 180bhp version will be 2nd quarter 2006
Toyota Celica - NowWheels
any sign of an automatic gearbox for any of the existing or new diesels?
any sign of an automatic gearbox for any of the existing
or new diesels?

not as far as i'm aware
Toyota Celica - tr7v8
What sort of Fuel consumption & servicing costs could I expect on either a Hyundai or Celica? The Alfa has to go! why I'll relate later when it comes back......

Jim
Celica is on a 10k/1 year basic service and 20k/2 year full service. 10k is about £85 and the 20k is about £125. Obviously these costs vary depending on the individual dealer.

Fuel economy varies depending on how it's driven but 30 to 35 is about average. On a run sat on a motorway in 6th gear 45mpg is achievable.
Toyota Celica - Happy Blue!
Servicing is free on our hyundai for three years or 30,000 miles.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
The 'Coop' is bit more expensive on both counts, although they do do a 3 years servicing for £300 or something now, which lessens the blow on that front.

On MPG I get 40 on a 70mph motorway run down to 25 around town / cross country thrash / 90mph motorway run.

CF
Servicing costs for Hyunda are dearer than Toyota - although this could be offset with the additional 2yrs warranty you get with the Hyundai (5yrs vs 3yrs Toyota)

Hyundai coupe runner-up in Autoexpress Usedcar awards behind TT & RX8:

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/55074/used_car_honours_...l
Toyota Celica - tr7v8
In the last few months Car Mechanics did a pricing of spares for Hyundai and the OEM equivalents. Some of the Prices were horrific discs for an Accent were around £ 100 Each, Golf ones were around £ 30, in fact my Alfa ones were only £ 70 each. This obviously influences servicing costs.

Jim