What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Blue LEDs - Chris S
Last night I thought I saw an emergency vehicle in my rear-view mirror. I took a second look and it was a car with those Blue LEDs on its windscreen washers.

Are LEDs classified as lights? If so quite a few peole are breaking the law.
Blue LEDs - Garethj
But it's a nice easy way to spot the idiots on the road!
Blue LEDs - Dynamic Dave
Are LEDs classified as lights? If so quite a few
peole are breaking the law.

Some of the posts in the following thread explain about blue lights:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=12388

but in short, providing they're not flashing, no law is being broken.
Blue LEDs - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Interesting. I've recently seen a few truckers with flashing blue lights in conjunction with a dinky little red and white scarf on the dash top.
I find blue lights ,flashing or otherwise, alarming.
Obviously have a guilty conscience.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Blue LEDs - Ex-Moderator
I don't know whether they are classed as lights or not, but I wonder how many of the people with the blue lights are aware that it is apparantly some form of gay advertising thing.

Not all of them, I suspect.
Blue LEDs - keo-the-dog
it might surprise you just how many do ...cheers...keo
Blue LEDs - SlidingPillar
Carefulk, Mark, you could be guilty of lesse-majeste here!

The monarch is allowed to have, and often does have, blue sidelights.
Blue LEDs - Dynamic Dave
I wonder how many of the people with the blue lights are aware that
it is apparantly some form of gay advertising thing.

Nah, you're confusing that with people who drive round with their front fogs on all the time.
Blue LEDs - Round The Bend
Nah, you're confusing that with people who drive round with their front fogs on all the time.

In Audi TTs?
Blue LEDs - GrahamF1
On the subject of blue lights, three of the air-vent dashboard illuminations on my Passat have died. Rather strange for three to go at once (not a fuse, the wiring diagram says all four are on the same fuse).

Any ideas how I get at the bulbs to change them? Haynes isn't very helpful on the matter and it looks like trying to prise the vents out would cause damage and not much success...

Am I trying to get this moved to Technical Matters?
Blue LEDs - Chris S
>>I wonder how many of the people with the blue lights are aware that it is apparantly some form of gay advertising thing.

It doesn't surprise me - one of my colleagues has blue LEDs on HIS MX5!
Blue LEDs - uk2usa
Dont knock blue LEDs. They may look stupid when people put them on their cars, but I work in the development of GaN semiconductors which are used in these. So this "gay" advertising helps to keep me in a job ;-)
Blue LEDs - henry k
Dont knock blue LEDs. They may look stupid when people put them on their cars, but I work in the development of
GaN semiconductors which are used in these. So this "gay" advertising helps to keep me in a job ;-)

>>
Well another application to boost sales.

I saw a new Jaguar with a blue LED on a little stalk at each door where the little door lock plungers are.
I guess it might have been advertising something.
Blue LEDs - uk2usa
I remember when blue LEDs first appeared on the Playstation II, we were all really impressed. There used to be only one Japanese company, Nichia, who made them and they made a fortune. Now, they are made by the million in Taiwan and seem to be going into everything, cars included.
Blue LEDs - THe Growler
Blue, green, pink, orange, flashing (in the purest sense of that word ;+), strobe lights, here we've got 'em all.

The fashion for blue indicator lights is disturbing though. At night they're OK but in the day in bright sunshine they are all but invisible. Then again no self-respecting Filipino uses indicators -- it gives the game away and you lose the advantage.....