What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Channel Crossings - Andrew Barnes

Does anybody know where to get the best deals for a Dover-Calais channel crossing in the New Year (3 day stay).

Thanks

Andrew
Re: Channel Crossings - alex mcwhirter
Andrew-
My advice is to shop around nearer your date of travel. The ferry operators are bound to put deals on the market once the busy Xmas/New Year travel period has finished. All the main operators (P & O, Sea France and Eurotunnel) have websites and they usually offer even lower prices for on-line bookings. Alex
Re: Channel Crossings - David Millar
Don't know about whether they give the very best deals but last time around (about a month ago) I used www.ferrysavers.com and the prices were close to those advertised on TV teletext with the advantage you were getting prices for actual timed crossings on specific days. I decided life is too short to spend any more time hunting for a couple of quid off. On that occasion direct booking through Stena or Eurotunnel was not cheaper although as Alex says they do have online booking offers from time to time.

David
Re: Channel Crossings - John
Andrew I just logged on and got a quote that will give you a yardstick. As a regular voyager, out on 2/01/02 08.30back on 5/01/02 18.30, I was quoted £84.00. A week over new year is costing me £178.
Re: Channel Crossings - Sue
I don't know about the cheapest, but we've used Sea France which was no more expensive than Stena. The advantage for me is that it makes you feel as if you are 'abroad' from the moment you board. Which I personally enjoy.
Re: Channel Crossings - Simon Butterworth
I would endorse every word of that, and add that in fact they are usualy cheaper than P&O or the tunnel. Very good deals now for next summer if you book b4 mid Jan, whether you will beat that by waiting to the last minute is a lottery, depends on the loadings at the time.
Re: Channel Crossings - Simon Butterworth
Doh!!!

realise now you are talking about early 2002. However for a 36 hour trip in November out Su am back Mo pm we found that again they were much cheaper than the tunnel, who we could not get below 178. Seafrance eventually fell from £120 to £85. Interestingly the outward ferry was near empty but the return full of freight.

Don't forget the other sea options of Hoverspeed and Norfolk Line (Calais to Dunkerque).
Re: Channel Crossings - El Dingo (Martin)
Andrew,

I'm going this Friday on a day trip - £44.00. So buy two day trips and throw away the unused portions.

Buy on two different credit cards, at different addresses, or the Eurotunnel computer will get you! (They can insist on making you pay for an upgrade if they know that you have abused the system).

I booked via the Eurotunnel web site (www.eurotunnel.co.uk). However, be warned , the prices change on an HOURLY basis. The best prices seem to pop up at 3 - 4 am. Also, the prices are 'generally' cheaper if you can buy in France.

Good Hunting!
Re: Channel Crossings - Ian Aspinall
Have been on that route a few times recently, always shopped around, and haven't been able to beat Sea France if booking a few weeks in advance. We're going for 3 days between Xmas and New Year, and car + 5 people = £89.
Re: Channel Crossings - Andrew Barnes
Thanks Guys, www.ferrysavers.co.uk looks very useful, will give them a go.

Cheers
Andrew