What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Frank Skinner - steve paterson
Watched the Frank Skinner show tonight, very good observation / joke.
Speed camera's are to be painted a bright colour so that everyone knows where they are. Why don't they paint store detectives a bright colour ?
Re: Frank Skinner - io
Because they aren't there to improve safety, but to increase profits would be the Frank answer ; - )
Re: Frank Skinner - steve paterson
io
I think the general gist of the joke was lawbreaking.
Why should one group of offenders be told that they might be being watched, and another group not told.
Steve.
Re: Frank Skinner - io
a) Because the store detectives are supposed to be there to catch lawbreakers who cause harm to others.

The cameras are supposed to be there to prevent law abiding citizens from causing harm (usually to themselves) by stopping them travelling at an inapproprate speed through accident black spots (and at no other location).

You might as well ask: why aren't store security guards in plain clothes and store detectives walking around in dayglo jackets with "Undercover Detective" emblazoned across the back, and why none of them are anywhere near the store anyway.

Alternatively:

b) Because drivers aren't ripping off stores.

They are being ripped off by speed tax stealth cameras and toll gatsos "policing" technical infringements of badly/not signed arbitrarily, inappropriately and cynically reduced limits lowered to unsafe speeds that will increase accidents as they increase revenue.

This has been discussed at length in many other threads where I, and others, have given the facts that give the lie to the store-ies of the self-appointed so-called "safety" campaigners.

PS As part of my attempt to re-educate myself I would welcome comments on which of the alternatives, if either, people prefer.

I/O ;-)
Re: Frank Skinner - ian (cape town)
IO, I think this all comes down to the variable speed limits proposal, which has been discussed here before.
In our neighbourhood, there is a 60km/h dual carriageway. Some nights I can bowl along there at close to double that, safely. So does everybody else.
Some nights, when it has been raining, or is misty, it is a deathtrap, even at 60.
The network of CCTV cameras could/should eb used to assess road conditions, and then speed limits could be set accorsingly, and changed as/when conditions improve or deteriorate
Re: Frank Skinner - Alwyn
No need Ian. Drivers already do this automatically. It's called the 85th percentile speed.

BTW, I used to know an Ian who went to South Africa. Ever lived in Kelsall?

As Steven Wright says " It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it"
Re: Frank Skinner - A. Piers Green
I thought that we environmentalists were the only jokers allowed to decide presidential policy, and it was the luvvies and meejas job to sell it to the public?

Now we've got comedians proposing traffic policy, and motorists seconding it.

I'm going to be out of a job soon.

Or would be if I didn't rely on all that fuel duty you chaps so willingly hand over.

Piers :-]