What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car price differences between towns. - Robin
Looked at a couple of Ford Mondeos today. Both cars were identical 1 yr old LX's with identical specifications, very very similar mileages and even the same colour - black.

One in Harrogate was £9,999
The local one in Northallerton was £8,999

Why should this be? Harrogate is certainly more genteel, posher and affluent than Northallerton but this price difference makes no sense

Car price differences between towns. - Hugo {P}
Robin.

This is one single comparison. Statistically you can't draw any conlusions from this. It could be that the owner of the cheaper one needs to get shot of it quickly or the owner of the more expensive one is over optimistic on the price.

H
Car price differences between towns. - martint123
Yes, one may sell it next week, the other doesn't mind waiting for a month or two before selling or dropping the price.
Car price differences between towns. - Robin
I take the point about sample size. However, the Northallerton dealer had a few similr cars, all the same price. Ford Direct has a load for the same price. The impression I got, and it was only an impression, was that the Harrogate garage was more expensive for everything
Car price differences between towns. - Altea Ego
Yup

car prices do vary by town, region and area.

Cars for sale on lots in East London are cheaper then cars on similar lots in West London.

Dealers will sell at whatever their "patch" will stand.
Car price differences between towns. - Wales Forester
If you go onto www.ford.co.uk/forddirect and do a vehicle search you will find that the same vehicles are listed at different prices by various dealers around the country.
I assume that as this list is the national stock and most are parked in compounds somewhere. Each dealer must put their own price against a various model/colour/mileage.

I found a £1625 price variation on the same Focus 1.8 LX 04 plate 14k - Inverness dealer £9800, Ashby de la Zouch dealer £8175, both Ford franchised dealers offering the same vehicle from Ford national stock with the same 2 year warranty but with an unbelieveable price difference.

PP
Car price differences between towns. - Wales Forester
By the way, if you're looking for a 1yr old Mondeo 1.8LX try www.cargiant.co.uk, they have a 53 reg example with 14.5k and an 04 reg with 20k for £7999 currently.

PP
Car price differences between towns. - mare
Yup
car prices do vary by town, region and area.
Cars for sale on lots in East London are cheaper then
cars on similar lots in West London.
Dealers will sell at whatever their "patch" will stand.

Second that, cars generally are cheaper in South Wales than Bristol, and Bristol rather than Bath
Car price differences between towns. - Vin {P}
Many years ago, I came across a bloke in Manchester who used to buy VW Beetles, advertise them in Northern Ireland, then drive over as the ad hit the streets. He'd stay in a B&B for a couple of days while he sold it, then use the cash raised to buy a secondhand mainstream car (Ford/Vauxhall), drive it back to Manchester and flog it. He said (15 years ago) he did about £1,000 a trip.

I do know that at the time, Irish Road Motors in Lisburn shipped every part-ex they took in over to England to sell; even after shipping they made much more money.

So, unless things have changed, there used to be big variations; don't know if it's still true.

V