What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dim dip headlights - Kingpin
I was thinking back the other day about the late 80's when dim-dip technology was introduced (preventing side light driving by switching on dipped beam at half voltage?).
Does anyone know why this was discontinued?
I have noticed many new cars driving around on tiny front side lights.
Perhaps it will come back into discussion with possible future Euro rules on dipped headlights permanently switched on.
(I know motorcycle lobby groups are against this development fearing their loss of visibility if all cars drive with lights on during daylight hours in addition to the usual motorcycles)
Dim dip headlights - Robin Reliant
I liked dim-dip, great in town when you didn't need dipped and glare was much reduced. Made it much easier to judge the speed of other vehicles.
Dim dip headlights - Cliff Pope
I have read that it was very bad for the headlamps, running them on part voltage means they don't run at full temperature so you get deposits and smokey glass. The article I remember reading somewhere said it was a very unthought out piece of low grade technology, introduced in a panic to meet some kind of perceived EU directive, but now discarded.
I'd say people either loved them or hated them. They were certainly a Volvo-hater's dream - not just "those lights" on all the time, but now headlamps as well!
Dim dip headlights - J500ANT
IIRC it was introduced for cars that didn't have electric beam height adjustment, to try and apease the EU. I'd guess that once all cars had the beam level switch it became defunct. The relays Vauxhall used were very poor, they would fail all the time leaving the car with headlamps on and no way of turning them off without pulling the plug on the box.

Tony
Dim dip headlights - Victorbox
I can confirm around 1994 my local Vauxhall dealer disconnected or removed the dim dip on my Cavalier when it was in for service. They didn't mention a thing but I knew they had been into the footwell area where the dim dip was located and a while after I noticed the dim dip wasn't working anymore. I didn't mind as it caused interference on the cassette player and a neighbour in the trade said they could catch fire!
Dim dip headlights - henry k
I had a Sierra, fitted with dip dim, for years with absolutely no problems. I think the level of light was good and so much better than just sidelights which are so often used.

I have now got the next best thing, IMO, ugraded W5W sidelight bulbs. They came free when I upgraded my headlights and dipped beams to Xenon bulbs. At a cost of £42 for a total upgrade I consider it money well spent. I am very impressed with the improved illumination on both dip and main beams.
If a dip beam fails I still have a reasonably bright side light.
Dim dip headlights - Baskerville
Why do we still have sidelights at all? The number of people driving with sidelights on the M6 last night, long after it was fully dark, was amazing. Dim dip isn't much better in those circumstances either. A couple of months ago in heavy rain on Shap I almost side-swiped someone running on sidelights only and received angry headlight flashing for cutting them up; when they passed they had rear foglights blazing. Headlights stayed resolutely off. Duh.
Dim dip headlights - Dwight Van Driver
Ahhhh memories Dim Dip.

Late 60"s early 70"s we had one on test and fitted to Bib Rangerover. A single unit centrally mounted. This fluctuated between full beam and dip dependendent on what other light source in encountered. Damn awful for you could be motoring on its full beam and suddenly dip function cut in for approaching/reflected light source leaving one somewhat in the dark. Deffo not a rabbit catcher.

It didn't seem to catch on and no wonder.

DVD

PS: Used it with the normal lights on side or dip beam.
Dim dip headlights - Peter D
Dim/Dip is still compulsory in Sweden, Finland etc due to the low daytime light level. I like them. Yes there is an issue of running them at low temperature but it does seem to effect the bulbs adversely. Regards Peter
Dim dip headlights - Schnitzel
Yes, the dim dip damaged the bulbs, as they need to run hot.
What happens is the gases chosen to fill the capsule have to be inert and have a high expansion ratio. The very high temperature causes a very high pressure inside the capsule, which stops the white hot filament from partially vapourising and condensing on the inside of the glass, when you lower the volatge, this process no longer works, and the filament vapourises onto the glass making it black/silver. It happens on studio lights too, that is why they don't like to dim them very often.
Dim dip headlights - Pugugly {P}
This excellent UK idea was floored by EU legistlation.
Dim dip headlights - hillman
I first experienced dim dip with a Volvo 440. After a while I got accustomed to people gesticulating to me to indicate that my lights were on in daylight. I'm all in favour of them. The facility isn't on my present car, so I now run with sidelights permanently on, switching headlights on after dusk.
I'd rather forget to switch the headlights OFF than ON. Recently I have seen quite a number of cars without lights during darkness. The street lighting must be very good to allow one to do that. Problem is when the car is a dark colour, and you don't see it until the last minute.