Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - machika
I drove for a while behind a Mondeo TDCi yesterday, that was blowing big puffs of black smoke out of it's exhaust for most of the time. We were not travelling particularly quickly (60 mph max) and for part of the time we were travelling through a 30 mph limit. It was smoking badly under the most gentle acceleration and it is just one of many that I have seen do this.

Is this not recognised as a widespread problem by Ford and have they tried to rectify it? I have seen it with Focus TDCis too.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - Big Cat
Me as well been behind a Focus Tdci and it surprised me how much smoke it was putting out. Can't beleive there's a serious problem with these engines, Ford have been producing diesels for a good many years and the tie up with PSA (who have been producing diesels since year dot) should ensure thorough engineering.
I suspect it's a software related fueling issue, easily sorted with a few strokes of the keyboard.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - CG
My 2004 Mondeo 130 TDCi had exactly the same problem - clouds of black smoke when accelerating under 2000 rpm. The cure was the replacement of the EGR valve. Now the exhaust looks very 'clean' and the low-down performance of the car has been transformed.

CG
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - v8man
I have seen several new passats and A4s smoking badly too. Maybe it's the fuel??
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - trancer
"Maybe it's the fuel??"

On a US based diesel forum, they seem to recommend buying diesel from larger truck stops during winter as those diesel stocks will have been replenished sooner and the "winter blend" will be available there sooner.

I don't know if petroleum companies here introduce a different "winter" diesel blend to deal with geling etc during colder climes, if they did, now would be the time we would see it.
I can't believe that it is a fuel related thing, as one would expect to see it from other diesels too and I have never seen any other modern direct injection diesel produce black smoke like that. The car I was behind yesterday was a 51 plate but I have also seen it from newer versions.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - googolplex
Just to reiterate the previous post:
There is a wealth of anecdotal evidence to confirm that a replacement EGR valve is the cure for this as well as the well documented misfire on the TDCi.
Look on the fordmondeo.org website for this.
Splodgeface
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - runboy
Behind an Alfa 156 demonstrator the other night. Looked like it had a small coal-fired power station under the bonnet judging by the clouds of black stuff coming out of the back-and this was in start-stop traffic so no flooring of the pedal here.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - tr7v8
Unusual to see black smoke from a 156, mine only does it on full boot acceleration after a period at cruise, and mine is 96K miles!
A thought occurs is that any diesel will smoke slightly when cold. Although see puffs of smoke from most diesels even when at speed.

Jim
I agree that one will see smoke from most diesels at times, but not nearly all of the time, and not such copious amounts, which has been the case with the Ford TDCis that I have seen.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - NARU
I agree that one will see smoke from most diesels at
times, but not nearly all of the time, and not such
copious amounts, which has been the case with the Ford TDCis
that I have seen.

Its a known fault with the EGR. Ford have been slow to react, but anybody suffering this should press their dealer to replace their EGR with the updated version.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - cheddar
Mines 85k no EGR or smoking probs.
It surely must be obvious when the car is serviced. What about during the MOT too? They must fail then.

It seems to me that Ford have done very little about it, judging by the number of cars that are affected. The owners/drivers must be aware of it too.
It surely must be obvious when the car is serviced.
What about during the MOT too? They must fail then.
It seems to me that Ford have done very little about
it, judging by the number of cars that are affected.
The owners/drivers must be aware of it too.

Machika,

My TDCi has done 85k with no smoking/EGR probs, nor have I noticed Mondeo's or Foci smoking anymore than any other diesels. I know an EGR prob is recognised by Ford and is fixed under warranty/TSB if required.

I wonder what you are trying to achieve with this thread, it is clear you don't have a Mondeo and you don't say that you are thinking of buying one?

Perhaps you are just fed up with looking at the rear of Mondeo 130's giving a small puff of smoke then disappering into the distance!!!

Regards.

Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - LukeMH
This may have looked like a pointless thread to you, but I am considering a Mondeo, and now to get someone to drive behind me on a test drive to make sure the car is not smoking if I do decide to get one

Luke
In response to Cheddar:

So I have to have a particular car before I can make comment on it?

I wouldn't have made any comment, if I didn't think it was unusual. It certainly isn't a small puff of smoke that they produce and there are an awful lot of them about that haven't been fixed yet. I would have thought it would have been attended to when the cars were serviced. How do they get through an MOT test otherwise?
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - Ex-Moderator
Lets all keep our toys in the pram please.
Sorry Mark, but I didn't think I had said anything out of order. If we only commented on cars that we owned, there wouldn't be much point in this forum. I haven't said anything that hasn't been remarked on by others in any case.
Machika,

If I had a problem with this thread, I would have mentioned it. Its a valid subject asked in a valid way.

However, I don't need the thread to degenerate. The comment was aimed at everybody to avoid it getting personal, not because it actually had.

Yet.
>>there are an awful lot of them about that haven't been fixed yet>>
Why have I not seen any then?

Taking on board the point about the thread degenerating the points being made are not subjective, i.e "I dont find the driving position comfortable". Hence I question the motives behind throwing around wild critisisms of a car if, 1/ the individual does not own one or 2/ is not intersted in buying one.

There are a lot of Mondeo TDCi's about because Ford has done a good job at designing, manufacturing, marketing and selling them. There is apparently an acknowledeged EGR problem that is easily fixed.

>>there are an awful lot of them about that haven't been fixed yet>>
No basis in fact.

>>I would have thought it would have been attended to when the cars were serviced>>
Of course it is, under warranty.

>>How do they get through an MOT test otherwise?>>
I guess they wouldn't if they suffer the EGR fault and are not fixed however it is only the very early TDCi's that will have been due for an MOT test.

Regards.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - Adam {P}
I have no idea how much diesels are meant to smoke but a nearly new (think it was 53 plate) Golf GT TDI absolutely blasted it away from tht lights the other day. I mean floored it - it must have been a 150. Anyway, I could hardly see! Ok - I'm exaggerating a little but I presumed they all did this.

By "they" I mean all diesels or am I still living in the world of plain old TD's?
--
Adam
Cheddar,

"I dont find the driving position comfortable".

...is not exactly the wildest criticism, now is it.

"Hence I question the motives behind throwing around wild critisisms of a car if, 1/ the individual does not own one or 2/ is not intersted in buying one."

Its a Motoring Forum; if you can't have an opinion about a car here, then where can you have it.

And I have loads of opinions about cars I don't own and that I am never likely to own.

Please lets lighten up a bit.
Cheddar, I don't agree that there is no basis for saying that there are a lot about that haven't been fixed. I have seen plenty myself and that hardly covers all of the country. I have seen them with 51 plates, 02 plates and 53 plates, that must have must have been through more than one service, and yet are still smoking more than they should do. So if it is not being attended to during a service, why isn't it?

No, I am not being anti Ford, as many would imagine. Yes, they are smoking more than they should do.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - keo-the-dog
well i am pro ford i love em and i want a tdci mondeo i'll get one in time but i would agree most i've seen tend to smoke a bit and the seats are extremely comfy although initially they dont feel it, take one for a long drive the seats are excellent . also anyone noticed how dirty the back end of modern estates get seems to be almost all models weird...cheers...keo
Its a Motoring Forum; if you can't have an opinion about
a car here, then where can you have it.

Hello Mark, pleased to see you are back modding by the way.

"I dont find the driving position comfortable" was an example of subjective opinion, not an example of wild critisism.

There is a difference between completely unfounded inaccurate statements and subjective opinion, for instance "most government ministers are adulterers" is completely unfounded, just because one or two might be does not mean that most are. However "I diagree with the government's policy on taxation" is subjective opinion.

Regards.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - googolplex
I would be alot more concerned if there was a problem but that Ford couldn't solve it. Fact, there is a fix, so getting through an MOT will (eventually) not be an issue. I'm rather with Cheddar on this, Machika; I accept that there are probably a few smokey ones out there, but, as someone else points out, its not a problem which is unique to Fords; there is a fix.
Splodgeface
There is a difference between completely unfounded inaccurate statements and subjective
opinion, for instance "most government ministers are adulterers" is completely unfounded,
just because one or two might be does not mean that
most are.

Yes Cheddar, and when I say there are a lot about that haven't been fixed, I don't mean most. I can't have driven behind every Mondeo or Focus TDCi in the country and neither do I drive behind one every time that I go out. Therefore I form my opinion from observing those that I do drive behind.
Another smoky Mondeo TDCi - Chips with everything
This is not just a Mondeo issue, although there is a known fault with the EGR valve on this car.

I believe that it is due to the tuning boxes that are becoming more and more prevalent. These force extra fuel into the cylinders, which cannot burn all of it, leading to an excess causing a fog behind the car. It is most noticable under full load.

Naturally, if there is an EGR fault too, well...