What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Snap on Inc. Worth it or not? - Andrew Petterson
I have seen many articles on this subject, some saying that although expensive, which they undoubtably are, extremely, they are better than anything else that money can buy. Apparently, some dealers use them. I am thinking of getting a set of snap-on sockets myself, my question is are they worth it or are they just too expensive.

Comments and opinions please

Many thanks,

Andy
Re: Snap on Inc. Worth it or not? - Joe Amato
Andrew Petterson wrote:
>
> I have seen many articles on this subject, some saying that
> although expensive, which they undoubtably are, extremely,
> they are better than anything else that money can buy.
> Apparently, some dealers use them. I am thinking of getting a
> set of snap-on sockets myself, my question is are they worth
> it or are they just too expensive.
>
> Comments and opinions please
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Andy

I am a mechanic by trade and use Snap On 50/50 with Britool sockets and spanners, Snap On are good and I tend to buy the tools and sockets that get high useage. Otherwise the compeditors are more than adequate for most jobs.

Regards

Joe
Halfords Professional any good either - David Millar
Does anyone have any thoughts on Halfords Professional range for amateur use? I have a couple of small spanners bought for specific jobs where my cheapo spanners were rounding off corners. The Professional range is supposed to work on the flats and did the trick in both cases I bought them for. They've just reduced the price of one of the sets and are dishing out £5 off vouchers for Xmas so I was thinking of treating myself (and the cars).

David
Snap-on vs Halfords - David Lacey
Snap-on is good stuff without doubt but I do think it is a little overpriced sometimes. The Halfords kit you mention is good stuff for a fraction of the cost of Snap-on kit.
High usage tools are better as Snap-on - they seem to do that awkward job just a little better!
The convenience of Snap-on is the van that visits every week - anything broken and it is replaced without YOU having to go to them. I guess there is a price to pay for convenience......

David
Re: Snap on Inc. Worth it or not? - steve paterson
Snap on stuff is good quality. So is a lot of other overpriced designer label stuff. The only reason that many (mainly younger) mechanics use it is because the Snap on dealer calls in to the workshop, and offers instant credit. The main problem with their tools is that they get lost or pinched just as easily as anything else. There's plenty of professional quality gear about at half the price. Britool and Elora are two names that spring to mind.
Snap on - Worth it or not? - David Lacey
Steve
I am only reporting what I find after investing about £10K in Snap-on kit over the past 10yrs or so.
I find some of the Halfords/Elora and especially Britool kit just as good, with the same lifetime warranties!
It's just not as convenient as having to traipse over to your local Halfords etc!
The instant credit is a bonus, mind. I don't think Snap on would be able to sell much kit withou this credit facility :-)

Snap on, worth it or not? Definately YES.

Kind regards

David
Re: Snap on - Worth it or not? - David W
Snap-On worth it as an overall package with the good credit and backup for the real pro maybe.

If Andrew is a DIYer then Halfords/Draper/Kamasa will be fine.

My main socket set is Kamasa and over 20yrs old. Three replacement sockets plus 1/4" and 1/2" (on my third) ratchets have been needed. Fair I would say.

My other socket set is a 20yr(ish) Draper and that is undamaged.

I have a set of Halfords Pro ratchet spanners that I swear by, slim but strong.

For normal spanners most of mine are cheap but seem to last if used as they were intended. An example is a Blackspur (a ver cheap brand) set of 24 spanners that I use for the farm eqpt/tractor....about £15 for the 24 in a roll, in Snap-On and similar makes these could cost about £80.

I prefer to get top value on these simple tools and spend the real cash on quality torque wrenches/special tools etc.

David
Re: Snap on - Worth it or not? - John Slaughter
Andrew

I'm an enthusiatic DIYer and I'm still using a Britool socket set I got 34 years ago! Doesn't get as much use these days, but I think that's pretty good.

Otherwise, I've a mixture including some Britool spanners, Kamasa stuff and the only failure I've had was an Elora ring spanner which snapped a ring.

The odd item I've bought at Halfords haven't had much use, but seem fine for DIY.

regards

John
Re: Snap on - Worth it or not? - steve paterson
David, wasn't criticising Snap on quality. In about 1982 - 83 I bought a short 3/8 drive ratchet, about £25 I think. You can increase the leverage by plugging a 3/8 drive extension into the end of it. For the best part of 20 years it was my only 3/8 ratchet, breaker bar and speed ratchet. Heavy industrial use. A couple of weeks ago it wore out. Like losing an old friend. On the other hand I bought a £35 magnetic screwdriver and the first time I used it was on a wiper motor. Demagnetised it.
Re: Snap on - Worth it or not? - Simon Saxton

I too have been heavily into DIY for several decades, I have Kamasa sets that have given excellent service over these years,but I cannot vouch for their quality nowadays...I did hear a rumour of taxation problems that cost them significant money a while back

regards
Simon
Re: Snap on - Worth it or not? - Dave N
I believe Halfords pro range is actually made by Facom, another quality brand. I have always got on OK with them, but of course they don't offer the range that snap-on does.
Re: Snap on - Worth it or not? - Richard Hall
Watch out for cheap Chinese tools, as they are often made of inferior steel and can shatter under heavy use. I once bought a Chinese bench vice. The first time I clamped something in it and hit it with a hammer, the main body casting broke in half.

I have found some excellent tools very cheaply at car boot sales and autojumbles. Look out for the well known brands - Britool, Snap-On etc.
Re: Snap on - Worth it or not? - Piers
I've found the Halfords socket sets to be very good quality with some nice little helpful touches - the smaller set I got has a 1/4" screwdriver handle which has a 1/4 socket in the top - Acts as the extension bar but enables you to spin off fittings easier. The small wrench managed to have my weight (15 stone) hanging off it trying to undo a axle plug so I'm pretty confident it should last.

Really cheap sockets are a waste of time as they usually have one external diameter for a wide range of nut sizes - hence the small sockets have walls so thick they don't fit into recesses and the big sockets (where lots of torque is more likely to be required) have thin walls and so fracture.

However I had big problems buying single imperial sockets in my local Halfords - until I figured out a 3/4" is 19mm. I've used this socket as a drift quite a few times and it's still in excellent nick.

I've found my set of TENG spanners have had a hard life and are still in excellent condition (I left one on the crank pulley nut - when I started the engine there was a big bang as the spanner shot off around the engine bay.......)

Piers
Re: Snap on - Worth it or not? - Rob
I've just bought a Halfords Pro set for about 60 quid. For the money, what you get is incredible value. The ratchets are probably not up to Snap-on longevity though - the the 'pro' guarantee doesn't cover "fair wear and tear i.e. ratchets" and Halfords have new mechanisms on sale display.

Britool stuff can take scaffolding pole level stick. Facom stuff looks beautifully made.

Rob
Re: Snap on Inc. Worth it or not? - Ben Chapman
Snap on trade on name. I have an Elora socket set that cost my mum a fortune even with 40% discount. The only thing i have found that is any better in the Elora set than the Halfords professional is the racket, but as the Halfords stuff has a lifetime garuantee its not really an issue. The Halfords tools are the best value i have seen. One thing im not sure about is whether they do six point sockets- cant remember. If i bought a new set now, id go for a six-point set, as i think they are less likely to round off nuts.

Ben