Kids these days - Gary
Driving into Nottingham today going on a quite busy A road max speed 50mph, I saw three kids aged approx 12 years , I was doing about 45mph, why do children always do it they seem to purposly walk slow accross the road making you hit the brakes, just as you are getting near to them they walk out onto the road and daudle along as if they didn't care if you hit them. Is this what they call entertainment. They all need locking up!
It makes me so mad this can cause accidents.
Re: Kids these days - Brian
Simply explains why over 50% of accidents to pedestrians are due to the pedestrian walking or running off the pavement into the path of a vehicle when it is too close to stop or avoid them.
See stats on www.ringroad.org.uk
Re: Kids these days - ladas are cool
its the old game called - chicken.
Re: Kids these days - ladas are cool
by the way everyone, i am cured.
Re: Kids these days - Lee H
Congratulations! (no apostrophe)

Lee
Re: Kids these days - ladas are slow
i also forgot to change my user name from ladas are cool.
Re: Kids these days - Gary
LAS,
May I make a suggestion to remove Ladas and the last three letters ie low we are then getting nearer the point!
Just joking!
Re: Kids these days - Gary
Certainly does explain it, but these kids were purposely walking slower and slower it was a game to see who would be last to the other side. The one who was last, avoided being hit by the narrowest of margins. Haven't these mindless idiots got anything better to do, also whilst driving along a bye pass going under a bridge had the closest of escapes when kids threw a brick from off the bridge just missing the car. But we cannot do anything these days as children are wrapped up in cotton wool!
I remember as a child going conkering on some frm land the farmer giving us (me and my mates) a clip round the ear for being on his land, we did not go there again, but if I'd have stopped and chased after these kids and gave them a belt round the ear it would be me who ended up in Court!
WHAT IS THE ANSWER?
Re: Kids these days - Ronald Mac
Your grammar is particularly similar to LAC, as is your server. Any relation t Chris?
Re: Kids these days - Alwyn
I had the same thing happen in a local village . Bunch of kids sitting on the pavement. I drove to the other side of the road to give them plenty of room and one idiot, about 12 years old makes eye contact with me and marches into the road.

This is when we get liberal fools saying drivers are child killers and we should always be able to avoid children, no matter what they do.

What's the answer? Get rid of the idea that kids do no wrong and start filming them jay-walking. Police are already doing it around here to try and check anti-social behavior so why not stupidity in traffic.

People don't often die from anti-social behaviour, but this jaywalking is dangerous. In fact, if it is deliberate, then it is not jay walking, it is much more serious.
Re: Kids these days - Sue
Alwyn wrote:
> What's the answer? Get rid of the idea that kids do no wrong
> and start filming them jay-walking. Police are already doing
> it around here to try and check anti-social behavior so why
> not stupidity in traffic.

The trouble is, the children playing these 'games' are getting younger and younger. Under the age of 10 the police can do very little - even supposing they come in response to a 999 call made because the little darlings are throwing stones at passing cars. Sometimes the parents don't care, sometimes they can't cope.

I don't know what the answer is, I wish I did. 7-8 year olds broke 17 windows at my son's school last weekend, and tried to set fire to a curtain, and came into school on Monday boasting about it.
my solution is to put the parents in prison if the kids are too young to.
Re: Kids these days - Mark (UK !!!!)
Occasionally I live in California in a small town called Foster City.

If any minor there commits an offence - vandalism, truancy, being a pain in the neck - then the San Mateo police have the parent's driving licence suspended. It *really* works.
Mark (UK !!!!) wrote:
> If any minor there commits an offence - vandalism, truancy,
> being a pain in the neck - then the San Mateo police have the
> parent's driving licence suspended. It *really* works.

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt whether that would deter some of the parents of some of the children I know to be a menace in this area, since they themselves have no respect for the law and would continue to drive without a licence. Maybe in San Mateo you can be put away for this with your children taken into care - although the chaos of the UK care system doesn't exactly inspire confidence!

Also, although the police know exactly who these children are, they just do not seem able to take effective action. If I see a group of children throwing stones at cars or damaging property, the police want to know exactly who did what. Even if I can identify the children concerned - which I often can - unless I can say "X threw a stone which hit a red car and then Y threw a stone which hit a blue car" they can't do anything except go and tell the children off. The children deny they were doing anything wrong, the parents side with the children ... etc
Re: Kids these days - Alwyn
I am a member of the local Crime Action Team and the police here (North Wales) are now trying a three strikes routine.

First offence verbal warning
Second offence, written warning to parents
Third offence visit to childs home by beat officers.
Fourth time Youth Offending Team takes over.

Too early to say if it is working.
Re: Kids these days - Lee H
This is going to sound very dim, but is this jay-walking? Don't we just need a law to sort it out like America?
Re: Kids these days - Darcy Kitchin
not dim at all, just an oversight by our overworked politicians.
Germany is pretty stern with jaywalkers, too
Re: Kids these days - THe Growler
Perhaps when Tiny Blur's finished saving the world he'll look into this latest of Western society's many problems.
Re: Kids these days - Marman
He will have plenty of tiime to do that shortly when he becomes President of the World
Re: Kids these days - Phil
Oh aye, like kids crossing the road slowly should be taking up his time right now....
Re: Kids these days - John Slaughter
Gary

Can only sympathise. Two young girls (about 12 I guess) deliberately walked out in front of us a month or two back, in Newbury - hardly a deprived area.

Sharp braking, and, sod it, a blast on the horn.

Result - the two fingers.

There are obviously some mindless kids about these days. Problem is, I just wonder what their long term prospects are with that attitude. Worryingly, I suspect heading for the discontented underclass.

regards

JS
Old flatulence! - Ian (cape town)
Call me an old F@rt if you like, but I have always had a healthy respect for anything on the road bigger than me.
Maybe if the-youth-of-today had to ride bikes as kids (and learn a bit about stopping distances, braking effect etc, and suffer the painful fact that falling off, or being a wise-ass on a wheeled vehicle gets you hurt) as opposed to being driven by mummy's taxi everywhere, they wouldn't have such a lax attitude to other road users ...
Or am I just being an old curmudgeon?
.....and their behaviors and attitude when they get drivers' licenses?

But it's not them, it's the society that has produced them and the system that rewards such behaviors.
.....and their behaviors and attitude when they get drivers' licenses?

But it's not them, it's the society that has produced them and the system that rewards such behaviors.
Re: Kids these days - Tomo
One trouble is, they know we dare not touch them and if we dare complain to the fuzz, the latter will as like as not just start walking round our vehicle; also they are being taught that cars (other than mummy's taxi aforesaid) are BAD.

Not even all young males, it seems to me, respond with as much enthusiasm to a really interesting car as they used to; although, on the other hand, they are all getting driving lessons ASAP, females too. The mimsers of the future?
Re: Kids these days - markymarkn
I had that happen to me in on an estate in derby once. they were all hanging in the middle of the road and didnt look like they wanted to move

So I burnt up to them and slammed the anchors on. they moved alright, but I got the usual two fingers from all of them.

Slammed the anchors on again, this time making the wheels lock and screech, jammed into into reverse...

should have seen them run. little punks. They werent in the road an hour later when i went back.
Re: Kids these days - markymarkn
and who the hell am I gonna complain to now? Nottingham has no cops!
Re: Kids these days - Tom Shaw
The Highway Code should be a compulsory school subject from the the first year of primary school. Everyone uses the roads even if they never learn to drive a car. I doubt if even a small percentage of the population know the difference between a Pelican and a Toucan crossing, let alone in the case of pedestrians, how long a car needs to come to a stop from any given speed. Anyone who drives regularly in town will know that the biggest danger is often caused by pedestrians, not other drivers. It is this basic ignorance of potential danger that causes teenagers to believe that they can challenge drivers to play chicken without danger.
Re: Kids these days - Ian (cape town)
It's down to Political Correctness, methinks.
All this cobblers about "rights" etc etc etc ... you know the stuff "You have the right to do this..."
Well, unfortunately they don't drop the other shoe - if I, by error, drive over some poor kid, he is just as dead whether he is in the right or the wrong.
It sounds horrible, but unfortunately it is true.
The same goes for grown-up (physically not mentally) tweed jacket wearers on bicycles.
So, they might HAVE a right of way, and a foolish motorist might miss seeing them, and be in the wrong, but the sturdy Raleigh is no protection against a ton of car ...
rant over.
Tom Shaw wrote:
>
> The Highway Code should be a compulsory school subject from
> the the first year of primary school.

Hear hear!
Re: Kids these days - BigAl
Yep. My wife is a school teacher and has 30 of the little darlings to control every day ! No wonder the teachers are leaving in droves.
Re: Kids these days - Marman
The breakdown in discipline today both on the road and off is the fault of society. There is no punishment given out only to the poor old motorist. A motorist or motorcyclist on the road with no lights would not get far without being stopped, a cyclist will never be stopped. The motorist and motorcyclist use their lights because they have the deterent of a fine, or being banned for repeated misdemeanours. The majority of cyclists cannot be bothered to use any lights because they will not be fined or banned. the same goes for driving on the pavement, riding up one-way streets, jumping the traffic lights, the cyclist does it, but the moped rider or motorcyclist doesn't, at least you would be able to hear the motorcyclist coming. Is it no wonder our children have no road discipline when they see adults riding bikes like themselves breaking the law every day. I am nearly 60 now, when I was a child nobody would dare ride a bike without lights, they would soon be stopped by the police. The law is there why do not the police enforce it.
Re: Kids these days - Reg Male
> Oh aye, like kids crossing the road slowly should be taking up his time right now....

So why the two current enquiries (see other threat) into how to make our little corner of the world just that little bit "safer" for the little darlins.

Try reading the Welsh one - today'd the deadline for responses - can be emailed!
Reminds me of crawling down a narrow but busy country road for mile after mile after mile. Finally saw what the problem was: a couple of cyclists, two abreast, out for an enjoyable afternoon. And hardly any chance of getting past due to the steady stream of oncoming traffic.

Eventually (a long, long time later) I got past, and put my foot down, only to hit (figuratively ;-) another traffic jam. Nope, not more cyclists: steeply cambered flooded road. And everyone (4x4's included) was politely taking it in turn to drive on the nearly dry crown. When my turn came I couldn't be bothered to mess about and just powered forward through the flood.

Oops, never notice the cyclists had just undertaken me on the pavement until it was too late to stop the tidal wave. But what amazed me was that they could do more than 5mph. Much, much more!
> So why the two current enquiries (see other threat)

Talk about freudian :-(
Re: Kids these days - Randolph Lee
On a Headstone

RIP

Here Lies the Body of Robert Jay
Who Died Defending his Right of Way

He's Just as Dead as if he'd Been Wrong
Re: Kids these days - steve paterson
Kids have always been kids, but I suppose their 'games' have changed with the times. No more hopscotch or scrumping. A new game on my local estate is for one of a group of youths to make a dash for the road just as a car is approaching. Emergency stop, many laughs.
one thing you never see on a headstone is something like - here lies joe bloggs, who was a miserable old sod.
The husband of one of my assistants tried remonstrating with a bunch of kids vandalising their local park yesterday and got his throat slashed.
It has put me off having anything to do with misbehaving kids, particularly stopping.
My attitude today if one had deliberately run out in front of my might well have been to let him commit suicide if he wanted to.
Re: Kids these days - Andy
Waiting to pick up my wife this evening, I saw a child of about five come flying out of a back entry (please no Grahan Norton innuendo!) and into the road. No lights, no nothing.
On our way home, a lad of 9 or 10 hurtled out into our path and I jammed on my brakes, stopping about 5 feet after I would have hit him if he had not managed to stop himself. Again, no lights, sod all.
And all the time our Government (aided by the anti-car groups like T2000 and the Greens) bung the blame on the motorist.
We have FOUR pedestrian crossings on our 300 yard shopping street, but still the pedestrians seem obsessed with hurling themselves into the road within a few feet of a moving car! Then there are the ones who slowly shuffle into the road, causing cars either to steer into oncoming cars or to jam on the brakes...
If this 'government' really want to see a reduction in road deaths, they should set about an education and enforcement programme for ALL road users, instead of just whacking the car owner.
Ooops, forgot the old Gent on a bike, going against the traffic on our one-way system.....
Re: Kids these days - Phil Goodacre
This really is nothing new, perhaps a bit of the 'Good old days' going on here.
I can remember when I was about 11/12 years old, some mates and I used to do a similar trick, seeing who could be the last to run accross in front of an approaching car. The difference being that on one occassion, the driver stopped. Fortunately (and I mean fortunately) the driver was an off duty policeman who gave us the biggest telling off, took our names and addresses and contacted all our parents who in turn repeated the telling off. Never did it again. Too many parents think it is up to schools to teach discipline. Blame the parents and the 'Civil rights' brigade.
The problem is simply that everybody bangs on about "rights", but the word "responsibility" has disappeared.
Re: Kids these days - Julian Lindley
Whilst we all recognise these behaviours and often see them if not read about them, a satisfactory solution is difficult to achieve without the wider support of society as a whole. Most law abiding folk are rightly outraged at the way some people behave, but society has been pushing out the walls of constraint for a long time now, and continues to do so with the active support and encouragement of a range of commercial interests (media and television ect)

I reflect that the public do not like our politicians to operate like the "Nanny" State" and prescribe the exact standards we should live by, and I guess, neither do I. However, anti social behaviours evolve in society, often as a result of a government initiative, if you like, a backlash to good intent. Discipline in schools or lack of it in public is just two examples.

I believe that some personalities are unable to conform to the norm, and need to be controlled and disciplined within a harsher environment. Political correctness will just emasculate us and societys problems will get infinitely worse.

Julian
Re: compulsory Highway Code - Carole
Tom Shaw wrote:
>The Highway Code should be a compulsory school subject from the the first year of primary school.

Everyone seems to have some view of what else should be taught in schools (the list is endless) as well as a basic curriculum (which apparently, according to the popular press, they never do properly anyway). Whilst I can see what you're saying, teachers just don't have the capacity to squeeze any more compulsory subjects in. Don't parents have a role in all this somewhere? And most schools I know do do some sort of road safety awareness anyway, as part of the curriculum, as and when its appropriate.

And they have to cope with children displaying the kind of behaviour everyone has described here. Not a job for the faint hearted.