What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Bullbars - cheddar
Sorry a quote from the "4x4's in accidents" thread had made me rather cross!
it was discovered that there was absolutely no evidence of any

cases where a bull-bar had been responsible for increasing the seriousness of injury in any accident.

Sorry, that is the biggest load of rubbish I have heard for years, infact it makes me quite angry!!!!!!!! Just as it does when I see an idiot driving around with 3" diameter solid chrome bull bars for no reason other than they think it look good just ready to kill a small child who's head inadvertently comes into contact with them at anything more than a few mph.
Bullbars - Manatee
Agree. There was "no evidence" that anybody should worry about mad cow disease either. "No evidence" isn't evidence, even if it were true that none has been put forward.
Bullbars - P 2501
Agree too.That is most definately rubbish.
Bullbars - Mark (RLBS)
1) watch the language

2) there is a big difference between "absence of evidence" and "evidence of absence". It may be that the first is true in this case, but that doesn't mean that the second is.

Surely common sense says that these things are dangerous.
Bullbars - cheddar
Sorry about the bad language, I thought the "@@" instead of "ll" etc covered it.

Thanks.
Bullbars - Garethj
About 12 years ago, Land Rover were experimenting with foam bull bars on the P38A new Range Rover, they look the same as the matt black steel ones but are more pedestrian friendly. Anyone know what happened to that idea?
Bullbars - greenhey
There is evidence, but I can't now recall the source except that it was one of the national road research centres .It was pretty detailed and conclusive.
The point was that the bullbars (either) lifted the pedestrian and onto the bonnet ,or pushed them down an dunder the car .Whichever it was the person hit spends more time in contact with the vehicle .
I guess given the weight of most 4x4s the bullbars add relatively little , but the weight of the object hitting you will make a difference.
I think it was after the research that bullbars were banned from being fitted to new cars , but the after-market was left alone.
I find them pretty offensive , a waste of money and energy and yet another example of people missing the point about what being a driver is about.
Bullbars - Mark (RLBS)
They may be a waste of money, but its not mine. Styling can even be ludicrous, but I couldn't say it offends me. And its not for me to say what the point of being a driver is about for someone else.

However, bullbars are solid, unbending and ungiving. I wouldn't fancy getting slapped with a lump of bullbar in someone's hand, never mind it smacking me in the face at 40mph.

I don't like legislation, and I like restrictive legislation even less, but there comes a point where something is just sooo unneccessary and harmful that it needs to be stopped - and bullbars definitely cross that line.

I don't really understand why new car bullbars would be banned yet after-market permitted. Generally I would have thought that aftermarket stuff was more likely to be ill-fitted and dangerous.

Mind you, I wish they would focus on a bit of pedestrian training and pedestrian punishement as well and not always default to the side of "its the vehicle's fault/responsibility/etc.".
Bullbars - cheddar
Mark,

Thank for making the amends.

I agree with your comments 100% however there are some things in life that should so clearly be legislated against, in my mind Bullbars fit this category.

With regard to pedestrian training, schools are taking this seriously, and have for many years (remember the Tufty Club), parents need to reinforce it as well.
Bullbars - buzbee
Over a decade ago there was a bill going through parliament to ban them after surgeons had complained about the seriousness of the injuries they caused, such as more severe multiple bone fractures.

A well know character, still on around on the London scene, who had a commercial interest in the motor trade, and was a politician, stood up in parliament and talked for long enough for the bill to run out of time!
Bullbars - GrumpyOldGit
No axe to grind. I don't have a strong view on bullbars either way. This is purely in the interests of fair play.

After an admittedly brief search of the net there appears to be no evidence that bullbars increase pedestrian deaths. The research is mainly from Australia and the result is inconclusive, saying that even if bullbars were banned, the effect on accidents would be negligable.

Bullbars do not lift or push down a pedestrian on impact. The impact is the same as if they were not there, and it's actually better for the pedestrian to be hit by a 4x4 then a car. The bars can cause additional injury to the torso. Head injuries are about the same, so it's likely that the person impacted would have been killed even if the bars were not there.

More searching might find other results of course, but that's what I've seen so far.
Bullbars - Garethj
The impact is the same as if they were not there, and it's actually better for the pedestrian to be hit by a 4x4 then a car.>>

I don't know about existing accident stats, but I believe that a crash test dummy scenario would show up the difference between being hit by a 2 or 3 inch diameter steel bar fixed rigidly to the chassis, and a plastic bumper, radiator grille and a flat piece of steel bonnet. Push down in the centre of a bonnet and it'll flex nicely, a bull bar won't.

For "it's actually better for the pedestrian to be hit by a 4x4 then a car." Is this for a 4x4 with or without bull bars?
Bullbars - GrumpyOldGit
There's a bit on bullbars in the UK here. Seems that the danger is overstated.

gd.tuwien.ac.at/faqs/faqs-hierarchy/uk/uk.transpor...Q

There are also many other interesting Qs&As there.
Bullbars - cheddar
After an admittedly brief search of the net there appears to
be no evidence that bullbars increase pedestrian deaths.
Bullbars do not lift or push down a pedestrian on impact.
The impact is the same as if they were not there,
and it's actually better for the pedestrian to be hit by
a 4x4 then a car. The bars can cause additional injury
to the torso. Head injuries are about the same, so it's
likely that the person impacted would have been killed even if
the bars were not there.

1/ I do not subscribe to the "I found it on the net so it must be true" club.

2/ The little common sense that I have tells he that a few feet of 3" diameter chrome bar wrapped around the front of a vehicle does not mae it any safer to be hit by. To follow on from Mark (RLBS)'s point I would rather be hit over the head by Lennox Lewis holding a bonnet panel than by Willy Carson holding a 3" dia metal bar.

3/ I do not believe that 4x4's are no more likely to cause injury than conventional cars (of course there are exceptions both ways), just look at NCAP stats, also 4X4 braking distances are generally longer.
Bullbars - Sofa Spud
Be as angry as you like but I heard a report some time ago on the radio saying that there is no evidence that bull-bars have caused any injuries that would not have occurred had they not been fitted.

I do not like bull-bars, I would never fit one to any vehicle I owned.

I have witnessed a nasty incident with a bull-bar when someone tried to recover a Range Rover which was stuck in mud while off roading. The foolhardy people involved attached a kinetic rope to its bullbar and tried to yank it out of the mud with another 4x4. The rope ripped the bull-bar clean off the Range Rover and catapulted it through the air. Had anyone been in its path they'd have been killed. But that's outside the scope of the 'ban bull-bars' argument.

Cheers, SS
Bullbars - cheddar
Hi SS,

At risk of repeating myself it must be clear to all that 3" diameter chrome bar wrapped around the front of a vehicle makes it more dangerous to pedestrians in the event that they are hit by the vehicle!

Regards.
Bullbars - machika
So impact absorbing materials and construction are a waste of time then? It is also better to be slammed into the road than knocked into the air? I thought recent work on pedestrian safety, by the car industry, had concluded that it is much better to have a lower point of impact?

Big 4x4s are also much heavier than average saloon cars, so will hit a body with more force for a given speed (a bit like comparing the punch of a heavyweight with that of a featherweight).
Bullbars - Sofa Spud
Before I give anyone apoplexy, let me 'unpack this issue' a little, to borrow a bit of NewLabourSpeak.

Obviously bull-bars look like they could cause serious injury. Common sense would say that. I was quoting a piece of 'evidence' in comparison to the general 4x4 safety topic. I distinctly remember this guy on the Radio 4 saying that no deaths or injuries had been directly attributatble bull-bars. I don't know if that's true, I'm just quoting it. Perhaps I should have made that clearer.

However thinking about it, most 'real' bullbars are fitted to Land Rovers - Defenders, Series 2 or 3 models and older Range Rover Classics. These vehicles have a substantial steel bumper, a high ground clearance and in some cases a rounded bonnet leading edge that is probably as hard as tubular steel if it hits you. Maybe it's more a case of these vehicles being so pedestrian-unfriendly that adding a bull-bar wouldn't make things worse!

SS
Bullbars - GrumpyOldGit
Please go and search the net for yourselves. Maybe everything you find isn't a fact, but read a few articles and then make a perhaps more sensible decision. It has to be a better bet than the speculation being posted here. There seems to be a few comments along the lines of 'They look dangerous so they must be...' - 'Common sense tells me they kill people'. Australian research shows that they don't.

Vehicles with bullbars have been involved in extremely few collisions resulting in pedestrian death. In those that did occur there is no evidence that the death was caused or made more likely by the bullbars - the pedestrian would have died in any case, bullbars or not.

It is a fact that being hit by a 4x4 is less likely to kill than being hit by a car as the pedestrian's head is unlikely to be slammed down onto the bonnet, wipers or screen edge, and that's where the damage occurs. Didn't Top Gear or 5th Gear or one of them test this last week?

I would not fit bars if I owned a 4x4 just because I don't much like the look, and they are just useless extra weight imo.

I believe in freedom, and until there is scientific evidence that they do harm, I can't see any reason to object to them being available to those that want them.
Bullbars - Andrew-T
The various contributions to this thread suggest that there are few hard facts from which to draw conclusions, so those conclusions have been drawn from 'common sense', often a useful arbiter in many (but not all) cases. However let no-one be lulled into thinking that 'there is NO evidence that ..' means the same as 'there IS evidence that .. isn't true'.
Bullbars - No Do$h
A moment of brevity, if you will allow me.

Picture a Porsche Cayenne...... bad isn't it. Now picture it with bullbars.

I'll leave you with that thought.
Bullbars - Adam {P}
Eugh....Cheers Alan!

Bullbars look nice on one car and one car only. A Mark 1 Mishi Shogun. That is the only car...ever.

Other than that, I can't say I have anything useful to contribute to this thread now so I will leave/

:-)
--
Adam
Bullbars - Mark (RLBS)
>>A moment of brevity, if you will allow me.

Alan - look up "levity" & "brevity" in a dictionary and see if you wish to reconsider your request.

The effects of yesterday still there, are they ?
Bullbars - No Do$h
>>A moment of brevity, if you will allow me.
Alan - look up "levity" & "brevity" in a dictionary and
see if you wish to reconsider your request.
The effects of yesterday still there, are they ?

Ugh. Well, yes, but that's pretty poor of me. I think I'll go and get an early night.
Bullbars - Mark (RLBS)
So, I took the suggestion and had a look. What evidence there is in Australia seems to be suggestive that there are bad, but that it cannot be proved or quantified due to thelack of appropriate data.

Essentially an abence of evidence rather than any evidence of absence.

However, I did get reading a couple of their reports while I was there. They are worth the effort if only to consider the difference between these and similar reports I have read here.

A quick browse tends to suggest that there is a lot less politics and more genuine concern about road safety than you find here.

www.atsb.gov.au/road/pdf/bull-bars.pdf

www.walk.com.au/pedestriancouncil/Page.asp?PageID=...8

www.atsb.gov.au/road/pdf/mgraph7.pdf

www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/rn/2003-04/04rn27.htm ("4WDs are about as risky as large cars")

ncb.intnet.mu/mpi/tmrsu.htm (I know its not Australia)
Bullbars - NowWheels
Thanks for the references, Mark.
www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/rn/2003-04/04rn27.htm
("4WDs are about as risky as large cars")

Interesting point in that article (which doesn't appear to consider pedestrian safety):

In general, 4WDs reduce injury risk for their occupants but raise the risk facing everyone else, according to a Monash Accident Research Centre report.(3) In using a 4WD, instead of a normal car, one's chance of death or serious injury falls by 4 in 1000. But the chance of killing or injuring others rises by 11 in 1000, with a resulting cost to the community.

Which is precisely why some folks want restrictions on their use.
Bullbars - Mark (RLBS)
If anyone was going to selectively quote from a report to their own ends, I could have bet it would be you.

Try looking at the overall more pragmatic, less-biased, less-soapbox, less controlling, less know-it-all and generally less irritating approach of those documents, especially in comparison to those that you normally spout.

Did you read on further ??

"There is an argument that people need to be taught the correct ways to drive, rather than only be sanctioned and penalised. However, currently, the primary response appears to be a push for tougher punitive sanctions against those responsible for road deaths and injuries. Maybe both measures have a role."

or even....

"Overall, 74 per cent of pedestrians involved in fatal crashes were primarily responsible for the crash and a further 8 per cent were partially responsible"

Those reports seemed reasonable and objective to me, and therefore worthy of attention.

Your opinions and approach would fail both of those tests.

Bullbars - NowWheels
Did you read on further ??

Indeed.

The points you quote are interesting (though I'd disagree with some of them), but they are looking at a different question -- how vehicles are used.

Any vehicle can be driven dangerously or more safely, but that doesn't alter the fact that some vehicles are more dangerous when collisions do occur.
"There is an argument that people need to be taught the
correct ways to drive, rather than only be sanctioned and penalised.
However, currently, the primary response appears to be a push for
tougher punitive sanctions against those responsible for road deaths and injuries.
Maybe both measures have a role."

I would agree fully. More enforcement and more driver training.
or even....
"Overall, 74 per cent of pedestrians involved in fatal crashes were
primarily responsible for the crash and a further 8 per cent
were partially responsible"

>>
Those reports seemed reasonable and objective to me, and therefore worthy
of attention.

Now that gets interesting: it all depends on how you define responsibility. That could be a purely subjective assessment, or it could be based on an application of the current rules of the road. Those rules could be framed in alot of different ways, so it's a much more complicated question than the simple 74% figure suggests.
Bullbars - Mark (RLBS)
>so it's a much more complicated question ....

I see. So those that support your point of view can be taken at face value, whereas those that don't are *so* complicated and need to be considered with so much more interpetation.

Complete and utter claptrap.
Bullbars - NowWheels
>so it's a much more complicated question ....
I see. So those that support your point of view can
be taken at face value, whereas those that don't are *so*
complicated and need to be considered with so much more interpetation.
Complete and utter claptrap.

Defining responsibility starts from a presumption about what is the appropriate way for both parties to behave: change the assumptions, and you get different resulks. That's not just about pedestrian safety: think, for example about the difference in behaviour required by the French prioite a-droit rule.

It's much more straightfoward to compare what happens when object X is hit by two different vehicles.
Bullbars - cheddar
"Overall, 74 per cent of pedestrians involved in fatal crashes were primarily responsible for the crash and a further 8 per cent were partially responsible"

I understand the point however this is no argument against making cars safer in respect of accidents involving pedestrians. Otherwise it is a bit like saying:

.. we won't put railings on the new bridge across the 500ft gorge, afterall if anyone walks to close to the edge and falls off it is their fault, not ours ...
Bullbars - Robin Reliant
Just out of interest, has anybody ever carried out any reserch into how pedestrians fare in a collision with a bus? Not very well, I should think!
Bullbars - Mark (RLBS)
I've trimmed the thread a bit. Ho hum.
Bullbars - machika
I haven't really had an answer to the points I raised. Is the industry working to a common standard in trying to reduce pedestrian injuries, or is there no common agreement on which basic design features will reduce the severity of injuries? I thought this was the next big step forward for car manufacturers, after years of developing in-car safety features.
Bullbars - NowWheels
Is the industry working to a common standard in trying to reduce pedestrian injuries

I can't remember where I read it (beware of unsourced rumour!), but I thought that the EU was legislating for new standards which would include soft, bluff, front ends to cars.
Bullbars - machika
I saw a TV programme not long ago (I can't remember what it was), where the principle of being knocked up onto the bonnet was put forward as a much better option than being flattened onto the road, basically because some give can be built into the bonnet of a car but, obviously, not into a road surface.

This seems to be an accepted principle by the majority of car manufacturers and the road safety lobby. The front ends of most modern saloons are now much lower and have more slope on them than they ever used to, unlike most 4x4s, which remain much squarer and higher.
Bullbars - Robin Reliant
To be honest, if you are hit by a car whether you roll up a pedestrian friendly front and crack your head on the winscreen or whether you are thrown to the ground and hit your head on that is largely irrelevant, it's going to hurt. How much depends mainly on how hard you are hit.

As 80% of car/pedestrian accidents are said to be the pedestrians fault that is the problem that most needs to be addressed. Little or no road safety is taught in schools when it really ought to be given prominance, especially in the most formative years before secondary school. Teaching children how to put condoms on bananas is one thing, but the time could be better spent on basic road safety lessons. Might mean a few more pregnant bananas, but most parents would accept that if their kids were less likely to end up under a car.
Bullbars - Hugo {P}
The only disadvantage a bullbar has for the pedestrian is that is is generally unyielding. That is to say that there will be no give, as opposed to a car bonnet, which does offer some give in a collision with a pedestrian. There have been cases where pedestrians' lack of survival has been put down to the fact that bullbars are fitted.

Whether the same give is available to the pedestrian in the bonnet of my Discovery, I don't know.

I am surprised no manufacturer has considered an option of a spring loaded bulbar that can move back a couple of inches to soften the blow.

IMO Bullbars are a good tool for offroading as they do reduce damage by inanimate objects that you may hit if you're unfortunate. Also they are seen as useful to farmers who may wish to protect fragile parts of their cars from livestock. I agree they have little use on the roads except to protect the vehicle from other drivers!

To that end I can understand why some off road vehicles around me have them whilst on the road. I live on the Devon Cornwall boarder in a rural area about 20 miles north of Plymouth. However, I am seeing fewer bullbars on SUVs etc but more on vans, cars, pickups etc!

It seems that if people cannot afford a 4x4 they then go and spend good money making sure their vehicle looks like one!

And, no the Discovery hasn't got bullbars. However I do have a set for it. I am reluctant to fit them permanently but for off roading etc they are a useful tool. They support a pair of spot lights, which you tent to need with headlights on the 200TDi Discovery as the standard headlights are not brilliant.

However, after reading this thread, I think the spots will be fitted on the front bumper or on a light bar.

H
Bullbars - tyro
< >

Stags dashing into the paths of cars, esp if they are red deer stags, can make a bit of a mess. And in some parts of the Scottish Highlands, sheep roam free, and ocassionally leap in front of cars. Bullbars might help protect vehicles in such cases.
Bullbars - patently
I plan to stay on the pavement.
Bullbars - Chad.R
Stags dashing into the paths of cars, esp if they are
red deer stags, can make a bit of a mess.

A couple of years back a red deer stag quite literally jumped on to the bonnet of my BiL's (then brand new) disco and rolled onto and over the roof. The front of the car was untouched and a bull-bar would have been useless. Thankfully it was only him in the car and he was unhurt, just very shaken. The car was written off or at least he didn't want it back.

Bullbars - cheddar
However, after reading this thread, I think the spots will be
fitted on the front bumper or on a light bar.

Well done Hugo, one less set of Bullbars on the road, makes starting the thread worthwhile!

Many thanks.
Bullbars - cheddar
Just out of interest, has anybody ever carried out any reserch
into how pedestrians fare in a collision with a bus? Not
very well, I should think!

>>

A bus with Bullbars would be worse.
Bullbars - IanJohnson
How many of the people with bull bars fitted have told their insurance companies that they have modified their car/4x4????
Bullbars - Garethj
>> "Overall, 74 per cent of pedestrians involved in fatal crashes were primarily responsible for the crash and a further 8 per cent were partially responsible"
>>

a bit like saying: .. we won't put railings on the new bridge across the 500ft gorge, afterall if anyone walks to close to the edge and falls off it is their fault, not ours ...

Hammer, head of nail, direct hit. Sadly the idea that we can prevent accidents that are not our fault if we do a little work is an alien concept to many.
Bullbars - Mark (RLBS)
>>a bit like saying: .. we won't put railings on the new bridge across the 500ft gorge, afterall if anyone walks to close to the edge and falls off it is their fault, not ours ...

Not really, because what tends to happen all too often in this country is that efforts are made to stop *everybody* using the bridge.

The risk that someone could walk on the bridge and then climb on the railings and then fall off when trying to balance on one leg in a pink tu-tu with a bucket on their head is such a risk that more normal people should either be banned from crossing the bridge, or at least should have to pay a very large tax to try and discourage them from doing so.

Put all the railings up that are deemed neccessary, but don't stop me crossing the bridge simply because some moron is incapable of doing so. Attack the morons for the moronic behaviour, not me.

>>Sadly the idea that we can prevent accidents that are not our fault if we do a little work is an alien concept to many.

Equally, the idea that life involves some risk, even if you are sat still in your armchair at home, and that there is a level of personal responsiblity involved in life falls by the wayside.

We are all pushed to the lowest common denominator. If one person is incapable of understanding the rules, then we are all penalised - its just so much easier and more fashionable than actually trying to address the more difficult problem.
Bullbars - Garethj
Not really, because what tends to happen all too often in this country is that efforts are made to stop *everybody* using the bridge.>>

Agreed, this is sadly true.

>>We are all pushed to the lowest common denominator. If one person is incapable of understanding the rules, then we are all
penalised>>

As above.

Back onto bullbars, the law was changed in the 1980s (I think) to stop manufacturers putting mascots etc on the bonnet because of pedestrian safety although people were still allowed to put them on afterwards. I vote for something similar with bull bars - it's not a necessity for manufacturers and I think people should be trusted to make their own decisions and be responsible for the consequences.
Bullbars - NowWheels
Equally, the idea that life involves some risk, even if you
are sat still in your armchair at home, and that there
is a level of personal responsiblity involved in life falls by
the wayside.

The question of risk is interesting: sadly, resources are rarely directed in the most effective ways. So we are spending a fortune on electronic train safety systems, rather than the much cheaper and more effective option of restoring integrated control over the railways. (Talk to any of the folks managing the new balkanised control structures on London Underground, and hear endless examples of the chaos that is causing).
We are all pushed to the lowest common denominator. If one
person is incapable of understanding the rules, then we are all
penalised - its just so much easier and more fashionable than
actually trying to approahc the more difficult problem.

Sometimes it's the rules themselves that are the problem. Bullbars are one example of where the absence of a rule stacks the odds against those who don't have them.

But more generally on pedestrian safety, the problem in urban areas is that the folks who bare the greatest risk (pedestrians) are the ones deemed at fault by the current rules. Shifting the responsibility around to those who cause the risk (i.e. drivers) woukd rebalance the equation.
Bullbars - Mark (RLBS)
Your point on the railways is valid, but your point on the pedestrians is flawed.

Right now the equation has swung ridiculously the wrong way. It is a reasonably simple concept in that pedestrians have paths and people roads. Now clearly, and incident between the two and the pedestrian is going to lose.

Clearly the car driver needs to accept that as a responsibility, even if not his fault, and understand that some restrictions will be in place on him for the protection of others, more stupid than he.

Hwoever, where is the other side of that effort ? Responsiblitiy and common sense of the pedestrian ? Sadly lacking and deeply unfashionable.
Bullbars - machika
>> Clearly the car driver needs to accept that as a responsibility,
even if not his fault, and understand that some restrictions will
be in place on him for the protection of others, more
stupid than he.
Hwoever, where is the other side of that effort ? Responsiblitiy
and common sense of the pedestrian ? Sadly lacking and deeply
unfashionable.

We are all pedestrians at some time aren't we? Do we all act responsibly when driving a car and then irresponsibly when we switch to being pedestrians?
Bullbars - NowWheels
Your point on the railways is valid, but your point on
the pedestrians is flawed.
Right now the equation has swung ridiculously the wrong way. It
is a reasonably simple concept in that pedestrians have paths and
people roads. Now clearly, and incident between the two and the
pedestrian is going to lose.

Motorways are (rightly) vehicle-only, and any dual carriageways can be similarly pedestrian-free. Anyone walking on one of those roads needs psychiatric help as well as prosecution.

The problem is that many roads cannot be made into exclusive vehicle-only zones: on plenty of urban roads that simply doesn't work. Residential streets are the starkest example: they are criss-crossed all day by children and by adults, and
short of putting in a crossing point every few yards, there is no way of entirely separating pedestrians and vehicles. These areas are effectively shared space.

You're right to say that pedestrians need to exercise common sense (as do all road users), but at the moment the emphasis is overwhelming on the pedestrian.

In that shared space, cars win every time in a collision, so cars tend to predominate. Plenty of those roads can only be crossed by walking out in front of the traffic, and hoping that it will stop, but the highway code tells the pedestrian not to do that: "If traffic is coming, let it pass".

That sort of priority to vehicles shifts the responsibility onto the most vulnerable road-user, which is why I would argue the rules need to be rebalanced to recognise that these streets are shared space.

But I suspect that many backroomers might not accept the notion of shared space, and that's where this discusion gets heated, with each side accusing t'other of being illogical.
Bullbars - No Do$h
Oh heck. A post from No Wheels that I agree with. Err..... nope, can't argue with it.

Damn, I'm losing my edge.
Bullbars - Hugo {P}
"You're right to say that pedestrians need to exercise common sense (as do all road users), but at the moment the emphasis is overwhelming on the pedestrian."

No, I don't think the emphasis is overwelming on the pedestrian as opposed to the car driver.

As drivers we are all taught during the many lessons we have had to pay particular attention where pedestrians may be such as schools, old peoples' homes, city centres etc. Indeed there is usually a run of TV commercials about speed in built up areas. Does the one about a car going at 35mph hitting a child ring any bells?

I agree that the pedestrian is most at risk (who wouldn't?) and it's in his or her interests to keep a sharp look out for drivers not paying attention. However, whilst learing, drivers are taught and encouraged to keep a sharp look out for jay walkers whereever they may appear from, even in places they are least expected. In addition, parking near pedestrian areas is strictly controlled (Zig zag lines near crossings etc). The IAM driving ethos is to keep looking ahead and predicting any potential hazards that may arise. Am I right that there is now, as part of the test hazard recognition testing via CD Rom?

H
Bullbars - cheddar
>>a bit like saying: .. we won't put railings on the
new bridge across the 500ft gorge, afterall if anyone walks to
close to the edge and falls off it is their fault,
not ours ...
Not really, because what tends to happen all too often in
this country is that efforts are made to stop *everybody* using
the bridge.

Exactly my point, if we build bridges without railings, the legislators will stop us using them. Likewise if we build cars with Bullbars, or steel spikes sticking out of the front, red hot ehaust running along the side, etc etc the legislators will stop us using them.
Bullbars - nortones2
Drivers (with a licence anyway) are only a part of the population. Many pedestrians are too young, too old, or have other reasons why they can't or don't drive. How many of the pedestrians seriously injured or killed were of the segment unable to drive, and possibly impaired, if only by lack of experience? How many were fully compus mentis? Not a lot of sympathy for those impaired by drink or illegal drugs BTW, in either camp! However, frequently there are no pedestrian-priority crossings, so its not a simple matter of "roads for the driver" "pavements for the walker". Drivers can get frustrated and become rash: so can everyone else thwarted in their journey. In more gentle days steam gave way to sail.
Bullbars - Humpy
Surely "evidence of absence" is akin to proving a negative whcih is impossible??
No bull(bars) in Spain ! - Bilboman
In Spain, where I have been living and driving since 1990, if you fit even so much as a pair of front foglights to the car, (a) the job must be carried out by a registered garage and (b) the owner has to present the car for a new MOT, presenting all the documentation from the job done.The same goes for virtually any after market accessory, from rear seat belts to exhausts, lights, darkened windows, the lot. Hence very little in the way of Chav-like attachments to the cast majority of cars here!

In the 1990s the then fashionable Wood and Pickett - type "nudge bars" (think customised Minis: puny forerunners to bull bars and seen as essential to protect cars from the excesses of "nudge" parking so common here) were banned and all cars stil having them had them stripped off in time for the next MOT, and end of story. Seat belt limiter clips, yellow headlamps, out they all went.

My solution for cars on British roads? Rigorously enforce Constructions and Use regulations and make anything remotely "structural" part of the MOT test. Massive fines, bans, impounding of vehicles, whatever it takes, for unauthorised modifications. Allow bull bars to be properly fitted, but ban their use on all public roads with a speed limit of >20 mph. Easy.

No bull(bars) in Spain ! - patently
if you fit even so much as a pair of front
foglights to the car, ...(b) the owner has to present
the car for a new MOT

Now that IS a good idea.
Bullbars - BrianW
Being hit by the flat front of a bus isn't good for your health either!
There are far more buses in town than cars with bull bars.
Bullbars - machika
This analogy has been used in the defence of bullbars and 4x4s before, but is really doesn't hold water. Buses are vehicles which are designed to maximise internal space and minimise the amount of space they occupy on the road, so will inevitably be very box like in appearance. The same principle applies to lorry design. Buses are also unlikely to be carrying just the driver on many occasions, unlike many 4x4s, so are a much more efficient means of transporting people.

As for the fact that there a far more buses in towns, that is the purpose of public transport isn't it?
Bullbars - IanJohnson
The bus analogt ddoes not work, the problem with bull bars is that they are generally very rigid and do not deform when they hit a pedestrian.

Buses and cars are now designed to be softer and more forgiving when they hit a pedestrian - hard spots under bonnets minimised etc. The majority of a bus front is not very rigid so is fairly forgiving when it hits a pedestrian.

If you fit a bull bar you are deliberately fitting a styling accessory which will cause greater injury in a collision with a pedestrian, or indeed another vehicle - this should not be allowed and arguing that it may be the other person/pedestrian's fault does not get around the fact that their injuries would (in all probability) have been less than if the bull bar had not been there.

How soon before a pedestrian takes a 4x4 driver's insurer to the cleaners over this?
Bullbars - BrianW
I am not trying to defend bull bars, just pointing out that there is a world of difference between being hit by a car with the initial impact a leg height, and being hit by bull bars, a bus or a lorry where your head hits a vertical surface and if thrown off it's likely to be forward and under the wheels rather than off or over the bonnet.
Bullbars - GrahamF1
I'd always thought that the major danger from bullbars was of one's arm being caught in them when the 4x4 hits you - your body is tossed away 'rag doll' fashion but the arm stays entwined in the front of the vehicle.
Bullbars - patently
Thanks, GrahamF1. I was just eating my lunch!
Bullbars - keo-the-dog
cant see any great difference my isuzu trooper has bullbars fitted and even without them if i hit a pedestrian at 30mph or more i think the impact would be fatal i honestly dont think the bull bars add or detract from that scenario , the isuzu is such a large flat fronted vehicle . same with my van renault master T35 d its huge and would almost certainly kill on impact at 30mph or more and it hasn't got bull bars . my newer 2000 mondeo on the other hand looks all softy in comparisson but i still wouldn't fancy being on the receiving end of a 30mph or more impact ....chilling thought...cheers...keo.
Bullbars - machika
The impact might be fatal, or it might not, how would one know? The probability is that the bull bars would make the injuries worse. Have we all not got a responsibility to try to reduce the number of deaths from traffic accidents, rather than attach something to vehicles which will probably make matters worse?
Bullbars - cheddar
The impact might be fatal, or it might not, how would
one know? The probability is that the bull bars would
make the injuries worse. Have we all not got a
responsibility to try to reduce the number of deaths from traffic
accidents, rather than attach something to vehicles which will probably make
matters worse?

Agreed 100%
Bullbars - keo-the-dog
was on there from new and is atually set furter back than bumper only purpose i can see it serves is as a parking aid , you can judge the extremities of the vehicle a little better as it sits slightly higher than the body work it also isn't 3inch diameter and is further protected by two large overriders which are part of the front bumper it also doesn't get much use on road which is one of the reasons i have left it on
Bullbars - machika
Why not remove it? The fact that it is set back further than the bumper doesn't mean it wouldn't come into contact with a pedestrian's body, in the event of an accident.

On the subject of buses, my brother's sister was involved in an accident with a bus, whilst driving the family Volvo V40. The bus hit the car on the drivers door and the front end of the bus sustained more damage than the car, according to my brother. It must have had a very forgiveable front end.
Bullbars - Civic8
More than surprised by the comments here. proof or not?. it wont take an rocket scientist. To work out Bull bars are lethal. They are solid.No give..Even if they did. Shock to body would cause trauma..bear in mind deflection of person hitting bull bars would throw them away from vehicle.causing death by possible hitting the kerb.I think then death would be caused by accident.Ie not down to driver.Which is where it all goes wrong?
--
Steve
Bullbars - THe Growler
I dunno. I keep reading this stuff whenever it surfaces and I can't get away from the fact pedestrians belong on the sidewalk or designated crossings and they, not the motorist, are responsible for their well-being. It isn't up to me or car designers to take ownership of what might happen to them if they don't.

If you take the argument to its logical conclusion, all motor vehicles should be banned in case they cause injury to anyone/thing. What you're effectively saying is a vehicle without bullbars is slightly less dangerous than one with, and that makes everything OK. Why stop there? Maybe the man with the red flag may yet enjoy a resurrection.

Lot of PC horsefeathers if you ask me.
Bullbars - Civic8
Growler..Agreed.My reference was to bull bars.Not what pedestrians do on sidewalk..If you look at damage that would occur to a person that has decided to run across the road.In front off a motor with bull bars..damage may be fatal..I didnt mention any motor should be banned..Strange as it may seem. Many a child. Here anyway..seem to play chicken..Drivers have enough to worry about here.any person trying to cross the road.is a nightmare..In truth bull bars are not needed in town..they are dangerous will kill and should be banned in town..Dont care what they do in a forest..
--
Steve
Bullbars - cheddar
>>Lot of PC horsefeathers if you ask me.>>

So an eight foot steel spike sticking out front would be ok then?
Bullbars - Malcolm_L
Growler,
having hit a pedestrian through no fault of my own, the fact they weren't seriously injured didn't make me feel any less responsible (even though it wasn't my fault).

So please don't tell me you wouldn't lose a minutes sleep if you killed a child, it's not PC horsefeathers as you describe it.
Pedestrians and cars don't mix - now they've achieved a high standard of driver/passenger safety for cars, legislation is now forcing manufacturers to take ownership of the problem.

www.cardesignonline.com/safety/pedestrian-safety.p...p
Bullbars - machika
Pavements and crossings can only be used if they are there. There are thousands of miles of roads, which are not motorways or dual carriageways, that have no pavements or crossings for pedestrians. Accidents will happen (and it is not always the fault of the pedestrian), and it makes sense to try to reduce the severity of the injuries, which will be incurred by pedestrians, when they do.
Bullbars - Number_Cruncher
I apologise if this point has been made more eloquently above, but here's my 2p worth.

As an example, consider the archetypal case where a child runs out into the road without looking. I think that it is quite random whether there is;

no traffic,
a bicycle,
a motorbike,
a car,
a van,
a four wheel drive without a bullbar,
a four wheel drive with a bullbar,
a bus,
or a truck coming along.

Obviously, there are some locations, like outside a bus depot where the distribution is skewed somewhat.

It seems to me that trying to change the population density of each kind of traffic may not be the most effective action to prevent this kind of accident. Measures taken to stop the child running out in the first place would seem to me to be more efficient and appropriate.

While there are other kinds of pedestrian accidents to consider, I do think that keeping pedestrians off the road wherever possible is a good idea.

number_cruncher
Bullbars - THe Growler
>>>>>Measures taken to stop the child running out in the first place would seem to me to be more efficient and appropriate.

Exactly.

Bullbars - Bagpuss
While there are other kinds of pedestrian accidents to consider, I do think that
keeping pedestrians off the road wherever possible is a good idea.

...and preventing an ever increasing number of SUV owners taking advantage of the additional ground clearance their vehicle possesses to get around traffic jams by driving on the pavement. I've even seen people doing this around schools.
Bullbars - THe Growler
I knew it I knew it, this thread was really a Trojan Horse for the I-Don't-Like-'Em-So-Why-Should-You-Have-One-SUV-Action Front!

Been here, done this, signing off on the matter.

Time out on this topic moddies please!

Hope I've left enough space outside for Santa's Landcruiser tonight. Heard he had some emission problems with the old configuration of 8 reindeer and the Min of Trans made him modernise :+)

Bullbars - Malcolm_L
Measures taken to stop the child running out in the first place would seem to me to be more efficient and appropriate.<-i>

Just as well car designers didn't think "measures taken to stop cars hitting each other would be more efficient and appropriate" than making cars as safe as they are now.
Bullbars - Number_Cruncher
I think that the provision of motorways has indeed gone a long way towards reducing the number of times cars hit each other.

number_cruncher
Bullbars - keo-the-dog
in reply to steve.o i am not suggesting that bullbars are not dangerous just trying to point out that my isuzu in my opinion is probably equally as dangerous (to pedestrians anyway) without them it's a 1991 model built like a tank with the aerodynamics of a breeze block likewise my van renault master t35d big ugly and heavy . the reason i leave the bars on is they have built in light gaurds and the vehicle is mainly used offroad and it protects the lights from getting hit in the places where i use it and its usefull for pushing other 4x4 vehicles with (offroad stuff).cheers ...keo
Bullbars - Civic8
Keo..dont recall answering your post..as I think I mentioned.what you do offroad I realy dont care..What you do on road is another matter..My suggestion did not refer to you..And to make it clear..I have no objections to 4x4`s.suv`s or any other type of motor.Point I was making. Is their is no need for Bull bars in town.. Bull bars will kill.No one can say any different.As far as I`m concerned they are a no no full stop
--
Steve
Bullbars - keo-the-dog
no problem steve.o as i say i keep it on as i find it usefull for my main use of the vehicle which is offroad but i honestly think the vehicle would be just as dangerous without the bar i think modern design is changing the safety aspect of such vehicles as well as normal cars i personally feel that it's not the bullbars that are the problem it's the fashion statement of people driving 4x4's with bullbars winches etc that dont need them . and i am not anti anything i just dont see the point of buying a big 4x4 for the school run or towing the caravan once a year different if you are making use of it. i know that if i hit someone while driving it i am going to do a lot of damage but and this is my point i feel if the same thing were to happen and i was in my van i would do as much if not more damage my van is not particularly pedestrian friendly either... not so much a rant for or against , merely an observation that there are a lot of vehicles out there which are not best suited to where they are being used (from a pedestrians safety point of view, and i know they should beon the pavement etc)..cheers ...keo