What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A4 or Ford Mondeo - carl233
Hi,

At present I have a Ford Mondeo that has been a superb car but I have recently been considering selling this and buying an Audi A4(the older shape). I am put off by reports of the 1.8 snapping timing belts at only 80k and I am concerned about general engine durability. One benefit of the Mondeo is that the Zetec-E engine is very durable and capable of huge mileages. The Mondeo which is a 97 mk2 is especially let down when it comes to bodywork it already has bits of rust on the lower bodywork edges etc.

I am looking for a galvanised body and ‘rock solid’ durability and don’t want any rust issues whatsoever. Is the Audi able to deliver this? Do the general running costs and extra parts costs make it a bad option? I am only looking to spend between £2,000 and £4,000 is the A4 a worthwhile consideration in this price range.

Any opinions or prior experiences would be much appreciated.
Audi A4 or Ford Mondeo - adverse camber
A4 - While I might carp about the ones we have, the quality is OK really. I wouldnt run any car past 60K miles without a timing belt / tensioner change. The tdi's are excellent engines and go forever, Im about to sell a 97/R tdi with 140K on it does 50mpg, I know several with 200K+ on them.

See the topic a couple of days ago headed Audi A4 for a list of things that might go wrong - but remember that for that money you are dealing with 7/8 year old cars. In general you should only have bodywork probs if they have been scraped.
Audi A4 or Ford Mondeo - MichaelR
I would not consider this to be a worthwhile change - perhaps a newer, better specified Mondeo for the same money as an old A4 might be worth looking into.

The Mk2 Mondeo is not noted for poor engine durability or premature cambelt faliure, nor rust - if yours exhibits either it would suggest there is something wrong with it, perhaps it has not been properly looked after by its previous owner.

Mine is now on 120k with no signs of rust.

For the money you would spend on an 8 year medium spec A4, you could get a 4-5 year old absolute top of the range Mk2 Mondeo. I looked at A4's prior to the purchase of mine, and just couldn't find anything comaparable without spending much more on it. Obviously, comparing a top spec A4 to a top spec Mondeo of the same age the A4 wins, but same price? Mondeo, thanks.