S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - tack
Pulling out of a side Road onto the Eastern Avenue at Newbury Park (Nr the Avenue Pub) I saw an empty dual carriageway to my right, but the s*** C***** about 250 yards away flashed although no car passed by. Do they self test? Could it have been the Ghost of Ernies Fastest Milk Cart in the West?
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - Adam {P}
They don't self test but anything can set them off - even birds. Not the most reliable things.
--
Adam
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - tack
....anyone ever try to use that as an excuse? "M'lud....t'was the lesser eared ding winged bent billed Widgeon in front of my car"
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - Altea Ego
If its on the photograph, that defence could well work.
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - L'escargot

It would only work if the component of the bird's speed in the direction of travel of the traffic was greater than that allowed!
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - holly1
On the subject of s*** c****** .... I am sure I read somewhere that they could not fine/issue points if you are caught over the limit through a temporary speed restriction such as roadworks, but one of the guys were I work has received a summons for doing over the limit through a set of roadworks
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - Altea Ego
Not sure where you got that one from, but providing it has the correct signs, and the correct procedures followed to get a temporary speed limit in place then its a speeding offence like any other with the same penalties.
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - Andy B

So, there it is then, towing a stuffed sparrowhawk on a fine line will see you away for up to 200 mph (in a dive). Should be enough for most drivers.

Andy
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - Keith S
Sorry if this is a rant or whatever, but after working on a motorway with only a few cones between me and the traffic I would suggest that anyone who speeds through roadworks with a temporary speed restriction deserves all they get.

I would have thought it perfectly enforcable, considering most roadworks have one of those boards with the number of people nicked during the temporary traffic management.
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - cockle {P}
Keith S, I'll back your rant up 100%, and add my own!

As someone else who has spent time working at the roadside I'll reiterate what an uncomfortable and perilous place it is.

The temporary speed limits are there for a very good reason; so that people like Keith and myself and many others can go home safely to our families at the end of a shift. That is not being over dramatic, the slipstream effect from a speeding car, or worse an HGV, is positively frightening and can really be life threatening in certain situations.

If the individual concerned feels that his/her extra couple of minutes saved is so important then I hope you won't mind me saying that I regard my life important enough to wish that he racks up the required 12 points for a ban as quickly as possible. Personally I would like to see speeding through temporary restrictions put in place for the protection of the workforce can a penalty of an immediate one month ban, that is how strongly I feel about it. After all there are plenty of signs warning of the reasons for the restriction and the fact that cameras are present, if they are not noticed then what else is that driver not noticing? If someone still speeds through then I must assume that they really do not care about my safety and any grief they could cause my wife and children, so please don't expect sympathy from this quarter.

To all those who do slow down and give road workers a wide berth, thank you, it really is appreciated.

Cockle
S*** C***** - Erroneous Flash? - MarkSmith
I believe they take two photographs, at a set interval, and the lines on the road are used to calculate the speed. It's this speed that determines whether you're prosecuted, not the one detected to make the camera flash in the first place.

So it can misfire all it likes, if you're going under the speed limit it'll just be wasting film because you won't have gone far enough between photographs.

No loophole there as far as I can see.

-Mark