What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mondeo brake problems - wittsend
My Mondeo estate (`94 2 litre petrol) failed its M.O.T because the rear passenger side brake pulls up twice as hard as the other 3. Shoes and flexi-pipes changed, drums swapped, cylinders in good working order and of same bore, everything stripped, cleaned, greased where appropriate, entire system blead out and new fluid put in, but the result`s from 2 different test centres show no change.......does anyone know anything about the compensator valves on the master cylinder? and which one-if either-might be responsible?
The sound of heads being scratched - wittsend
My Mondeo estate (`94 2 litre petrol) failed its M.O.T because the rear passenger side brake pulls up twice as hard as the other 3. Shoes and flexi-pipes changed, drums swapped, cylinders in good working order and of same bore, everything stripped, cleaned, greased where appropriate, entire system blead out and new fluid put in, but the result`s from 2 different test centres show no change.......does anyone know anything about the compensator valves on the master cylinder? and which one-if either-might be responsible?
Mondeo brake problems - kithmo
According to the Haynes manual, the front one is for the primary circuit, which is right front and left rear brakes and they are different sizes so not interchangeable.
Mondeo brake problems - wittsend
Kith.....when you say "the front one" which do you mean? Also, does "rear left" mean passenger rear? as this is relative to where you are looking from......thanks.
Mondeo brake problems - kithmo
Kith.....when you say "the front one" which do you mean? Also,
does "rear left" mean passenger rear? as this is relative to
where you are looking from......thanks.

Seeing as how you were talking about the passenger side rear brake being faulty in your post, it would be prudent to assume that I was referring to that one as being the left rear. When I said the "front one" I meant the valve nearest to the front of the car or nearest to you, when you are looking at it, under the bonnet, from the front of the car, .
Mondeo brake problems - Civic8
As a matter of interest..Have the rear drum brakes been adjusted properly..It has in the past been known that one side has been adjusted. the other not. in some cases one side adjusted too much.Depending on wear to drums..will decide how easy the drum is taken off.Only other thing I can think of wear on master cylinder.Not certain of mondeo.and may well be wrong.so just a thought?
--
Steve
Mondeo brake problems - Number_Cruncher
Hi,

How did the handbrake perform during the MOT?

If the handbrake was balanced, side to side, then you don't need to worry about drums. Shoe adjustment, as mentioned by Steve, has to be correct, for correct footbrake operation.

If you find that you are looking for a hydraulic fault, I would ask; is there a load sensing valve on this car? If so, you need to find out how to check it. These valve are prone to seizing up, so you may be getting full pressure on one side, as if the car were fully loaded.

number_cruncher