What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The good, the bad and the unreliable - carl_a
Latest reliability survey is on whatcars web site:

www.whatcar.co.uk/News_SpecialReport.asp?NA_ID=212...6

The French cars didn't do well but the Asians did (now there?s a surprise).
The good, the bad and the unreliable - Stuartli
No, it's not a surprise at all...:-))
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
The good, the bad and the unreliable - cheddar
Not sure how much can be taken from this, it differs a lot from other reports and seems to include warranties offered by independants on 2nd hand older cars. I.e. Jaguar do not do well, is this because of warranties sold with 1990 XJ6's with 200k on the clock. Please correct me if I am wrong.
The good, the bad and the unreliable - PhilW
"The French cars didn't do well but the Asians did (now there?s a surprise"

Quote:-
Citroen is another make seeing a big improvement this year. The company?s overall result was dragged down by older models such as the AX and XM, whereas newer models like the Saxo and Xsara saw much better results. Further good news is the fact that the company came second only to Ford for the cheapest repair costs

After Daewoo, Peugeot is the most improved make in this survey, jumping up seven places from last year?s 22nd place. There?s further good news in the fact that only five makes had lower average repair costs.

Citroen ave repair costs £230
Peugeot ave repair costs £246
Mitsubishi £510
Nissan £363
Subaru £994
Toyota £431

The good, the bad and the unreliable - madf
Exactly Phil
And as the Subaru thread elsewhere commented, Subaru repair costs!

Totally unacceptable.. no wonder second hand values of most models fall..

madf

The good, the bad and the unreliable - Aprilia
Strangely enough last week I was offered an Imprezza with a cracked cylinder head (not unknown apparently). Had to turn it down because I couldn't locate a s/hand head. New head is about £1500 (there are two, remember...) and the gasket set another £300. Ouch! Car was only worth £4k privately at most - so not worth all the bother.
The good, the bad and the unreliable - nick
If you take out Imprezas from the equation, Subaru reliability is even more impressive. Imprezas are an out-and-out sports car and most are driven very hard and I would expect many are driven by people with little mechanical sympathy, hence the relatively high number of problems (although still low in absolute numbers) with drive shafts, gearboxes and engines. So when comparing makes, compare like with like. Have another look at the Warranty Direct survey and look at what models cause the problems. Imprezas are very reliable, but no car will take being driven by a chav on speed indefinitely.
Parts prices are expensive though, but coming down, mainly to get lower insurance groupings.
The good, the bad and the unreliable - carl_a
Citroen ave repair costs £230
Peugeot ave repair costs £246
Mitsubishi £510
Nissan £363
Subaru £994
Toyota £431

Citroen repair costs may be low but acording to the survey they are needed twice as often and the car's aren't as old either.