What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
3rd age Rental - T.G.Webb
I've another 7 years to go but I'm told that it isn't possible to rent a car when you exceed 70 years of age, no matter what the location.
Is this true, if so are there companies which can oblige? If it is true it surely could be challenged as discriminatory - Human Rights and so forth.
Re: 3rd age Rental - Dan J
You're right, it is discriminatory but no more than it is for people under 23/25 (depending on rental company). The long, tall and short of it is that insurance expenditure for these companies is astronomical and insurance is organised on the condition noone under and over a certain age may drive the car, such that the rental company manages to reduce costs somewhat whilst still retaining 98% of it's market. It is an unfortunate fact that insurance is dearer for those under 25 and over 70 and this is taken into account when profits are looked at by the rentals.

There is no reason though, why you couldn't pay a small premium to hire the car over what you'd pay normally - I am sure Vauxhall operate this system on their hire cars.

Dan
Re: 3rd age Rental - John Kenyon
Dan J wrote:
>
> You're right, it is discriminatory but no more than it is for
> people under 23/25 (depending on rental company). The long,
> tall and short of it is that insurance expenditure for these
> companies is astronomical and insurance is organised on the
> condition noone under and over a certain age may drive the
> car, such that the rental company manages to reduce costs
> somewhat whilst still retaining 98% of it's market. It is an
> unfortunate fact that insurance is dearer for those under 25
> and over 70 and this is taken into account when profits are
> looked at by the rentals.

Most major car hire companies underwrite themselves.

>
> There is no reason though, why you couldn't pay a small
> premium to hire the car over what you'd pay normally - I am
> sure Vauxhall operate this system on their hire cars.

Or arrange your own insurance...

/john