Mercedes-Benz E320 Coupé: new exhaust - Roger Jones
The exhaust system (centre and rear boxes) on my E320 Coupé needs replacing before the end of the year, so I've been shopping around. Here's what I've come up with; all include VAT and delivery (zero for the two local sources) and all but the LongLife option do not include fitting:

Euro Car Parts
OEM HJS/Ernst ("Ernst is more likely", they said) £258.18

German-French-Swedish
OEM Centre box Ernst/rear box Ernst or Walker £216.20

MB dealer (who also mentioned a fitting kit at about £20, not included)
MB £389.31

DB Depot (Germany)
OEM Eberspächer £360.00

LongLife stainless steel
Custom built £386.10 after discount and including fitting

I'd be interested in views on these options. I would normally be strongly tempted to go for the pure MB option, but the price range is so great that the others must be worth considering. I am intrigued that no less than four companies are claimed to be OEM by the suppliers.

Having just had my Capri done at LongLife, I am very tempted to go back to them (they have offered a 10% discount), but am slightly concerned about the potential noise problem that SS always presents and, as ever, I wonder whether systems that differ from the exact configuration of the original (internal and external) are likely to have any long-term negative effects on the engine.

Which would you go for, and why? I'm particularly interested in any insights into quality of the various makes and in comments on the configuration factor. I do intend to keep the car for a long time.
Mercedes-Benz E320 Coupé: new exhaust - Aprilia
I have fitted a good number of exhausts on to MB's and have always used Ernst or Eberspaecher without any problems or 'come-backs'. I believe both of these companies are OEM suppliers to MB - although the OEM-spec might be different to the 'aftermarket' spec. I would avoid Walkers.

Make sure you also buy the fitting kit (£12-15 usually) which will include new bolts, sealing rings and rubber hangers. On most MB's there is also a downpipe bracket on the gearbox (not sure about your model) - the nuts on that can sieze. I normally buy a new bracket kit from the dealer (not expensive) and use an angle grinder to slice the nuts off the old one.

Use a good smear of copper grease on the bolts when reassembling - will make the next replacement so much easier!
Mercedes-Benz E320 Coupé: new exhaust - henry k
( the nuts on that can sieze. I normally buy a new bracket kit from the
dealer (not expensive) and use an angle grinder to slice the
nuts off the old one.
Use a good smear of copper grease on the bolts when
reassembling - will make the next replacement so much easier!

>>
IIRC It used to be practice to use brass nuts to avoid any sieze ups. Is it frowned on now?
Mercedes-Benz E320 Coupé: new exhaust - Aprilia
>> ( the nuts on that can sieze. I normally
buy a new bracket kit from the
>> dealer (not expensive) and use an angle grinder to slice
the
>> nuts off the old one.
>>
>> Use a good smear of copper grease on the bolts
when
>> reassembling - will make the next replacement so much easier!
>>
IIRC It used to be practice to use brass nuts to
avoid any sieze ups. Is it frowned on now?

On some of the Merc systems the nuts are captive (depending upon which component you're talking about). The bolts that come with the fitting kit are passivated in some way, but I still use copper grease.
Mercedes-Benz E320 Coupé: new exhaust - MW
Fitted a Europarts Ernst centre and back box to my 1992 230E about 3 years ago. The quality is very good. Very heavy and solid. It still looks very good. As the pipe enters the back box they have welded an extra V bracket on to strengthen the joint, Mercedes didn't do this on the original! I would agree to spend the extra on a fitting kit as it may include the sealing rings that fit inside the connecting joints. New hanging rubbers also help. Also I always use copper grease on threads.
Mercedes-Benz E320 Coupé: new exhaust - SjB {P}
Eberspächer are one of my customers, and on a trip around one of their plants, I was impressed both with their attention to building-in quality, and apparently achieving it.

The best quality after market exhaust I have ever used however was made my SS exhausts of Cullompton, Devon. Stainless steel as the name implies, and with superb workmanship, even after many years of use it functioned as new, and gave a nice 'ring' if you hit it with a spanner.

Being stainless steel, it was, as you also write about, fractionally noisier than the OE item, but in my case only under full bore acceleration. To be fair though, it did sound nicer than the original item, and in the cruise there was no obvious difference.