What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fusion Durashift - Servelan
I do not get the chance to post very often but I do read most days if I can. I am thingking about a Ford Fusion Durashift, I have read the CBC Breakdown, but does anyone have any experience of these? Is the gearbox troublesome like earlier Ford autos? Has anyone got a Fusion, I would appreciate your comments. This would be a company car, we have a limited choice and the Fusion appeals.

Many thanks, Servelan
Fusion Durashift - Dan J
The semi-auto or the full auto?
Fusion Durashift - Servelan
The semi auto with the 1.4 engine.
Fusion Durashift - Blue {P}
I drive a fusion as my company car and haven't got any complaints, it handles well for a car of it's size and height and it's plenty spacious.

At all costs avoid the Fusion 1 model if you can, it is far too basic, I've got a Fusion 2 and it's got stacks more eqipment on it.

If you have any questions then post them and I'll answer when I can...

Blue
Fusion Durashift - Dan J
Not hearing any problems along the grapevine or from warranty claims. A first as far as small Ford autos are concerned...

If performance even figures on your list of nice to haves I'd test drive one before making your mind up, you'll not be setting any roads on fire with this car.

Other than that, agree with what Blue says - the Fusion 1 is very stripped to get a low entry price, there is a lot more equipment on the 2 so if you can, aim for that one.
Fusion Durashift - IanT
I've got a Fusion 2 Diesel, so can't help with your Durashift. I'm not setting any roads on fire with mine either, but it depends on your priorities - it doesn't figure in mine.

Its plus points are:
100% reliable (from a sample size of one).
Very cheap to run (59 MPG averaged over the last six months, and cheap road tax).
Right price range for my pocket.
Exactly the toys I want and no more.
Tons of leg room for my oldie passengers.
Enough room in the boot (just) for two collapsible wheelchairs.
Tight turning circle.
Nice light smooth gearchange.
Estate car versatility.
No alloy wheels.
Ford dealer within walking distance of home (one visit so far for its £99 first year service).
I also like its high seating position and its chunky, practical shape.

Its failings (remembering it's just a Fiesta in a pumped-up body) are:
Crashing over speed bumps and pot holes (number 1 fault!).
The front seats have little side support.
Too high gearing in second gear (can't cruise round car parks in second).
Its narrow body means three adults in the back have to be very good friends (though two adults can be quite comfortable).
The second fold of the rear seats is very stiff (they are double-hinged to make them lie flat).

The professional reviewers have complained a lot about the trim quality, but it seems fine to me.

The latest 2004 model year has had ABS added as standard, but deleted the centre rear seat head restraint (penny pinching).

I'll just add it's got Ford's wonderful heated front windscreen. This alone was enough to make me choose a Ford again, some 13 years after swearing I would never have another.

Ian