What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Tucker Torpedo - J Bonington Jagworth
The Hollywood film about this and its creator, Preston Tucker (played by Jeff Bridges) was on ITV this afternoon, and entertained me and the other B-J's. The sabotage of his enterprise by Detroit was all too believable - does anyone know how accurate the film was?

I certainly remember reading about Ford's later difficulties in introducing the same sort of safety measures (such as seat belts and padded dashboards), because the other manufacturers a) thought it was an unfair advantage, and b) felt that it implied that you might have an accident!
Tucker Torpedo - hxj

It was mainly typical Hollywoood puff. A modern day fairy tale.

Despite claims that the car was revolutionary I haven't seen many three headlighted, rear engined cars with pop out windscreens recently.

And the cars didn't have seat belts fitted either.

He had a vision and went for it, but like many simply didn't realise that it takes more than a vision to create a new name.

The major car makers in the US had probably not even heard of him, he was that small and insignificant.
Tucker Torpedo - THe Growler
I have seen the movie, also Disco Channel showed (a probably more accurate) feature on Tucker a few years back. A fascinating "Only in America" story of irrepressible optimism and entrepreneurship. The fact the venture was doomed adds to the fascination somehow.

I put Tucker alongside Raymond Loewy who designed the lovely futuristic Studebaker Starliner post WW2, when all else America had to choose from was cosmetically updated pre-war offerings from the Big 3, then designed the gorgeous little Studebaker Champion before ending a flamboyant career with the Avanti. Always way ahead of his time.