What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Owners Manual Howlers - Turbodog
Hi All

Reading through my MX 5's owners manual tonight it's absolutely FULL of "CAUTION!" and "WARNING!" boxes with classics like;

"Do not attempt to install the hardtop with the convertible top also up."

"Standing in the vehicle...when it's moving is a dangerous way to ride. Sit in the seat...when the vehicle is moving"

"Closing power windows are dangerous. A person's hands, head, or even neck could be caught by the window..."

"Using a cup holder to hold hot liquids while the vehicle is moving is dangerous. If the contents spill you could be scalded..."

etc etc

Is it just Mazda trying to cover themselves...?
Owners Manual Howlers - patently
Is it just Mazda trying to cover themselves...?

Yes.
Owners Manual Howlers - THe Growler
What you are reading is less Mazda being daft than a response to that creeping cancer, the Compensation Culture engendered by the Nanny State's having eroded much of the concept of individual responsibility.
Owners Manual Howlers - somebody
I recently rented a moving van in the US, and there were so many 'WARNING!' stickers in the cab (WARNING! Keep children away from door latches! WARNING! Ride only in cab! WARNING! Possible blind spot - check behind before reversing! WARNING! etc.) that I could barely see through the windshield.
Owners Manual Howlers - patently
You can't realy blame Mazda, or the hire company.

They will be getting advice that, without these warnings, someone who hurts themselves through their own stupidity might sue. Even if they fought and won they would lose out big time. Best to put the silly warnings in, on balance.

Same rationale as the 'no naming & shaming' policy here - seems silly, until you think about it.
Owners Manual Howlers - David Horn
"WARNING: Do not attempt to adjust steering wheel while driving"

Owners Manual Howlers - SjB {P}
WARNING: Don't have kids, because they'll die one day.