condensation inside of headlights covers - a3person
Hi, I am in the process of buying a used A3 (1.8 T, 2001) from approved Audi dealer. When doing the check around the car, I noticed there was condensation on the inside of the clear plastic sheet part that covers the headlights. This was only on the right hand light, the other one was fine. The guy at the dealer said this was normal as the car hadn\'t been used for a while and that it would go away after normal use. (He also said that if there was any probs to take it back under the 12 mth warranty. ) Is he right or should I be worried about this condensation? I thought it would be watertight around there. Also, do you reckon this will be covered under warranty??
condensation on inside of headlights cov - patently
I'd worry. There is a leak somewhere. And where will the water go from there?
condensation on inside of headlights cov - JH1
I too have this problem but with one of the rear light clusters on the back of my MK2 golf. I also thought that they are supposed to be sealed units and cant find where the water vapour is getting in.. it hasent caused any probs yet, but i would be keen to hear what the more experienced people on here have to say about it...

On the warranty side of things, it should be covered, but think about how easy it would be for you to take it in and manage without the car whilst it is being fixed. Most people dont make use of their warranty as its usually a lot of hassle and if the car runs ok apart from this, will just live with it. J
condensation on inside of headlights cov - bazza
<<<
!!! That is so typical of the shoddy dealer attitude that gives them a bad name! Of course it is not normal! If it was, then all cars would have condensation inside the headlights! Seriously you should ensure the unit is replaced (not fixed with bathroom sealant by the way!) before you hand over dosh. They won't want to know once you've paid. Sorry to be cynical but have had a lot of experience of dealers over the years...!
condensation on inside of headlights cov - AngryJonny
Headlights should not have condensation inside. It's been in a bit of a knock and the seal has been broken. The dealer sounds like a bit of a geezer - don't believe a word he says. Yeah mate, that grinding noise from the gearbox is normal for an A3, they all do it. Cobblers.

As for the warranty - they tend only to cover problems that develop after you buy the car, and will not cover defects with the car as purchased. So it's unlikely it'll be covered.

I'd budget for a new headlight unit if I was buying this car. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but I'd try and negotiate a bit of discount from the dealer.
condensation on inside of headlights cov - Mapmaker
>>As for the warranty - they tend only to cover problems that develop after you buy the car, and will not cover defects with the car as purchased. So it's unlikely it'll be covered.

But it will specifically be covered under SoGA etc. It's definitely a fault present at the date of sale! Make sure you get this in writing from him as a part of the contract you sign. Something like 'ABC motors confirm that if the condensation in the light has not disappeared within 2 weeks of the date of sale, then ABC motors will replace the headlight FOC.' Have this written on the sale sheet/invoice. And make sure it's initialled by both parties, on both copies of the invoice (theirs & yours). Best of all, get him to write it himself.

But as E34kid says, I wouldn't believe a single word the dealer tells me - so whilst the headlight itself isn't a deal breaker, the principle of the matter probably is. Would you buy a used car from this man????
condensation on inside of headlights cov - barney100
Loads of cars out there: reject that one as the condensation dosen't clear of its own accord in my experience.
condensation on inside of headlights cov - J Bonington Jagworth
A friend's newish Saab 95 Estate has the same problem, and it looks awful! It makes me wonder if the currently popular large glass and plastic headlamp assemblies will all go the same way in a few years.
condensation on inside of headlights cov - L'escargot
I had condensation in one of my Focus's headlights. The local dealer acknowledged that there had been a problem with some early models caused by the headlight casing becoming cracked during assembly onto the vehicle. They fitted a new headlight and this cured the problem. The car is now 5 years old.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
condensation on inside of headlights cov - Aprilia
This seems to be quite common on the A3's (and other recent VWs and Audis) and is most likely due to failure of the seal between the polycarbonate lens and the headlamp body (polycarbonate is difficult to bond onto). A 'trade' solution is to get the headlamp unit good and warm for a while (so that all the condensation evaporates and hopefully exits the unit) and then seal around the lens edge with good quality (i.e Dow-Corning) clear silicone sealant. Clean the join area with alcohol or 'spirit wipe' (used in bodyshops) first to remove any contamination.
Alternatively, since it is an Audi dealer, they should be able to sort you out with a new headlamp FOC.
condensation on inside of headlights cov - J Bonington Jagworth
"polycarbonate is difficult to bond onto"

Indeed. And it scratches very easily - not really the ideal material for headlamp lenses!
condensation on inside of headlights cov - henry k
I had condensation in one of my Focus's headlights. The local
dealer acknowledged that there had been a problem with some early
models caused by the headlight casing becoming cracked during assembly onto
the vehicle. They fitted a new headlight and this cured the
problem. The car is now 5 years old.
--

I recall a previous thread on the Focus headlamp problem.
With the car, 99V, out of warranty, I just left the cover off rather than buy a new light unit.
condensation on inside of headlights cov - Dalglish
is the condensation within the lens, or the cosmetic/protective plastic cover?

switching on the headlights for a few minutes will normally clear the water. if it does not, then at your next mot, the condensation may be classed a mot fail due to distortion of the beam.