What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Alternative to Duckhams QXR Oil - Dumb
Engine oil was changed at National Tyres using Duckhams QXR oil 10W-40 on Honda Civic. I couldn't find the same brand/grade from the shops I visited. Any advice or suggestion on alternative for topping up? Thanks, Dump.
Alternative to Duckhams QXR Oil - Cyd
I'm sure I've seen QXR in Halfords.

Any same grade, similar quality oil will be okay for topping up.
Alternative to Duckhams QXR Oil - Sprice
I had the same problem, had the £15 oil and filter change done at national, using QXR. Its an unusual green coloured oil, semi synthetic 10W40 which is absolutely impossible to find in motoring shops (Ive never seen it in Halfords), I found Duckhams Hypergrade only in one small motor factors. Anyway, just use another brand 10W40 semi synthetic such as Halfords own brand, or Comma etc.
go to asda !!!!!!!!!! - xsaradriver
Had the £15 change myself asda sell havoline extra 10/40 semi synth oil so ok to mix the two. Should have got some for top up at the time but forgot to ask for it cos only used 3.5ltrs ad says they use up to 5ltrs so they "owe" me 1.5ltrs ddooohhhhhhhh!!!!!
Alternative to Duckhams QXR Oil - Roberson
A1 motor stores sell QXR but otherwise, matching quality and grade will suffice.
Alternative to Duckhams QXR Oil - blank
Simple - top up with any 10-40 that meets Honda's specs.

Andy
Alternative to Duckhams QXR Oil - mdb
Is this true nowadays? 20 odd years ago I worked for Burmah Castrol and met a Castrol oil chemist on a course. This was in the days when GTX was the best thing since sliced bread. He advised that mixing oils was not a good idea as the additive packages in different brands did not always work well together. His advice (which I have always foolowed) was to use the same brand for topping up as used in the oil change.
Alternative to Duckhams QXR Oil - Roberson
I have heard of this idea too, but different sources say diffrent things. I was under the impression that it was OK to mix similar quality oil of similar 'make-up', i.e. minieral and mineral, synthetic to synthetic. However, was told that it was bad to mix Mineral and fully synthetic etc.

My car handbook says that it is Ok to mix different oils, but others specifcally state that the SAME oil must be used for top up.

I'm no mechanic, so could be totally wrong.