93 2.0l auto radiator top hose pressure - happyvaux
Vx omega 2.0L 16v ecotec-auto box- 95k L-reg

Hi all, lost lots of coolant from radiator top hose last night,where the hose fits onto the rad. The rad is ok & the hose is only 3 months old. It's as if there's too much pressure & that's where it blows. I tested the thermostat 3 months ago & it was fine.(the pan of water test). I've had concerns for a while of a suspect head-gasket,but there's really no power loss nor emulsion nor oil in expansion tank.
Is this also a known symptom of gasket failure?

By the way, is £350 dear for the head job on this car? Seems dear to me.
Thanks, Pete

Edited by Pugugly on 18/03/2008 at 20:15

Vx Omega- Rad top hose pressure - Sooty Tailpipes
Sounds like it could be, there will only be oil/coolant mix up if the leak is between these parts of the head gasket, what you may have is combustion chamber gas to coolant, which is over-pressuring the coolabt system until it finds the weakest point...You could do with having a hydrocarbon test on the coolant to give more evidence.
Vx Omega- Rad top hose pressure - Aprilia
Start engine from cold and feel the top hose - if it pressurises quickly (3 minutes or so, or less) then you have a head gasket problem. Might have bubbles in the header? Have combustion gas test as mentioned above.

£350 sounds cheap for a HG on one of these.
Vx Omega- Rad top hose pressure - SlidingPillar
Don't discount the pressure cap. A stuck blow off valve can happen and it did to me! Caused a leakage from a hose joint. Changed the cap and did nothing to the hose clip.

Old ones can be moved with the fingers but newer ones need a pressure tester to check. Any half way reasonable garage should have one - I have!
Vx Omega- Rad top hose pressure - happyvaux
Can I get hydrocarbon test kit for home, or is it something only a garage would have? (maybe due to the cost of them)

The top hose doesn't pressurise quickly and I'm still using the car. I don't know about the dodgy cap idea, never heard that before. Mine's yellow with 2 small black valve-type things on the underneath.

Pete
Vx Omega- Rad top hose pressure - Sooty Tailpipes
I don't think it will be the cap, these aren't the old metal ones with springs and seals etc.. I have never seen test kits for sale, only at garages who use them.