Ferrari 348 - perleman
Hi All,

I'm seriously tempted by a Ferrari 348. Has anyone had any experience of driving one? I was looking as the (obviously cheaper) Porsche 968, which actually has quite similar performance (apart from top speed obviously -- but who cares that it can only do 150 and not 180!!!)

My question is, in terms of 2 factors - pure driving experience and reliability, how do the 2 compare?

I'd spend £15-17k on a 968 or max £28k on a 348.

My other question is more out of interest - does anyone have any experience of replica ferraris - especially MR2 based ones? I'd love to hear a few points of view.

Ben
Ferrari 348 - Hawesy1982
My next-door-neighbour-but-one has an MR2 based one, my first impression was "Wow there's a Ferrari in their drive!" - Second look brought to my attention the F reg non-private plate stuck on a 'Ferrari' with clearly brand new, modern styling bodywork. On closer inspection you can tell it's not a Ferrari (shorter wheelbase maybe?), but if it wasn't for that plate i wouldn't suspect a thing.

However they do look fantastic, sound authentic and would fool 99.9% of the population if it had a dateless plate on it.
Ferrari 348 - perleman
How would you insure a replica???!!!!
Ferrari 348 - Kuang
How would you insure a replica

Kitcar insurance - can often work out cheaper than the insurance for the donor car :)
Ferrari 348 - Robin Reliant
You wouldn't fool people for very long, though.

When it kept running without breaking down it would soon be obvious it was only a cheap immitation.
Ferrari 348 - patently
As I always say - if you can afford it and you want to, do it. If you don't, you'll sit in your retirement home and cry.

My only experience in a Ferrari was a 355 at Silverstone, between driving a 911 (993 C2) and a Viper. The 355 felt a little touchy - almost as if it a car could be a snob, looking down its nose at me and deigning to make its way round the circuit if that was really what I thought I wanted. Just so long as I ask nicely. No, sorry, below 4,000 rpm I'm really not interested. Your problem not mine. Go find the right gear yourself.

I found the 911 far more interesting and involving - like the little puppy who is eager to please. Where now? OK - great - off we go boss! Which is why I bought one.

The 355 was still absolutely brilliant, though. I just preferred the Porsche's style.

Do join the relevant club and get to see as many as you can. Most owners are dying to show them off.

Best of luck.
Ferrari 348 - Alfafan {P}
My understanding (mostly from magazines - I've never driven one)is that the 348 was a bit of a dog in handling terms. The 355 was a huge improvement.

If it were me I'd go for the 968, it's long been on my wish list. I'd bet the servicing cost are going to be a lot lower too, assuming that's a factor in your decision. You can get a good 968 for less than £18k too.
Ferrari 348 - CM
My understanding (mostly from magazines - I've never driven one)is that
the 348 was a bit of a dog in handling terms.
The 355 was a huge improvement.
If it were me I'd go for the 968, it's long
been on my wish list. I'd bet the servicing cost are
going to be a lot lower too, assuming that's a factor
in your decision. You can get a good 968 for less
than £18k too.

I've no experience with Ferraris but have read many times, like Alfafan, that the 355 is a vast improvement over the 348.

There is a 928 GTS in my street that I have been eyeing up for quite a while now. I think that a 5.4 litre 345 bhp engine might suit me fine. I've also been dreaming about an Esprit S4 for a while as well! Ho-hum...
Ferrari 348 - helicopter
In answer to perleman - my retired brother in law builds replica 355's by putting a kit bodyshell onto imported twin turbo MR2's and you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference from a real one unless you were very into Ferraris.Its a hobby that earns him a bit of money.

He also has a replica Dino that is a real eyecatcher and goes like the proverbial.

He does all the work himself to a very high standard including all the preparation work for a high quality paint job.

The end result is a very good looking car for not a lot of money. If you wish I can put you in touch with him. He has just sold one '355'and bought another MR2 to start again.
Ferrari 348 - patently
Helicopter - What price does he ask, roughly?
Ferrari 348 - helicopter
Patently - He charges £12500 roughly for a basic build on a donor MR2 supplied by the customer.

He does not now supply the donor cars himself.

The basic build includes suply and fit of the body kit , preparation and paint job and badges.

It is a one man operation and therefore it may be a long wait because he does do a proper job, no large gaps in the bodywork or pathetic paint jobs.

I can put those who are genuinely keen on a 355 replica in touch with him.
Ferrari 348 - Sprice
If you do go for a 348, budget for a cambelt replacement or make sure it doesnt need one in the short term as its a very expensive engine out job.
Ferrari 348 - Manatee
Belt?! I thought they were proper cars?
Ferrari 348 - Shaz {p}
I think that the 968 is hard to beat in terms of both reliability and handling. Ok the 348 is ultimatly quicker, nicer sound - but handling let it down - the Nsx was better.

I would try for a 968 Sport (not the club sport (no toys!)), readily available parts, reliable - and the engine wont need rebuilding every year!!

Ferrari 348 - P 2501
Most ferrari engines do have belts i believe, and they need replacing at about 20,000 miles and it costs loooooaaaads.My next door neighbour of some years back used to have a little business of servicing,restoring and general maintenance of ferraris and lambos.He used to get some amazing cars in and i spent many happy hours chatting to him and watching him service 5 litre v8's. He even had simon le bon on his books for a while!
His wife is just as stunning in the flesh BTW...
Ferrari 348 - petrolheadnomore
Haven't driven the 348, but I have both the 328 and the 355. The 348 when it came out was greeted with general disappointment from the Motoring Press, especially regarding the handling. I seem to recall the model was pitched heavily towards the US market, with consequent softening of the ride etc. However do bear in mind that this judgment was largely in comparison with other Ferraris and in absolute terms the handling was probably quite acceptable. Because of its reputation the 348 is priced very cheaply relative to other similar cars (try getting a 355 below 50 grand), is newer than models like the 328 (where some parts are getting hard to obtain) and was also manufactured at a time when Ferrari's build quality improved greatly. If appearance (it's a good looking car) and charisma are important to you, and you don't anticipate driving it at ten-tenths, I think it's a great buy.
I do agree with the comments on running/servicing costs. You've really got to budget at least 2 grand a year. The 328 and I parted company when the ABS system went, the clutch needed replacing and the 25,000 service came up all at the same time. It needed 6 grand to fix it.