What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
what do you think? - billy25
morning all,
As you will be aware we have recently had a "spate" of threads on the "worst - best - ugliest- etc" features of cars, in which loads of various opinions were expressed.
I was thinking,(oo-er!) what would we get if we had two teams actually building the cars, both starting with an identical bare body-shell, one team using nothing but the good ideas and features, and the other team the negative ones. What would we end up with?, my guess is that the "cars" would not be too different!, both tin hulks of absolute rubbish, and maybe totally undriveable.
my belief is that you need a mixture of good and bad in everything, it`s what makes things work, - what do you think?.

billy.
what do you think? - AngryJonny
Not sure I quite agree.

Surely the bad car would be something like a 2CV with a quartic steering wheel.

Whereas the good car would look like an Alfa 156, drive like a BMW M3 and be as reliable as a Toyota.

I don't really follow how having bad features on a car makes it better than a car that's got all good features. Unless I've misunderstood.
what do you think? - BazzaBear {P}
What I think Billy may do getting at is that all cars are a compromise.
This car is reliable, but it's dull, this car is fantastic to drive, but it only has 2 seats and no luggage space.
I reckon Billy is suggesting that if we were to try to incorporate everything that's best about all cars into one, we'd end up with somethign similar to that designed by Homer Simpson for his brothers company...
what do you think? - billy25
BazzaBear has just put my message over in half the text!!!,
what i was trying to say (i think) is no matter how much makers improve thier products - will we ever be satisfied?.
what do you think? - patently
BB has it re the compromise problem. If Toyota made cars that went like M3s then they wouldn't be as reliable as their previous efforts. Or they would be very much more expensive and overengineered. At which point they would get heavier, and no longer perform like an M3.....