Clio Starting Problem - Stuart25
Hi,
I've got a 1997 1.2 Clio. I've had it since new and it's been regularly serviced. In the last couple of months it's developed an intermittent starting problem. The start motor turns all the time but sometimes it shows no signs of firing. It can take up to ten attempts to start but once it does it runs fine. Sometims though it starts first time.

I've searched the forum and someone had a similar problem when the engine was hot and fixed it by replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor but my problem seems to occur mostly when the engine is cold.

Could it still be the sensor that needs replacing or something else?

It'd definitely getting fuel and I replaced the plugs and leads to try and fix the problem but it's no better.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Stu.
Clio Starting Problem - Peter D
You say you are getting fuel, How do you know ?? If you have been cranking ten times then when it starts I would expect it to be rough at start up until the fuel clears. I suspect that the immobiliser is not seeing the key. Listen very carefully next time you start up to make sure you can hear the fuel pump wind up. then listen evertime you try. I suspect that the immobiliser is not allowing this. If you have fuel then it implies you have a working crank/flywheel sensor so it sould start as long as you have a spark. Check to see if you have a spark in the no start mode. Come back with any results. If you have a spare key use that for a while to see if it is key related. Regards Peter
Clio Starting Problem - Stuart25
Many thanks for your reply.
A friend of my Dad is a mechanic and looked over it and said that it was getting fuel - not sure where he looked for it though. I listened closely this morning when it wouldn't start and could hear a whirring noise that lasted a few seconds. Also, it it's an immobiliser problem, would this clear itself between attempts to start? This morning it took a few attempts to get it going but I did not have to lock and unlock the car.
Cheers.
Stu.
Clio Starting Problem - biggz
There is a fault with the standard clio immobiliser system:

When starting it appears to turn over a couple of times and then everything dies. At the same time you may notice that the on board mileage computer resets aswell. There is no reason why this happens, it has something to do with the immobiliser not reading the key code correctly, however there is no simple fix for this. Ive had the problem on my 98' 1.4 for the past year and renault cant give me an exact cause. They said they could swap the immobiliser system for a new one however this is in the several hundred pound mark and far over expensive. Another solution ive heard is to try a new key but renault charge £146 each for new keys and I feel thats a bit steep. Ive checked the whole electrical system and cannot find a fault or a cause. One way of getting the key to recognise is to give it a tap on the dash before trying to restart. Ive learnt to live with the small problem, the only other soultion would be to remove the immobiliser and fit an aftermarket one, again an expensive option.

Clio Starting Problem - Robin the Technician
Mhas the same car and had the same fault. It was traced to a faulty crank sensor which was working intermittently. Once replaced the car was fine and still is.

Hope this helps
--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
I will look into it, did this show up as a fault code?

Clio Starting Problem - Robin the Technician
Can't remember now but I think the chap who diagnosed the fault said it was a common failure. Also when my nieces boyfriend went to buy the new sensor, he was told the same thing- its a common fault. I always take the cheapest approach and this is probably it. Since hearing about the problem, I've heard mention of the crank sensor problem.
For what it costs from Partco or Halfords it would be my first choice.

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
I have checked the crank sensor and couldnt find an immediate fault howveer if it is intermittent then i may not have found it to be faulty. Have noticed a strange occurence though:
When car is idling and war5ms up, such as in traffic the fan starts up at a certain point, as you would expect. At the same time the engine goe sinto a high idle mode and starts idling at 1400RPM instead of the normal 780. I have not been able to locate the cause of this but if you restart the car it returns to normal, any suggestions to what may be casuing this very annoying fault.

Biggz

Clio Starting Problem - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Crank sensor is a common fault. You will get fuel up to the fuel rail but bacause the ECU cannot 'see' the engine rotating it will not instigate a spark or fuel injection. You will only get the sensor from Renault.
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Clio Starting Problem - PhilW
Quote:-
"I've searched the forum and someone had a similar problem when the engine was hot and fixed it by replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor but my problem seems to occur mostly when the engine is cold."

My son's problem also occurred when engine cold and replacing the CTS solved the problem - try it - it only costs about £25 and is dead easy to do. Thread about it below
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=18...7
Clio Starting Problem - nivek58
This could be a very simple thing to solve, I had the same problem with our 1996 1.2 clio. On the front of the engine, on the starter i think, there is a lucas type connector, pull this off and clean up inside and on the contact tab as well and put it back. This has worked now on mine and a neighbours clio as well. Moisture gets inside because of it's position and corrodes, when cold the corrosion absorbs moisture and breaks the contact.
Let us know if it works
niv
Clio Starting Problem - Wilkinson Sword
my 2000 1.4 clio has suffered intermittent starting problems, and thanks to this thread I have solved them. My problem part was actually none of the above, but you got me looking in the right area.
The throttle position sensor is faulty. When the ignition is turned on, it clicks intermittently, but it is not moving as it should. I removed it and pulled it apart, the movement is still too stiff for it to work as it should, but when pulled partially down and refitted, the car starts and runs, but will not tick over. If i then remove the sensor, push it all the way in and refit it, the car refuses to start, it turns over, but there is no spark. Off to buy a new one,
cheers.
Clio Starting Problem - Gingga

I have reached the end of my teather with my 51 plate clio clio dynamique 1.2 16v, once a week it point blank refuses to start have to push start it. I have replaced the crank shaft sensor with loom, also replaced the coolant temperature sensor to no avail. The most annoying thing is the rest of the time it starts and drives perfect just once a week it wont start when cold.