What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Commuting times increasing - Ben79
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3905597.stm

This suggests that commuting times will increase by 10 minutes by 2021.

It also says that the average suburbanite travels 6,531 miles a year. Does this mean that the Govt's new charging plan will penalise anyone travelling more than 6,000 miles a year?

It blames people using main roads for short journeys, naming the M62. As we know, the M62 is mentioned every day on Radio 2's travel reports.

As I see it, the M62 problem is that Leeds, Bradford, Halifax, Wakefield, Hudds, Oldham and Manchester are all very close to each other, so close that they are all seen as commuter towns for each other.

Moving house to the town you work in isn't the answer because jobs move quicker nowadays and you will find yourself commuting again.

Anyone who has taken the train from Manchester to Leeds or Bradford will agree that it can (is) a nightmare journey. I found it to be 1/2 hour quicker by car from the far side of Bradford to Manchester compared to the train.

Is an extra lane on the M62 the answer, or is there enough space if we all kept to the rules of the road and moved back to the left lane?
Commuting times increasing - BrianW
My commuting time has already increased by 10 minutes over the last ten years.

If they recon it will only increase by a further 10 minutes in the next 17 years, someone is deluding themselves, unless the powers that be are really going to get their finger out, or frighten everybody off the roads.