What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rear Screen Demister - Peter Mason
Help! The connection to the demister on the back window of my wife's Honda has broken off - does anyone know if a conductive adhesive or similar is available to refit it?
I don't want to have to get a new window fitted!
Many thanks in anticipation,
Peter.
Re: Rear Screen Demister - John Slaughter
Peter

You can buy electrically conductive paint from electronics shops(eg Tandy), which with careful masking can be used to repair damaged 'wires' in rear screen heaters. Whether it is strong enough to bond the contacts back on I don't know, but it may be worth a try.

If there is a better solution (in both senses of the word), I'm sure you'll hear soon.

Regards

John
Re: Rear Screen Demister - Darcy Kitchin
I have used Electrocure paint to repair satisfactorily rear window elements, but from esperience, it's not strong enough to support a contact with a wire hanging off it. I got a replacement window from a scrapper at the time to fix the contact problem.
Re: Rear Screen Demister - Alwyn
What about the chrome-coloured metallic tape used to detect a broken window in security alarms?

I wonder what level of current is taken by the heated screen. It would be a lot more than flows in a security alarm circuit, methinks.
Re: Rear Screen Demister - John Davis
Is there enough of the broken "tab" left so that an extension wire could be soldered onto it ? If not, I suggest careful scraping to reveal some bright metal and a suitable guage wire Araldited into position. If the wire and broken stub can be "pinched together, prior to Aralditing, so much the better.
It might be a fiddly and time consuming job but, think of all the money you will save.
Re: Rear Screen Demister - ChrisR
Be very careful with this. The current through the terminal on the demist is very high, so if you cover up too much of the terminal with adhesive, or tape or similar, it will overheat and burst the window, and possibly even start a fire. This is especially true if the connection is not quite perfect.

Chris
Re: Rear Screen Demister - David W
Peter,

Have you comp insurance? Broken glass and all that.

David
Re: Rear Screen Demister - ChrisR
David

I wasn't going to mention that...

Chris
Guy Fawkes night - John Slaughter
Some of those rockets land with one hell of a thump........
Re: Rear Screen Demister - Ian Cook
Peter

Sorry to hear of your problem - been there, seen it, got the T-shirt. It was my son's Astra. You can't solder to the track left on the window (tried it with a hefty iron) and the HRW element draws too much current for conductive paint.

We got out of jail with a self adhesive HRW panel.

Hope this helps.

Ian
Re: Loctite fixative - ian (cape town)
I think loctite make special stuff for this - i recall seeing it advertised.
www.loctite.co.uk
also
www.frostfighter.com
Re: Rear Screen Demister - Mike Jacobs
The best thing to do here is to stick the contact back on the window using araldite. Dont use any other type of adhesive. Then you coat it carefully with that silver looking conductive paint. Be careful not to apply too much and follow the instructions carefully and take your time and let it cure properly. Dont be like me and want to rush things to get them done!
Regards Mike
Re: Rear Screen Demister - Peter M
Thanks, everyone,- lots to think about. I'll try the cheapest fixes first, then a scrap rear window, before deliberately parking under a falling rocket! We do have comprehensive insurance, but the windows have a £40 excess, so it's a last resort. I'll let you know how I get on.
Regards,
Peter.