Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Dynamic Dave

****** Voting over for round four. ******

For the next round, and to see the remaining cars, goto thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23983

Right then, and onto round five and the penultimate round of Big Brother\'s Garage.

Only one car was evicted from the previous round.
See here for further details:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23750&...e

Here are the remaining cars in no particular order.
1. Seat Leon.
2. Alfa 156.
3. TVR Tuscan.
4. Ford Mondeo.
****** EVICTED VW Golf, Lada Samara, Vauxhall Vectra, Renault 5, Austin Allegro, Perodua Nippa, Citroen 2CV, Toyota Landcruiser, Peugeot 405. EVICTED ******

All votes have been reset to zero. Same format as before - nominate two cars for eviction. You don\'t have to give a reason this time - unless of course you nominate something different from the last round of voting.

Next Tuesday, (20th July) is the closing date for nominations. The car with the majority of nominations will be evicted. That will then leave three cars. In the final round you will have to vote for which car you want to win BB\'s Garage.

Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - spikeyhead {p}
The mundano, just because its so mundane

and the Tuscan, for being too impractical
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Altea Ego
Good god, the Mondreario survived. Sure there is skullduggery at work here

Out mondeo, away you go your time has come

Out Leon, you are a mongrel, a parts bin special.

So thats my votes cast now a comment. The 156 in the final, and drop it at the death just to get NDs hopes up and then dosh them at the painful moment ;)
Good god, the Mondreario survived. Sure there is skullduggery at work here

I know. I can\'t believe it either. Especially since the Vectra was booted out in round one (see, no vote rigging by me otherwise it would still be there)

Anyway, I didn\'t vote in the last round, so I\'ll get my nominations in now while I remember.

Mondeo - Rival to the Vectra, but poorly imitated.

Alfa 156 - Followed one once, never again. Had to sell my Vectra B because I couldn\'t shift the diesel fumes that polluted the cabin.

Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - LeePower

The TVR Tuscan & Alfa 156, Both are more likely to let you down & need a tow then either the Mondeo or Leon.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Dave E
>>>The TVR Tuscan & Alfa 156, Both are more likely to let you down & need a tow then either the Mondeo or Leon.<<<

Exactly why I vote for them also.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Cardew
Well presumably the imitation Golf is surviving through sympathy.

So I will go for the Alfa and TVR for eviction and the thrilling shoot-out will be between 2 memorable cars - if I can remember what they are.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - mare
Tuscan - no need

Seat Leon - by default because i can't think why Mondeo should go and the Alfa's good looking.

Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - teabelly
Got to be the leon and the mondeo as the other two I would love to own. The ford and the seat are just too dull for words :-)
teabelly
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - BazzaBear {P}
Mondeo and Leon - again because they're the two I'd be least likely to want to own myself.
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - Vansboy
TVR as before
Mondeo , 'cos I'll have to put up with HJ's sporty Leon, if it beats the 156

VB
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - andymc {P}
Right, I missed the last round, but thankfully the 405 is gone. The Mondeo is still here. Goodbye.

Definitely not voting out the Leon (a chipped 160 bhp turbodiesel for me, HJ!). So I have to evict either the TVR or the Alfa. Haven't driven either of them so can't use that as a criterion.
Plus point for the Alfa - kind of fits some of my criteria for liking the Leon, i.e. decent to drive (allegedly), decent turbodiesel engines. Minus point - it's supposed to have a driving position like that of many a Fiat, ie designed for the inner orang-utan, a problem which nearly crippled me some years ago.
Plus point for the TVR - RWD and horsepower.
Minus point - didn't John Travolta drive one in a desperately bad movie a couple of years ago?

Ah - sorry ND, has to be the Alfa because we need a Rear Wheel Drive car in the final pair. But I really like them both, I wish I didn't have to do this, I feel so awful, I didn't think it would be so hard, etc.

Final word, Mondeo and Alfa to go.
--
andymc
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - teabelly
I'd just like to point out that the alfa 2.4 jtd is standard at 175bhp and that it is easily chips to 200bhp..... blows that leon into the weeds ;-)
teabelly
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - andymc {P}
"the alfa 2.4 jtd is standard at 175bhp and that it is easily chips to 200bhp..... blows that leon into the weeds ;-) "

True, but that Alfa has a 2.4 litre engine, while the Seat has a 1.9 - you're not comparing like with like. Plus, while my slightly older 110 bhp Seat will safely chip to 160, the newer hot ones (to compete with the Alfa you mention) start at 150 bhp before chipping, so 200+ bhp is easily achievable.
Anyway, I like the Alfa, just not as much as the Seat. In fact, if it was allowed I'd be tempted to change my vote and get rid of the Tuscan instead - do Alfas come with 4WD?
--
andymc
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - Vin {P}
Leon - VW by any other name, hence must be unreliable and overpriced.

AlPHa - made out of recycled tin cans. Looks lovely, falls to bits before you've left the showroom.

V
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - Morris Ox
Deep down, I know that the Alfa is really an eye-catching swish of the artist's brush over the usual Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino number-crunching. Deep down, I know that the whole concept of TVR has its origins in 1950s 'bitsa' racers built around big engines.

But I'd rather thave bravura and brawn than blandness. So junk the Leon and the Mondeo.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Sofa Spud
here goes:

Alfa 156, because it looks like it's got a trade number plate stuck on the fromt bumper and the front and rear door handles don't match.

Ford Mondeo, less exciting than the Seat or TVR

cheers, SS
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - PhilW
Leon and Mondeo - same reasons as Round 4
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Hugo {P}
Alfa

Mondeo

It's not a question of why these two, but of what's left. I don't know much about the Leon itself but Seats are like VW quality but less expensive.

The TVR, great car, like it just a little more than the two I've nominated.

It gets tricky...

H
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - MichaelR
TVR: It's vulgar
Leon: I like these, but I like Mondeos more, and to be honest, the Alfa is so good looking it deserves to stay simply for that reason.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Imagos
evict please..

TVR Tuscan... so good i don't even know what one looks like.

Alfa 156.. it's named after a motorway.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - HF
Tuscan - as before - still.

Seat Leon - I'm not sure but I think I've seen these and not liked the look of them much. Tricky this week because Mondeo could come under same category, but I accept I only have 2 votes.

I am not, repeat not, sucking up to ND here, although I'm sure his car is lovely.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - No Do$h
Mondeo. Ooooh, Mr Salesman, you must be sooooo good at your job; they let you have one with alloys and front foglamps.

TVR. I could live with a Griffith because it looks nice. The Tuscan? Well, no. Not even a little bit pleasing on the eye. I have to look at one every day at the office as it's parked within a couple of metres of my desk. No, no, no.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Hugo {P}
TVR. I could live with a Griffith because it looks
nice. The Tuscan? Well, no. Not even a
little bit pleasing on the eye. I have to look
at one every day at the office as it's parked within
a couple of metres of my desk. No, no, no.

I see ND has been banished to the car park by his colleagues then...

H
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Febus
Mondeo- boring

Leon- VAG group parts bin special with a drab interior
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Adam {P}
So it's become more difficult.

Tuscan definitely has to go without a doubt.
Then the Seat. Sorry - I'd rather have all the others but I wouldn't want one of them.

Tuscan
Leon

Adam
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Precrown
Mondeo, Run-of-the-mill, Ho-hum nothing special.
Seat, poor attempt by VW to copy Alfa
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - wrinx
Mondeo, Run-of-the-mill, Ho-hum nothing special.
Seat, poor attempt by VW to copy Alfa

As above...Mundano and the Sofa Seat. One has got to be the dullest and 2nd most common sight on our roads apart from those lousy BM's and the second is a poor 147 immitation...they've gotta go.

Must go sort out the handles on my motorway?!?! Some dim people in this world...its called design, something MANY cars are sadly lacking!

wrinx
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - tr7v8
Leon for it's Golf pretensions & The mondeo cos their are zillions around and although I good car ( I ran one for a year) it's still rep fodder at the end of the day.
Alfa stays in because its practical, not follow the sheep mainstream and puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it. TVR stays in because its more reliable than a lot of people think and RWD drive, genuine British cars have got to survive!

Jim
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - velocemitch
Ok same votes as last time for me,
out with the Mondeo, Good car but I wouldn't want one.
Out with the Leon, same reason.

just leaves the 156, and the TVR, hard choice but the 156 is real for me, the TVR would always be someone elses.

Just a comment....I never realised my 156 had mismatching door handles, is it built wrong or are they all like that....well I never.....

Some stupid people lurking on here....
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Roberson
HI

1. Ford Mondeo

2. TVR Tuscan. Not the kind of car I would have, also, I think its a bit ugly.

Roberson
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Avant
Alfa 156 - as before, too many mixed love-hate messages for it to be a winner.

TVR Tuscan - time for 'Thrills Versus Reliability' to go: patriotic as I try to be, one can get thrills AND reliability elsewhere nowadays.

We could have fun with this game - perhaps one a month - with a list of cars in the same class. As well as being a good game, it might genuinely help people with buying decisions, like today's Fabia v Yaris question.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Malcolm_L
Some folk might argue that the 156 should win because it's evoked more passionate arguments.

Although I've owned a Mondeo and found it to be an extremely capable car, I still found the 156 to be more of a drivers car, more importantly it's got character which is hard to find these days.

If the 2.4JTD was Euro IV compliant I'd be picking one up in August, as it is head won against heart and I'm getting an Accord.

I know I've made the right decision but it won't stop that small twinge every time an Alfa blows by.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - tr7v8
I thought the latest JTD was Euro IV, hence why Vauxhalls will use it.

Jim
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Malcolm_L
AFAIK Vauxhall will use the 1.9 which is Euro IV compliant, this is a newer engine. 2.4 has been around for several years, IIRC it was first seen in the UK in the Marea weekend.
Although a fine engine its not Euro IV compliant, if you then look at the CO2 emissions the 3% surcharge hits hard.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Happy Blue!
Its getting harder.........

Leon - ugly rear end

Mondeo - nothing wrong with it - its just not as exciting as the Alfa and TVR

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - googolplex
Just think it's brilliant that the Mondeo-slaters are still trying to get it evicted - perhaps not so boring as you would think...? Anyway, no doubt it will go this time, so many people not knowing a good car when they see one....

Evict Seat and Alfa...because they're beginning to annoy me.
Splodgeface
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - Malcolm_L

Evict Mondeo - good capable car but bought by fleet operators
rather than selected by drivers

Evict Tuscan - most of the disadvantages of a kitcar plus the
cost of real boys toy.

Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - NARU
Alfa and Seat
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - PR {P}
Evict Mondeo

Evict Seat
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - NowWheels
Evict Alfa 156, 'cos they hid the rear door handles

Evict Seat Leon, 'cos too many of 'em are yellow
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - PAJ
Please evict:

Mondeo
Leon
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Wombat Rick
Please evict the...

Leon - it\'s ugly, got a big fat backside, and a stupid name. They would have been far better off giving it a number if they can\'t think of a good name. The 1.9Tdi is a rattly overboosted wheezy box of lag as well.

Mondeo - it\'s dull and mainstream. It\'s got numberplates in the middle of each end and four identical doorhandles. Must have taken about 30 seconds for them to think of that. Dull, dull, dull. Get rid.

Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Mapmaker
What a mundane bunch of cars we seem to have ended up with here.

Except the Tuscan [vote]. 156.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - BazzaBear {P}
What a mundane bunch of cars we seem to have ended
up with here.
Except the Tuscan [vote]. 156.

Can I just check something?
Did you just complain that the cars left were too mundane, then nominate the two more exciting ones to be evicted?
How confusing.
>>Did you just complain that the cars left were too mundane, then nominate the two more exciting ones to be evicted?
How confusing.

Complain? Observe! Merely going with the throw. I'd have liked the Dyane to win, but it rapidly metamorphosed into that rather dull 2CV.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Mark (RLBS)
>>What a mundane bunch of cars we seem to have ended up with here.

Kind of inevitable when anything with a distinctive factor offends someone.

Surely this, as with the television one, always end up with something akin to the lowest common denominator - something which has nothing in particular going for it but which annoyed people the least.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Stargazer {P}
Mondeo and Seat.....would much rather drive either of the others.

StarGazer
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - bugged {P}
EVICT THE MONDEO for god sake, rubbish heap of junk, my dad had one and it was forever going wrong, piles of bits left on the driveway. although it was good for doing a boot sale in as people must have felt sorry for me and therefore given me more money! ;-))

EVICT THE ALFA. people think they are good looking, i just really dont like them, and they are unreliable from what ive heard, but im glad to say ive had no personal experience.

The TVR sounds nice and they always have lovely paint jobs, wouldnt buy one personally but at least they;re exciting!

Seat, hhmm friend has one, had a few troubles with it but i still like the fact its a VW underneath but cheaper so it kind of laughs at golf drivers. it has a nice quality feel so i think it should stay. it is the best of the remaining cars. at least it will get you home in comfort and relative style.
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - just a bloke
i just really dont like them,

fair enough...
and they are unreliable from what ive heard,

I'm fairly sure you will have just as many people who actually OWN one tell you they are as reliable as any modern car.
but im glad to say ive had no personal experience.

You should lament this fact, Alfas are pure driving experience from 147 Tourismo 1.6 115 BHP to the 166 Super.

;-) do yourself a favour, step outside the box.

JaB

Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - just a bloke
This is getting easier :D

Leon - alfa wannabe
Mondeo - zzzzzzzzzz

JaB

Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - dilbert

1. SEAT leon
2. Mondeo

The TVR and the Alfa have a soul, something completely lacking in the other two dullards.
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - Alfafan {P}
Gotta go:

Mondeo

Leon
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - Civic8
Tvr.sounds nice but looks.well cant say anymore

Although I have changed my mind.Only because I drove one.wasnt impressed.
so my vote`s are Tvr/Mondeo.the later I would not buy.
--
Was mech1
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - HF
From a brief scan of the results, ND is going to win this. Can a final show of public voting change the outcome, or are we going to have one very self-satisfied moderator? (did that in Geordie first but it looked even more ridiculous than my usual posts.)
From a brief scan of the results, ND is going to
win this.

Actually the nominations are very close at the moment. One car has to go from this round, but at the moment there are 2 cars with near as damn it equal votes.

In the final round there will be three cars left and you will be asked to nominate the car that you most want to win. I've had a premonition that ND somehow won't be voting for the Alfa.

I've had a premonition that ND somehow won't be voting for the Alfa.

Hmm, any chance that a flatbed truck could join the garage for the final round?

;-)
Big Brother&#8217;s Garage - Round five. - No Do$h
I could have kept quiet.

I wish I had.

:: shakes fist :::
I could have kept quiet.
I wish I had.

Congrats on being open abt it: many would have kept quiet. And I hope the teasing doesn't put you off :)
>>>one very self-satisfied moderator

Only if his car is working again. Reliable, remember... (See broken down cars thread.)
Big Brother?s Garage - Round five. - algta
Rant ahoy!

Alfa not Alpha
156 rear handles are hidden to make it look more like a coupe - it works.
They are as relaible as other cars - in my experience moreso than Fords.
A GTA will whip any chipped Seat.
Cars named numbers - Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Peugeot and yes Alfa
Cars with names - Ford, Hyundai, Volkswagen, Seat, Nissan
Which has more soul and passion???

I vote Mondeo - nothing wrong but in a vote like this how dull.
And Seat - I like them (Cupra especially) but of the three...

For info, only one car - the Ford Mondeo (30 votes), has been evicted from this round.

Voting over for round four. For the next round, and to see the remaining cars, goto thread:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23983