Autotrader v/s ebay - JohnM52
One answer could be that most people visitng here already have Autotrader set up on their own computer with all their own preferences for the search?
Autotrader v/s ebay - Mark (RLBS)
because most people display 25 lines of the directory listing. And at that screen size the autotrader ad is off the bottom.

Mind you that would only affect the small amount of people who go there from the Backroom, I don\'t really know why the rest of the people who go there from the rest of the HJ site would be affected - unless of course the majority of visitors to this advert were from the Backroom.
Autotrader v/s ebay - BazzaBear {P}
For my use, that link would be more useful if it allowed you to put in keywords (as the full search does on their own site)
Dunno if that is possible though.
Didn't realise that from your point of view hits on that (with no sales necessarily being involved) would help. I will endeavour to use it from now on, it's not like the 2 or 3 extra clicks I'll need will cause me too much hardship...
Autotrader v/s ebay - Sooty Tailpipes
I think when the ads have been there a while, they become 'invisible' I usually notice new ones, and then get used to them forming the border and don't see them unles they change colour or something. To be honest, I could have spent ages on here, and then if you had of asked me if there was an Autotrader advert on here, I wouldn't have been able to tell you......In fact if I wanted to go on autotrader, I would just type www.autotrader.co.uk
I think the adverts on your page are good as a way of increasing knowledge of the existence of these sites, but once people know, or if they already know, they will just go straight to those sites, not via your click-throughs....I think the trick is to change the adverts frequently, or at least the design of long-standing ones, especially with special offers and promotions.
Autotrader v/s ebay - Happy Blue!
Yup, I concur. I regularly visit Autotrader, but have it set up on Favourites anyway with the full search facility. Never tried E-bay, not my cup of tea.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Autotrader v/s ebay - Pezzer
"I think when the ads have been there a while, they become 'invisible' I usually notice new ones, and then get used to them forming the border and don't see them unles they change colour or something. To be honest, I could have spent ages on here, and then if you had of asked me if there was an Autotrader advert on here, I wouldn't have been able to tell you..."

Agree totally.
Autotrader v/s ebay - Ben79
Sorry HJ, when I wanted to look on Autotrader I opened a new internet explorer window and started typing www.autotr the computer filled the rest in and I never even noticed that you had an advert for it.

If you get a tiny commission for every search, I will use that in future.
Autotrader v/s ebay - carl_a
Same as SeeFive, I hadn't noticed it either. Auto Trader is also useful for new car prices, as many dealers will put in special offers. There was a new Daihatsu Charade 5dr with Met Paint the other week for £5000

I will also you the HJ Autotrader search in the future.
Autotrader v/s ebay - henry k
I used the link several times every day for a couple of months until I found a car the end of last month.
I agree it was a little extra effort to resubmit my specific requirements each time.
I was looking to buy from a dealer and rarely looked at Ebay.
I was a little disappointed with the seach parameters and had to still scan down screens for my simple basic requirement "4 doors".
I agree with HJ.I found it very useful to get a feel for the going price for a vehicle. The ones I thought were too highly priced I saw displayed for weeks and weeks.
Autotrader v/s ebay - Mapmaker
Prada shoes; lacy tops, etc. That's why the ebay ad is better than the autotrader one...

Ah well, every time I go to eBay I'll now have to go via HJ - as I do with Autotrader. Agree that the Autotrader link could do with an extra parameter or two, but then it's only an extra click to make those adjustments when you get there - easier than typing www.autotr in the address bar!

Autotrader v/s ebay - frostbite
For some peculiar reason, on my browser list of favourites, the HJ link has been showing an eBay icon against it for some time - anyone else getting this?
Autotrader v/s ebay - Altea Ego
The autotrader link is not usefully designed. As described you have to change parameters once you get there.

All it needs is the autotrader logo to take you to the site, not all this gubbins you need to fill in first.
To be fair, the link, as is, is helpful for reading some posts, so that, say, one can look at a picture of an Alfa 156 (which one has never seen in real life, as they're so unpopular). It's one click fewer than going to the Autotrader site & filling in the boxes.
Autotrader v/s ebay - Happy Blue!
Ooooppff - thats a bit below the belt
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Autotrader v/s ebay - No Do$h
To be fair, the link, as is, is helpful for reading
some posts, so that, say, one can look at a picture
of an Alfa 156 (which one has never seen in real
life, as they're so unpopular). It's one click fewer than
going to the Autotrader site & filling in the boxes.

Next time you're on a hunt, have a look in the next field. The 156JTD is the red thing pulling the plough.
So where is eBay in HJ's guide of how to sell (& indeed buy) a car?