What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo V70 - Stew
Can somebody help me, please

My 1999 V70 eats dip beam headlight bulbs (10 in 18 months). I use the daylight running mode (my previous S40 ran 3 years with them on without a single failure)

Also, quite often the ABS cuts in, on light pedal pressures, at about 30 MPH. I've read somewhere that this is a self-test routine. Can anyone confirm?
Re: Volvo V70 - David W
Stew,

Do you mean it pulses the pedal, the light comes on or the braking is actually increased/decreased by the system?

David
Re: Volvo V70 - Stew
It pulses the pedal
Re: Volvo V70 - Stuart B
Strangely enough a previous car (405) ate headlight and other bulbs till we sorted out the engine earth strap. (Not the 405 with alarm wiring fault in an earlier fred) Maybe an electrician can explain that one, probably elementary my dear Wattson.... no not you Chris no disrespect.
Re: Volvo V70 - Alwyn
I once saw a Mini choke cable glow red because of a loose earth strap.

The heavy current taken by the starter motor was taking the path of least resistance back to the battery.
Re: Volvo V70 - John Slaughter
Stuart

Maybe the poor earth was upsetting the alternator Voltage Regulator, resulting in high voltage output, or maybe voltage spikes?

regards

John
(Mechanical Engineer)
Re: Volvo V70 - Honest John
I've had enough complaints about V70s eating daylight running light bulbs to justify adding the problem to the car by car breakdown.

HJ
Re: Volvo V70 Daylight running lights - John Slaughter
Stew

Friend of mine had a V70 for a while a couple of years back. On his car there was a small screwdriver operated switch, I think below the main light switch, which could be used to disable the daylight running lights. His car certainly didn't have them on. Might be a solution to the problem if you are not desparate to use them. Check the handbook, I think it's in there somewhere.

A thought - are these daylight running lights full brilliance or are they operated through a resistor to make them less bright like the dim-dip system? If so this could be the problem. Like any tungsten filament bulb, the filament loses material at high temperature. That's why the glass goes black with age. In a Quartz halogen lamp the quartz envelope is expected to get hot enough to release the deposited material back to the gas, and eventually to be redeposited on the filament. Running at a lower current may interfere with this process.

Regards

John
Re: Volvo V70 - Randolph Lee
john Has it spot on here I think... if the day running light is at a reduced voltage than the halogen redeposition of filliment metal may not be happening and if the car is not driven enough at night with the lights at full voltage to provide said redeposition then bulb life could suffer...

Randolph
Re: Volvo V70 - ROBIN
Strangely my 405 eats headlight bulbs,but not others.I put it down to the headlight units vibrating on their mountings,but I may well be wrong.
Where is this earthing strap then?
bet its not acessible!
Re: Volvo V70 - Roy
Years ago a friend mentioned a similar problem with another make of car and I discovered that his main beam was not switching off i.e. he had all that heat, effectively 'cooking' the elements. Possibility??

cheers