What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Parking Regulations - Bob H
I work in Central London and my journey to work is approx 3 miles. I have a parking space at work but sometimes go by bus. The whole route is either single or double yellow lines, Red route or bus lanes.

The bus lanes in the morning rush hour are simply used as loading bays for delivery vans and often the bus never even gets into the bus lane except for stops. If the yellow lines denote a restriction it is totally ignored; even the red route frequently has vans parked on the solid red line.

I have never seen a Council 'Meter Maid' (of either sex) before 9am and the many police in Central London ignore illegal parking; given the current security situation that is perhaps understandable.

Ken Livingstone is shortly to introduce a £5 daily congestion charge to enter Central London and other towns will surely follow. I am convinced that a simpler solution would be to rigorously enforce parking regulations during the rush hour. As most of the roads in cities are covered by CCTV it would be relatively easy to do this.
Re: Parking Regulations - Andy
Come on, Bob - You really ought to know that this is a deliberate ploy to cause further congestion so that the government can point to 'increasing car use' and further clamp down on car use. Failing to enforce the parking regs conveniently reduces the effective width of the road, causing all traffic to be trapped behind the leading vehicle, and that is usually a bus! Another New Labour job done!