What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Garage floor paint - volvoman
Now I'm in DIY mode I'm considering a job I've been putting off for quite some time - repainting the garage floor. The floor is about 26'x 10' and is covered with a grey 'flexible' type coating which is flaking off in large patches. It has been done for over 20 years and I'd like to cover it with something smart and durable without entirely removing the existing coating if that's possible (clearing everything out's gonna be enough work on its own!). The garage is integral to the house and isn't damp save a small patch near the door. Has anyone got any ideas on how best to do it and what to use?

Thanks all.
Garage floor paint - Altea Ego
This is only based on personal experience, and someone may have a better idea, but:

That flaking paint is gonna have to come up. Its obviously loosing its grip to the floor which means you cant paint whatever you like over it but it will lift up later. There may be some stabilising solutions you can try, but i doubt it.
Garage floor paint - arnold2
Since I need to do this from scratch soon, anyone in BR recommend a good paint to use - the current floor is like a land of dust ... :-((
Garage floor paint - memyself-aye
put down a laminated floor with the attendant green square matting underneath - not as daft as it sounds as laminate is cheap as chips these days, is durable, dead easy to clean (oil wipes off) and comfortable to crawl around under cars on. I have an MGB sitting on just such a floor (hence the need for an easy wipe surface!!)
Garage floor paint - SjB {P}
...put down a laminated floor...

I had the same idea, to keep down concrete garage floor dust and make it more pleasant to crawl around on when servicing SWMBO's Pug, at low cost, but discounted it because of the 'whoosh' factor should anything above flash point land on it...
Garage floor paint - AN Other
Halfords sell a garage floor paint, as far as I remember. It has the usual qualities - wipe clean and dust sealing etc. Not sure about prep.
Garage floor paint - NARU
Something like this ...?

www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8998
Garage floor paint - martint123
I used that thick garage floor paint a few years ago. It is showing signs of flaking where it gets abraided. Oil does it no good either.

I'm contemplating that two part epoxy floor covering as used in factories etc as it fills the ripples in the concrete and gives a nice smooth surface. The only thing putting me off is the cost and the nightmare of emptying the place.
A2 - Try sealing it with a PVA based concrete sealing solution - cheap and easy to do.

RF - most of that which is flaky has flaked its last flake. Are you saying it's enough to remove the loose stuff and then clean and repaint over the rest?

ps - fancy popping over one weekend to show me how to do it? :)
Are you *sure* that "that that is flakey will flake no more?" If you can be sure then try this, you half answered your own question.

Wire brush all round the flakey bits. Then paint with PVA all the edges of the bare/now brushed flaked areas, use a watered down solution first, this should leach under any loose areas. Then paint with garage floor paint.

This will not prevent a sneaky area you never suspected flaking later tho.
Garage floor paint - Sooty Tailpipes
At work we have several workshops, only one was done several years ago with 2 part epoxy, I have no idea how much it cost, but it's worth every penny, after around 10 years, it cleans up as new, has no defects or flakes, It is also a nice silk finish
Also, it can be put on thicker to fill voids or cracks as it cures rather than dries.

The other worksops are paited, and need to be repainted annually, are glossy, flakey and rubbish, items left standing for a few weeks will have paint stuck to the bottom.
Garage floor paint - NowWheels
When I investigated getting my garage floor painted, my local Johnstone's Paints depot (now part of Leyland paints) recommended their 2-part expoxy stuff.

Others who've tried it say that it is very durable, which doesn't surprise me: I've always been very pleased with Johnstone's paints, very good quality and much cheaper than the big retail brand names. Most of their customers are tradespeople.

The only problem was that it was going to cost about £50 for my garage, which I thought was too much for a garage floor. For my money, there are much nicer things to do with £50!
Garage floor paint - Vansboy
Similar ideas with me, but I've got to get some 'stuff' to level the floor first. & it's a brand new floor in the extension!!

Check www.watco.co.uk - had their brochures before, but never actually tried the product.

Guess your old paint might come off easier if you put Nitromours(spelling)stripper, or similar on first, then used a pressure washer.

I think it must be the sun causing us all to have such strange ideas, on how to spend our relaxation time??!!

VB
Garage floor paint - hxj

It really depends on what you want to do with the garage.

On a normal concrete garage floor 'International Garage Floor Paint' or similar will do fine, if you have the sort of garage that I do, car goes in very ocassionally. Make sure you seal the concrete first.

If it is going to take heavy wear then get a proper professional finish, will take a huge amount of wear and will be worthwhile in teh long term, alough will cost a fair bit up front.
Garage floor paint - Ian D
The International/B&Q/Screwfix/Wickes garage floor paints which are all about £15-£30 per 2.5 to 5 litre tin are all white spirit based and are fine but not too durable, they flake eventually and where the tyres sit the paint can lift. The best way as has been suggested is the 2 part epoxy based coatings, which cost 5 or 10 times as much but are definitely worth it. Our aircraft hangar at work has aircraft up to 30,000 lbs gross weight on it with the weight split between 6 tyres (ie 5,000 lbs per tyre) and the epoxy coating is as 'ard as nails'. Worth the extra outlay.
Garage floor paint - syarx
We had this applied to the factory floor. It was very tough but became very slippery when wet.
Thanks for all the help folks. As always, some of these helpful replies have made me think. The floor I have has a nice smooth finish where the concrete has been screeded. The existing grey finish has been applied to that and has lasted very well. The garage doesn't get hard use - it's really a storage space in which a car gets put from time to time. I don't tend to crawl around on the floor there is no dust to worry about. I can see how such coverings might adhere to car tyres and lift in these places but this hasn't happened to mine in the past when my volvo 940 and Rover 820 were parked on it regularly (that was in the days before I collected so much 'stuff').

Another question arises - could such a job be done in 2 halves to avoid having to empty and store the garage contents for days? Believe me that would be a mammoth task I'd really rather avoid.

Thanks all.
Garage floor paint - madf
If painting with standard floor paint you can split the floor up and do in sections.
I did that with our garage - 3 sections.

We garage our cars nightly and the standard floor paint is not durable and lifts where the tyres are. I intend to use expoxy paint: but a major exercise in clearing and cleaning:-(

madf

Thanks Madf - that makes me wonder though why the old stuff on my floor has never been lifted by car tyres. Could the reason be damp ? As I said, my garage is integral - as such I'd have thought it'd probably less likely to suffer damp. What's your garage like ? Is there any sign of damp?

There's no way I'm gonna empty my garage!
Go on VM - empty that garage, from the sound of it it needs a good clear out anyway. ;)
Yeah that's true RF but what would I do with all my 'stuff' - you know, bits of wood, carpets, tiles, tools (lots & lots of them!), paint, dried up brushes, household supplies, freezers, golf clubs, bikes, scooters, push chairs, car seats etc. etc.*

I've already got my roof box strapped to the ceiling for God's sake!

Mind you, it does mean that I don't get to see too much of the flakey floor.

* and that's AFTER my last clear out a week or two ago :(
Garage floor paint - Vin {P}
OK, simple solution to clearing out a garage:

Switch off the "This might come in useful" mentality.

Switch on a "Have I used this in the past 2 years?" mentality. If not, throw it out. You need to use a little intelligence for tools, etc, but you get the picture. If you've not used it in 2 years, you're never going to.

I moved house once and got my entire possessions down to eight boxes (four of them books) using this method. I have NEVER missed anything I threw out.

And hire a skip - much easier to be ruthless if you don't have to go to the tip, otherwise you keep things because they are big.

HTH,

V
Volvoman
Yes: I have a pit and slight rising damp. Going to reseal floor and hope it works...

madf

Garage floor paint - THe Growler
Oh, Sir Vin, how I wish...... "Babes I need some money for the carpenter. What the hell for? We've got so much stuff now I've asked him to make another cupboard for it all..........."

I daren't move from here. They couldn't get that many 40' containers up the street. The power lines are too low anyway.

Having been involved with aircraft hangars (as it were) I believe the 2 stage epoxy paint is the way to go (grey is nice, you've got that anyway it seems, easy to clean and very handy for finding that spring washer which lives up to its name and pings into places you never knew you had) but I would say you have to clean everything back to zero first. But then planes are a bit more fussy than cars so you might get away with just covering the existing.

Even so I would if it was me do it right first time. Extra effort but it will probably see you right for the next decade or two. I have it on my carport area since around '95, little bit of peeling probably because my preparation wasn't 100% but by and large it's proved very durable.
Garage floor paint - BobbyG
Am I missing something here? My garage floor is still the original concrete base, totally unpainted. Why would you want to paint it? Does it seal it and protect it from moisture etc ( I have noticed a few hairline cracks in it though they may well have been there from day 1!)

Incidentally, when the builders put mine in, instead of smoothing the concrete they put slight "ridges" in it. Made it look a bit of a cheap job but they said this is deliberate to provide better grip as bringing a wet car onto a smooth concrete base could provide scope for sliding, especially if the temp was really cold.
Garage floor paint - just a bloke
Am I missing something here? My garage floor is still the
original concrete base, totally unpainted. Why would you want to paint
it? Does it seal it and protect it from moisture etc
( I have noticed a few hairline cracks in it though
they may well have been there from day 1!)
Incidentally, when the builders put mine in, instead of smoothing the
concrete they put slight "ridges" in it. Made it look a
bit of a cheap job but they said this is deliberate
to provide better grip as bringing a wet car onto a
smooth concrete base could provide scope for sliding, especially if the
temp was really cold.

Ha ha... builders don't ya love 'em with their quaint little ways...
I'm afraid that your builders just like mine were lazy.. :-(
> I'm afraid that your builders just like mine were lazy.. :-(

Errr no! it actually takes more effort to put uniform ridges in concrete than not. Flat smooth wet concrete is very slippy, so builders who think will put ridges in. One builder friend of mine uses a stiff broom to score the newly laid wet concrete.
Scoring with a stiff broom is one thing leaving big deep ridges is another thing entirely.

putting ridges in a concrete surface is in fact very easy and is achieved by the backwards and forwards sawing motion as the overall level is achieved.

;) As a ex groundworker I could probably tell you a thing or two about concrete laying RF
Depends how wet your last barraloads of muck was JaB. Tamping the leveling board up and down will bring the moisture to the surface and then sawing the board across using the shuttering to level while wet will get it as smooth as a babies botty. Allow the moisture to evaporate, and the top to cure a bit, brush with a stiff bristle brush across the top, and then round the edges with nice wet float to get smooth edges.

Pretty as a picture.
Quick! Someone hire that man RF, he's obviosuly got the knowledge and loads of spare time ....

Rates for Mates and all that?? :)
Artiste VM, you cant afford me.
Garage floor paint - bugged {P}
well in our garage and every other garage ive ever seen has a very slightly ridged floor, i actually believe its true that the smoother the floor the more slippery it is when wet, there is a car park near us with a perfect smooth floor that gets pretty nasty in bad weather,

anyway we ordered some of this paint from screwfix, called garage floor paint and its grey but not sure what make or anything, we tried a tiny piece in teh corner and it looks good, will hopefully keep it less dusty and be easier to clean,

several things on here had made me think we need to seal teh concrete floor first, can someone please explain why, i dont pretend to be a builder do i do think things done properly, i dont really want to send the paint we;ve got back to screwfix but now im thinking we should have gone for this expoxy stuff,

its all tooooooo confusing, please help!!

Garage floor paint - bugged {P}
oh goody you posted the same time as me RF im glad i was right!!
Garage floor paint - trancer
www.pafsystem.com/pages/flooring.htm

I came across this company while leafing through some car show materials. While it isn't a paint and it is likely to cost alot more than paint I think it is worth a look. You wouldn't have to bother removing your old flaking paint, the flooring could be laid in sections, so you wouldn't have to totally empty your garage (and leave things out while the paint dries) and if you sell house you can pick it up and take it with you to use in your next garage.
www.pafsystem.com/pages/flooring.htm
I came across this company while leafing through some car show
materials. While it isn't a paint and it is likely
to cost alot more than paint I think it is worth
a look. You wouldn't have to bother removing your old
flaking paint, the flooring could be laid in sections, so you
wouldn't have to totally empty your garage (and leave things out
while the paint dries) and if you sell house you can
pick it up and take it with you to use in
your next garage.

That stuff looks pretty good... :s no prices on the site tho' which is kinda scary :s

I'd love a smoother garage floor, mine is like a relief map of the Andes :-(
www.screwfix.com

Found this neat, tidy and portable solution - Heuga contract grade heavy duty interlocking recycled vinyl foor tiles. Only problem is that the cost is £35psm !!!! For my garage that equates to £910! What on earth are they recycled from?

They also sell a Leyland polyurethane based Heavy Duty floor paint @ £13.99 per 2.5l (for garages, workshops, warehouses) and a heavy duty anti-slip floor paint for the same price. Sounds cheap but is it any good?

NoWheels - is this the same stuff you mentioned?
They look very similar to the Heuga tiles in Screwfix @ £35psm.
The trouble with garage floors is that they usually keep cars on top of them:-)
And cars = warm tyres = strip paint.

I'm trying International Garage Floor Paint (gray): have just painted the entire 60 (odd) square metres less one edge which I shall complete tomorrow. 5 litres covers it all (brush, not roller, previouslt painted, lifted in parts , sealed with concrete PVA sealant) Lovely warm weather for doing it. Took about 12 hours work including moving bits/cleaning but 48 hours elapsed time.

Will report when it has fully dried and been in use for a while...

madf

Garage floor paint - frostbite
Would (marine) deck paint be any good here? Used it once to good effect on van floor.
60 sq metres = 600 sq ft!
Hey that's some garage MadF!

Do let us know how you get on.

ps any chance of a quote? :)
Garage floor paint - Tony Bee
I had a dusty garage floor.So I got a 5 gallon drum and over the years I put all the dregs of my house decorating emulsion paint into it.Provided you scrub the paint into the surface it sticks very well.True-on heavy wear areas like tyre tracks it tends to flake but with each patch up it gets more durable.
Clearly the colour you get depends on what your better half chose for the bedroom walls, and some of the shades that were produced were really vile but it was cheap effective and saved waste and contaminating the local land-fill site..
It was also a talking point for anyone who saw what looked like a patchwork quilt and felt ill.
I reccomend the idea.
volvoman
house is over 180 years old. In 1975, the outbuildings were demolished and a treble garage built plus a granny flat(and the attic above it is partially floored). Pit in central garage: all side by side with 3 upandover doors.

(Owner then was a car nut and owned an Aston Martin DB6 - so I am told).

We bought the house cheap in 1982 in the middle of a recession. It needed a new damp proof course and new central heating:-)

madf

Garage floor paint - stokie
My impression of house builders is that they use the cheapest possible materials, so I blame the dusty concrete on them.

Could builders tarmac garage floors? Or is there a non-dusty concrete?

£50 for the exoxy sounds well worth it, where's it available from?
Garage floor paint - wemyss
Much of the problems relating to dusty floors are related to when it is initially put down.
A good concrete slab with a concrete specification such as 27NM (in old spec) will not dust. However to get a good smooth surface requires that it is floated (trowelled) at just the right time. This could be perhaps a couple or many more hours depending on the weather. Contractors often get round this by simply using a compound Leveltex or similar when the concrete has cured. This is poured on in a liquid texture and does as it says and gives a smooth finish with little effort. However it can tend to be dusty. I think you will find many garage floors have this method used and whilst owners may think it is a solid concrete slab will find it has a skimming of Leveltex on.
The main reason this is used in new work is that you could have men standing around for a long time waiting for newly poured concrete to get to the curing stage when it can be floated to a good standard.
On concrete pours when I needed a good finished floor I always arranged with the men to stop on overtime however long to attain a good finish and tried to arrange deliveries of readymix early in the day.
My own garage has a skim and a few years ago I gave it a couple of coats of concrete floor paint. For some strange reason which I have never fathomed is that since doing so in certain weather conditions condensation is created on the floor. I?ve theorised on this with others but with no credible answer.
However as stated above whatever paint you use should really have a PVA sealer such as Unibond put down first before painting. Personally if I was doing it again I wouldn?t use concrete floor paint but go for one of the epoxy two stage as previously described.
Well it's now 3 weeks since I painted it.

Used International Garage Floor Paint having sealed all lifting paint/ bare concrete , cleaned old oil stains, and generally prepared as well as I could. Painted it on 2 nice warm days and left cars off surface for 36 hours

Result: nice looking floor. And whilst the weather was dry: no problems.

But put cars away when wet, and tyres lift paint where they rest overnight. Rest of floor OK.

So no better off except garge smells cleaner, looks cleaner and was cleared out.

Conclusion: expoxy paint next time...10years time

madf

Sorry to hear that Madf - if the rest of the floor is fine could you not put something down to cover the small areas where the car tyres sit?
Sorry to hear that Madf - if the rest of the
floor is fine could you not put something down to cover
the small areas where the car tyres sit?

Good idea volvoman.. and here I\'m being lazy:-)
We get all sorts of leaves blown in from our yard - summer and winter - and other muck - straw/grass etc. So any cover is likely to collect rubbish round the edges. (Fields opposite garage doors with oak trees)

More relevant, I think a layer of black thin rubber (carpet underlay?) might work: but as I never reverse my car in straight each track width would have to be 1 metre wide:-(.

I\'ll think about your suggestion and see what I can come up with..Thanks

madf

MadF - What about fixing down some vinyl floor covering or carpet tiles either in the 4 points where the tyres stand or in 2 parallel strips wide enough for you to reverse/drive along? Bet you don't really need 1m width! :)
Garage floor paint - Dynamic Dave
Or leave the car outside and use the garage to keep the lawnmower, freezer, and kids toys in ;o)
Good idea: have some old carpet tiles...

Lawnmower, freezer, workbench already in. (It's a 3 car garage with 3 doors:-)

madf

Garage floor paint - Soupytwist
Something like this perhaps (currently available at your local Lidl)

tinyurl.com/6bhux

and you could pick up an electronic tyre pressure guage while you're there.
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Garage floor paint - BillKestrel

Be warned: whatever you do, do not use Johnstone's Flortred!

I had two coats professionally applied to a new floor and left it for weeks. It sticks and lifts onto the tyres of anything parked on it!

The makers, PPG Industries deny any responsibility for the mess I am left with.

Garage floor paint - SUKOEPOXY

Spam deleted.

Edited by Avant on 09/04/2016 at 15:20

Garage floor paint - Engineer Andy

spam (they posted this on the page about the Toyota recall as well)

Edited by Engineer Andy on 09/04/2016 at 10:04

Garage floor paint - joegrundy

Makes a change from k****** u****, I suppose.