What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Multi-tone horns - vin
In a desire to be really cheesy, I'm looking to get hold of one of the "Colonel Bogey" horns that were all the vogue in the 70s. Anyone know where I can get hold of one?
Re: Multi-tone horns - Ian Aspinall
Is that the one the Dukes of Hazzard had on the General Lee?

There's a selection of musical horns here anyway:
www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=4546

And congrats to yourself and Mrs Vin on the new baby! I've had my pint for you, but unfortunately I live in London, so that's £3.75 you owe me. Virtual cheques accepted.
Re: Multi-tone horns - Dwight Van-Driver
Vin..

Don't buy Col Bogey Horns instead put the cash in a Bank Account for the new one. They are illegal.

Audible Warning Instruments:-

Reg 37(1) Motor Vehicles (Con & Use ) Regs 1989 outlines that vehicles shall be fitted with a horn that have a max speed of more than 20mph, not being a reversing alarm or two tone horn.

Reg 37(2) Motor Vehicles (Con & Use) Regs, 1989 states that the sound emitted
by a horn other than a reversing alarm or two tone (see later) shall be continous, uniform and not strident.

Reg 37(5,6,7) outline exemptions to two tone horns, gongs, sirens etc. of which you are not..............so thats another £1000 fine you could land yourself with.

Unless you are going to inform members of the public that you have goods on board for sale, hence the ice cream wallahs that tour the estates etc.
Re: Multi-tone horns - Mark (Brazil)
The way around this used to be to have both - the normal horn and the sad tune.
Re: Multi-tone horns - sam
still legal on pre 73 cars
Re: Multi-tone horns - Dwight Van-Driver
Sam

Absolutely correct, applies to vehicles first used after 1st August 1973 . I thought Vin was getting something modern?

If not then go to Reg 97 .....No motor vehicle shall be used on a road in such a manner as to cause any excessive noise which could have been avoided by the exercise of reasonable care on the part of the driver.

I gather South Coast Plods used this to sort out boy racers driving up and down the front at Brighton with windows wide open and radio on full blast.

;-o
Re: Multi-tone horns - THe Growler
What a shame all the legal eagles are so adept at finding out the fun-spoiling bits. I have a lovely horn made in China, called The Computerized Horn. It has the conventional-shaped horn which goes under the hood. This is wired to a black box in the cabin with a four way switch: bullfrog, woop-woop, trumpet or LAPD siren, depending on mood. Available in any auto shop and very popular in South East Asia. Cost around UKL15.
Re: Multi-tone horns - Vin
What we have here is a total lack of respect for the law.

I'm a mad rebel, me...
Twenty-Two Tune Horn, BRILL. - ladas are cool
i have a twenty-two tone patriotic musical horn, and i have never been stopped because of it. the tunes include...the dam busters, god save the queen, and four of the james bond theme tunes, and it only cost me £29.95 to buy, it also has a dial on the dashboard to change from one tune to the other.
Re: Twenty-Two Tune Horn, BRILL. - Dwight Van-Driver
L.A.D.

Diven't tell awl aboot yer harn or Whitley Bay polis el av yew.
Re: Twenty-Two Tune Horn, BRILL. - ladas are cool
dear chap, what on earth are you talking about, i live in north shields and have never talked like that, toodle pip old chum. ps, haway the lads, toon army.